Disc brake sticking on

gee23
gee23 Posts: 29
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i have Formula ora brakes, the back brake has started sticking on if left in the sun. First time i noticed it was when i got back from ride washed bike and left in sun to dry but it has happened twice since then once at work and yesterday while i was putting new tyres on did the back wheel first everything ok when i put wheel back in, did the front wheel by the time i put front wheel back on the rear brake had looked on put bike back in garage tried it later and brakes had loosened of again can someone help thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how old are they?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gee23
    Just over a year old and they work fine when riding.
  • nicklouse
    maybe just over filled with fluid.

or the pistons have just moved (as the pads wear) and are closer to the rotor than before.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Coefficient of thermal linear expansion. As a fluid heats up, it increases in volume. As said previously, pistons too close or too much fluid will cause it
  • gee23
    Brakes were on bike from new, and this only happens if bike is left in sun not when riding thanks for help will get them checked out
  • nicklouse
    dan shard wrote:
    Coefficient of thermal linear expansion. As a fluid heats up, it increases in volume. As said previously, pistons too close or too much fluid will cause it

the heat should not do it as the fluid gets a lot more heat put into it during use.

but Air or Water would be my culprits.

get them bled.
  • Had this before whilst MTB in spain, turned out the caliper needing blleding. The small amount of air in the fluid expanded and effectively locked the caliper. I would bleed it and see how it goes.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • gee23
    Will do thanks