Disc Brake Maintenance

Rickbus
Rickbus Posts: 39
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey Guys,

As mentioned in an early post from myself i was having issues with my brakes in the rain!! Oh the NOISE!!
Well i want to know if there is anything i can do to try and improve this. I am assuming its water sitting on the disc brake that causing this noise? As they are fine in the dry.
I have:

•Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp, hydraulic disc, dual piston w/ 160mm rotor
•Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp, hydraulic disc, dual piston w/ 160mm rotor

When i bought the bike it was recomended i bought GT85 looking on the can it looks like this might be of help? Safe to use this? If not what could i use?
Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?

GT85 should not go anywhere near your brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rickbus
    Well any recomendation to what i can use? Because the squeek . squeal is unbearable in the rain!
  • Rickbus
    And also, yes i am a complete novice.
    What can i use this GT85 for????

Thank you.
  • Helping to free sticky nuts and bolts. Dispursing water from chain and mechs before using a proper lube after cleaning... Use it sparingly and in a well ventilated space.
    But don't use it near your disc brakesit will contaminate the pads, if you need to clean your rotors use a specific cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol, and a cloth/rag that has never been near oil.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    GT 85 is useful for almost nothing on a MTB, although it can be good for use on a rag to help dry and clean the chain before proper lube...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    GT85 is similair to WD40, its oil based used for lubing and displacing water and freeing up stuck bolts etc. Oil and surfaces that need friction to work are a bad cocktail.

Go to halfords and pick up a can of muck off disc brake cleaner, you might have to look in the motorbike section, ask a member of staff and tell them you need it for cleaning your disc brakes.
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    Rickbus,

Stick some copper grease on the BACK of the brake pads... between the pad and the brake pistons. This is often used to control brake squeal.

And make sure your pads are properly bedded in. You might have to carefully sand the very top layer of the pad off - and re-bed them.. (ride along a road at speed and hit the brakes hard - do this about 10 times for both brakes) if they still squeal, you could try taking some wet and dry sand paper to the actual rotors and give them a light roughing up.

J