Chain tools

Ronocco111
Ronocco111 Posts: 70
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm new to bike repairs and I would like to do it myself so I was wondering what a chain tool is and when and what do you use it for? I have seen it on a lot of multi-tools.
92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it splits /joins a chain.

by driving out/in a pin.

try reading Parktools webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your help
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    If you see a multi tool with a chain rivet extractor, then I recommend it. It's one of the most essential tools to take on a long ride, like a spare tube and pump.

If and when your chain snaps on a ride, it's one of the only breakdowns that will leave you completely stranded.

Unless of course you have a chain tool !.

In the event of your chain snapping, you remove the entire link, you don't attempt to join it up again. This will make your chain slightly shorter, so you'll not be able to ride in, say, the big chainring and 3rd largest rear cog for example (your chainline would be crap at this point anyhow).