Stuck Shimano Freeehub

mrdales
mrdales Posts: 23
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Had a great ride out today on my one month old Orange Crush in fantastic dales weather but on the last downhill back to the car noticed a bit of chain suck. Now back at home and cleaning the bike the freehub seems to be completely stuck preventing the freewheel from working. It's a shimano freehub on Mavic rims with a SRAM X9 cassette and rear mech. There doesn't appear to be anything obstructing it. Any one got any ideas why or suggestions as to how to free it up without major dismatling? As it's only a month old it doesn't seem right that it should lock up so soon and never had this problem with my Scott Genius after miles of riding.

Thanks
Scott Genius MC30
Orange Crush
Giant SCR1.5
A worn out Cannondale Super V500 for the shops

Comments

• if its only a month old... take it back and get it looked at!
  • mrdales
    Unfortunately I bought it online from Sunset Cycles in Wales otherwise I'd be straight round the shop. Hoping it's something I can sort easily negating a lengthy return to dealer turn around scenario.
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
  • get on to sunset.. they're great.

They will likely refund any repars needed an another reputable bike shop if something is found to be faulty... IIRC some one else did similar with sunset.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are not supposed to be serviceable, though Sheldon Brown has a guide...
  • mrdales
    Thanks folks. I'll give Sunset a try tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted at the LBS. Hopefully it'll be a quick fix.
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    They are not supposed to be serviceable, though Sheldon Brown has a guide...
    Shimano Freehub ® Body Servicing

Generally, Freehub ® bodies are not repaired when they fail, because the labor cost of servicing them is often greater than the cost of buying a brand-new body.

If you really want to take one apart and overhaul it, they may be serviced in the same way as conventional freewheels. You'll need a fairly hard-to-find old-style Shimano special tool (TL-FH 40) to unscrew the cup, which is also the cone for the main bearings.
    freehubtool.gif
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown