Marin : Stolen - Found - Stolen again (Taunton/Wakefield)

huskyboy64
huskyboy64 Posts: 24
edited April 2010 in MTB stolen
Long story short.....My son had his Marin Rock Springs stolen from Taunton (Somerset). I managed to trace it to Wakefield (Yorks.) Called Police, gave 'em name and address of guy in Wakefield. Police said "the officer dealing with this case won't be in for a day or two but i'll flag it on his computer" !?!? So i drove from somerset to wakefield and rang 'em again when i was outside the blokes house....surprise, surprise they turn up pretty quick, but wouldn't seize the bike!?!?
On New Years day they turn up on the doorstep and tell my 11 year son that his pride and joy will be coming home after they've finished with it.
6 weeks later i ring the cops to find out what's happenning, only to be told that the bike was somehow "stolen" from the guy who had it in Wakefield, they hadn't siezed it and it has now disappeared.
So they LIED to my son, and were so INCOMPETENT/NEGLIGENT that the bike has now disappeared AGAIN.
I did their job for them, all they had to do was pick the bike up and sort out the scum bags who nicked it. USELESS ******S

So if any of you out there hears of or knows of someone who's just got a 02/03 Silver Rock Springs TARA, with Tioga DH tyres and a leaky Air Shock, please let me know.

Pissed off dad.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could the police be held liable for this?
  • Thats awful mate, another classic story of police incompetence on here..
  • Thats awful mate, another classic story of police incompetence on here..
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    supersonic wrote:
    Could the police be held liable for this?

I've got to agree on that, it can't be rocket science to realise that the guy would get rid of the bike as soon as he knew the plod were on to him.
  • CowboyBob
    CowboyBob Posts: 977
    Since you know where the thieving scum bag lives, why not pop by and lob a petrol bomb through his window and make him look like a sausage that has been left on a BBQ for 7 days.
    I'm sure one of the Legal Eagles on the forum will be along in a moment to let us know if you could get into trouble for doing it.

On a serious note, make a formal complaint against the officers involved. :lol:
    Cowboy by name, Cowboy by nature ...... and sick \'n\' twisted to boot!!!

http://www.wetshovel.vox.com

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1081352/
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    edited March 2010
    Bloody nightmare eh.

Sadly it seems bike theft is treated like car crime along the lines of issuing crime numbers.

Seems the best way to deal is to find the bike (usually they show up in a few areas in each city), then call 999 saying you think someone is about to be beaten to death at the address.......see how fast they show up then!!
  • andyrm
    CowboyBob wrote:
    Since you know where the thieving scum bag lives, why not pop by and lob a petrol bomb through his window and make him look like a sausage that has been left on a BBQ for 7 days.
    I'm sure one of the Legal Eagles on the forum will be along in a moment to let us know if you could get into trouble for doing it.

On a serious note, make a formal complaint against the officers involved. :lol:

The thief just wants to be thankful he's not in Uganda!!!!

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... /5127.html
  • afield23
    afield23 Posts: 19
    Thats an awful story, makes you proud to pay your taxes huh!

I had the same thing when i was younger, had my Voodoo stolen from inside my workplace and then waiting at a bus stop that night I noticed it straight away ( it was unique and stood out to me ), anyway being 6'2" and bigger than him I ripped him off the bike. He told me it was his mates so I marched him to where this guy lived and met his Dad who was genuinely understanding ( I think he knew his son was an ass hole!). I left with the bike and the guy was arrested and charged with theft.

Bit of a result, but then it was stolen again a few weeks later and was never seen since.

I hope it turns up for your son, if not wire the next one up to the mains, although of course that would result in you being arrested STRAIGHT AWAY.
    Don't do 6ft drops on a carbon full suss trail bike, it doesn't work. Ask my fractured Great Trochanter, he will tell you.
  • andyrm
    Sadly that is very true - you can bet your bottom dollar the police response to vigilante bike recovery crews would be a lot more proactive than they are for catching what must be repeat bike thieves........personally I think that the second a bike thief chooses to break the law and steal your bike, they then forfeit any protection in law from anything that happens to them as a consequence of that action. Sadly the system doesn't agree it would seem......
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    Spot on Andy.

I always wanted to wire my garden shed to the mains but my missus was moaning about someone getting hurt. Sure enough my bikes were stolen eventually, now I've got these protecting it - http://www.henrykrank.com/alarm_mine.html

Thieves are scum and should be treated as such.
  • andyrm
    I hear a rumour that some home insurance companies will give you a discount for having suitable fire protection on your house and outbuildings.

So if you were to fit one of these: http://www.afaefire.co.uk/html/gas_flooding_co2.html and also have an override that connected it to your alarm system............ :twisted:
  • Thanks for all the sympathy guys. The (TAUNTON) copper in charge of the case felt so guilty about what has happened, that he's sent me a copy of the entire case log so i can see how many times he requested Wakefield police to pick the bike up. So an official complaint is about to happen and i think a good case for some compensation...
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    Thats good of him to do that, still a shame. Good luck with chasing this up!
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Given you have the police log, why don't you take the scum bag through the small claims court. Would be worth it for the entertainment value alone and if he doesn't turn up then you'll be able to send the bailiffs around if it goes in your favour which would be veeeery satisfying.
    Good luck.
    All of these things....