Do I need to degrease my chain!?

rchip
rchip Posts: 102
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hey, my free sample of squirt turned up today : ) ... I've only had my bike for about a week, it's been on about 7 rides so far, only getting the bike dusty. the chain still looks clean really. It says to degrease before a apply the lube, should i nip over to halfords now and buy some degreaser or would this be a waste as there's not really any gunk on it!?

thanks rich.

Comments

• i bought a brand new chain, and the first thing i did once i fitted it was degrease it, cause i found that the oil that manufacturers use is like glue for anything and everything :) but that might well just be me. i then used some pedros oil and then gt85 too :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The stuff that comes with chains is the best chain lube there is, though wiping it of the outer plates can be beneficial.
  • rchip
    Okay! thanks for replying. I think I'm going to go for a ride in about an hour, clean my bike afterwards. Should I give the chain a clean with a damp rag and dry thoroughly? Then apply the lube!?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    technically its good to clean the chain before a re-lube to get any crap off it so the oil/lubricant can do its job. But if you've only had a short while and the chain is still clean there is probably no need.

Also read what Sheldon Brown has to say about cleaning manufacturers lube from a chain.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    For squirt, yes you do because otherwise it binds with the other oil which just makes a sticky dirty mess that falls off the chain and does'nt do a lot

Also with squirt, make sure you relube after every ride :wink:
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Squirt you do need to make sure there's no contaminants on the chain when you start. So clean chain.

It varies how much you need to relube using Squirt. I relube when the chain starts making noise. Which can work out fairly sparingly and works out pretty economical. Start using it in bad conditions then forget it.
  • rchip
    Okay! I shall clean the chain! I've only just realised, I work in Subway part time, where we have little packets of degreaser which we dilute to clean the oven etc! Would this be suitable to clean the chain!? If so, I shall bike over now! I think it's only mild.
  • blister pus
    Get yourself a bottle of white spirit and two jam jars with screw lids. Fill one jar up half full with white spirit and drop chain in , screw lid down and shake for 5 minutes, 10 if it's dirty.

Take chain out and drop it in the other jar. put a small squirt of fairy liquid in and half fill with water, screw lid down and shake for 3 minutes. Drain. Fill with clean water. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Take chain out - smell it - should smell of chain. Towel dry thoroughly. Put on warm radiator for a half hour.

Apply Squirt as per instructions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Or paraffin, works just the same way and generally cheaper. Though white spirit is easier to find in smaller quantities, a 5 litre tub of paraffin lasts forever.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    I'm such a tight arse me. I'm still on the first jar of WS I poured 18 months ago or so because I let it settle on a shelf till the next round of chain cleaning comes round. I carefully drain the separated and clear WS off into the other jam jar and rinse the residue shite at the bottom away. I think I've maybe topped up the original level with a splash or so maybe 3 times. :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I do that too :lol: I've even got a special slops jar, that I pour the bottom wee bit with all the crap in, into then every so often drain off the clear stuff :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist