Halo Freedom Disc 29er setup

riderjoe684
riderjoe684 Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Specialized Crosstrail Pro, which is perfect for me riding to and from work with the occasional ride on a trail, however recently I was out on a trail in a chalky area in the wet and it was really slippy, the supplied Borough Tyres just didn't have the grip. What I want to do is set up a rear wheel that has a specific cross-country tyre on it so that I can just swap out with minimum fuss and without swapping any parts between that and the wheel I use to ride to-from work. I have acquired a cheap Halo Freedom disc with a halo spin doctor hub and a shimano 160mm RT62 Disc Rotor.

My crosstrail has an SRAM X-9, long cage rear derailleur and Avid Elixir 4 rear disc brake.

What I would like to know is if anyone can tell me what parts I need to get to fit to the Freedom Disc so that it would work on my bike, my guess would be a new Cassette, a QR bolt, a spoke protector, and inner tube and a tyre. Additionally I guess I might need to buy a new rotor disc to work with the Avid Breaks (unless the Shimano one will work?).

Can anyone provide me with any advice on what components I should get? Will any Cassette fit the spin doctor hub or do I need a specific type? I could just get the same type as is on the factory supplied wheel, but am unsure if it will be compatible with the spin doctor hub?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You want exactly the same large cog size with the cassette, and number of cogs.

You may need to shim a rotor so they both line up in the same place. The rotors must be the same size.

You still may have to adjust gears every swap.
  • Thanks, I guess if I get the exact same cassette as I have on it already then it would be compatible, I tried the rotor and it seems to line up and fit in the brake housing but will it damage my brakes shoes to be used with two different rotors?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As long as the pads clear the arms of the rotor, all will be fine. (depth of brake surface can vary).
  • Many thanks for your help.

Joe
  • Just to say all parts on now and setup. The wheel is awesome and MASSIVE!!! The Spin Doctor Hub is pretty noisy but it works a treat. I now have a big fat 29er rear wheel that finally gives me some traction and I can swap it out in about 30seconds ready for my ride to work.

Thanks for your help.

Joe