Canal Tow Path Attack

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Well its nearly that time of year again to be attacked on the tow paths. They flocked over here in the thousands and taken refuge on our inland water ways. Im talikng of Canada geese of course. These pesky little critters really do frighten me. "A grown bloke frightened of a bird" i hear you cry! They are aready standing their ground but just wait until they have young with them soon. And my reason for being a little on edge is this, last year i got wacked around the head by one with its wing. Nasty buggesr they be....and i have to endure this twice daily. Unless i take the road which i really dont want to do.

Any one else had a run in with these bliters?

Rob

Comments

• Lol.... I read the topic title without the "C" at the front.... had to do a double take :lol:
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Never had a run in with one fortunately, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Up here they use geese around the front of distilleries to supplement the guards for good reason.
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    I live next to a lake and often see them coming over to the houses
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    phoebian wrote:
    I live next to a lake and often see them coming over the houses

:shock: thats disgusting!!! :lol:

kick them

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Lol.... I read the topic title without the "C" at the front.... had to do a double take :lol:

Never forget the 'C'

To the OP, I am with you on this one, fortunatly not been attacked yet. The current issue is with the Goths and Emos at Snow Hill.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • coolboarder
    CanalRider wrote:
    The current issue is with the Goths and Emos at Snow Hill.

Yea, the light nights are bringing the idiots onto the tow paths. Last week i had a group of chavy gets sat on a bridge floor with their legs stretched out across the path. They thought it funny not to move but guess who wasnt going to stop.....needless to say the said legs were withdrawn when they saw my intentions.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I thought it was going to be a thread about you being mugged! Glad it wasent, just getting attacked by birds instead :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Used to get them at York Uni - were very vicious when they were rearing young. And loads of greylags and the occasional swan.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Used to get them at York Uni - were very vicious when they were rearing young. And loads of greylags and the occasional swan.

Aye there are millions of the pesky things. Thankfully dad has moved offices and i no longer go to schools so don't need to walk through inches of green goose shit. Almost slipped over on that stuff.

Vile.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    those things used to terrify me as a kid. I've found if you take a swipe at them when they come too close they tend to back off pretty quickly. if you shy away from them they get cockier.

geese, not emos and goths, by the way...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • wesdev
    wesdev Posts: 104
    grow a pair dude...

its a bird not a velociraptor..
    08 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hercule Q wrote:
    phoebian wrote:
    I live next to a lake and often see them coming over the houses

:shock: thats disgusting!!! :lol:

kick them

I go to a lake for Open Water swimming in the summer. We must pee off the swans there cos I've seen them take to the air from the end of the lake they've shifted to, fly down the length of the lake and poo over the swimmers ! Eeeevil.

AND they can break your arm....
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I thought you going to talk about Midges at first.

No Canada Geese on the tow paths near me but lots in our local park, my 7 year old son enjoys scattering them on his bike :)
  • Alloy barreled pump + Canada Goose = Goose for tea
  • I had a run in with one last summer - was going by the local canal and I saw it fly off from my right - its still flying I thought and whack! landed right on my bars, knocked me off my bike - the fright of it then going for me made me do a mad dash leaving my bike on the deck :oops: ..when it went off, got bike and gingerly cycled away ..I am ultra wary of them now :D
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I had a run in with one last summer - was going by the local canal and I saw it fly off from my right - its still flying I thought and whack! landed right on my bars, knocked me off my bike - the fright of it then going for me made me do a mad dash leaving my bike on the deck :oops: ..when it went off, got bike and gingerly cycled away ..I am ultra wary of them now :D

You got off lightly on that canal lol......try the bit by Mill Hill, vampire geese there :lol:
    Caz xx
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    lol, my brother got attacked by geese when he was 5 (he threw an apple at them, I cant blame them :D ), and now he's shotscared of them
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Alloy barreled pump + Canada Goose = Goose for tea

theres a person who has never taken a swing at a goose before....

word to the wise....don't even try it....the goose will have you.

I saw a swan bully a man into the canal once...

I would have offered him some assistance, but I couldn't breathe! :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    shotgun. goose for tea.

very lean meat on a canada goose, strong taste,i guess they fly quite along way.

obviously dont carry a shotgun on the towpath.
  • coolboarder
    wesdev wrote:
    grow a pair dude...

its a bird not a velociraptor..

lol....i had to google velociraptor :oops:

and, at 45 my testis are fully delveloped :wink:

@ the guy who does open water swimming amongst these nasty baskets.....are you insane ???
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Since birds are descended from dinosaurs, he's probably not far off.

Its spring time, I think maybe they are getting a bit defensive in prep for mating season?