Orange 5 Vs Ibis Mojo

Andy B
Andy B Posts: 8,115
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Obviously the Ibis is leagues above the 5 in weight & price....

What I need to know is if an Ibis Mojo is as tough as an orange 5?

Would it shrug off airtime & drop offs without breaking into a sweat like the 5 does? I'm not taking major hucking here, just general all mountain shenanigins.
2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    In general it'll be tough enough. Direct impact damage (crash, rocks hitting the down tube) is more of a worry, but I personally wouldn't worry about riding one.

Brian Lopes does some insane stuff on one without it breaking (before the HD was released).
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    as stated, the mojo will take pretty much anything you can throw at it just dont drop it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A mate of mine just got one, to replace a Five funnilly enough, it's not had a lot of hard use yet but it did take a couple of decent hits already and you can barely even see the marks. Seems pretty solid.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Ive been on mine for the last 2 years, Im a 15 stone rider and have given it plenty of abuse, it has never felt out of its depth, DW link ftw! Fwiw i have read that a mojo downtube has never failed due to a rock strike!

As far as ive experienced, Ibis has got some of the best customer service in the industry which will keep your mind at rest and for comparitives, a longer warranty than SCruz.

Crash replacement if fault of your own is like $200 for a rear triangle, if youve got mojo money then it aint that expensive.

My HD should be here in a few weeks so the SL will be in the classifieds, or maybe the bullit?? Arghhh decisions...
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Andy B
    The one I am interested in is 2nd hand it's had a new under warranty front end & new bushes & Lopes link & not been ridden since. Not sure of why the new front end though.

Major dilemma time!

Anyone wanna buy a Orange 5 frame :lol:
  • gbrnole
    If its a regular mojo it could have been due to the aluminium seat tube/headcup insert coming loose or maybe a bladder leak in the manufacturing process left the frame weak somewhere. Ive also seen warranties for paint cracking, cable holder rivets breaking so it could be something simple.

How much are they asking for it?
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Andy B
    Asking ~£1k, which to me is reasonable, but will try to get it cheaper if I can, it's the regular Mojo, not the SL

includes frame as per previous post, RP23, spare hanger, headset, seatpost & clamp & he said that he will help with the warranty if I needed to use it.

I'm going to contact the seller again to ask what the issue was with the font triangle
  • gbrnole
    Its a reasonable price as long as its in good condition cosmetically, shocks been serviced etc.. Paint chips easily so check the chain stay and drive side seat stay for slap and chainsuck damage.
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Andy B
    no paint, it's the bare carbon one, will give it a very good once over, think the shock has been serviced & see if he'll let me test build the bike so I can get an idea on sizing, should be spot on though at 17", my 5 is an 18"
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    It's like comparing a ferrari to a BMW.
    I have a '5' and its right for me but I don't think anyone can really say they are beautiful bikes. They look like they were welded together in a shipyard somewhere.
    Heavy compaired to the Mojo. Also it will scratch and ding where the Mojo has a rubbery coating which will probably take some impact.
    I rode them back to back at Cwmcarn and I thought the Mojo did not feel as stable or connected possibly due to the geometery and poor rider.. :?
    I bet Brian Lopez gets a new Mojo soon as he breaks his current one again, and we wouldn't hear about it :wink:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    al2098 wrote:
    I bet Brian Lopez gets a new Mojo soon as he breaks his current one again, and we wouldn't hear about it :wink:

But we would hear about it if it happened during a race.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    But we would hear about it if it happened during a race.
    Maybe they don't break then.. :idea: