Colnago E1, in progress, decisions, decisions....

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Just bought a used but very nice Colnago E1 frameset, Now all I have to do is decide what to build it with. Pictures here so far are tests with wheels, stem and saddle...

Undecided about the wheels - I have two lots of Mavic Ksyriums, one in silver and one black, so tried one of each to see what looks best with the frame. Might end up with black rim/silver spoke Fulcrum 1's perhaps instead.

Cranks are the other decision - I have access to a really nice set of compact MOST cranks, and yes I know they are Pinarello, but.... nice, carbon, and a good price...

Otherwise will be Fuclrums I think.

Saddle may change too, and the stem is too long as shown, so will replace with something...

Should be a lovely thing to ride indeed!!!

More details later when build is done.

4502313884_7187ae43b0_m.jpg

4502312462_a650777858_m.jpg

4502311882_e97de58ae0_m.jpg
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• Thats a very classy looking bike, if it where a woman it would be sharon stone in basic instinct
  • Thats a very classy looking bike, if it where a woman it would be sharon stone in basic instinct

I've looked really hard, but I can't see its muff!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    djbarren wrote:
    Her muff was on the tv last night! Nice bike by the way.

Good grief, don't be so offensive, Muff is so not appropriate, women prefer it to be called a "Minge".
  • Wheelspinner
    OK, finished the build after a couple of minor changes. Swapped the saddle and stem, and fitted the rest of the parts.

Short ride this afternoon and still some tweaking to do, but oooh boy this is a damned fine ride..
    :D:D

4509649089_3bc0bb8c21_m.jpg

4510289654_94c99d4a19_m.jpg

4509651551_078f7e3387_m.jpg

Build list:

Colnago E1 framset,
    Colnago Star fork
    Colnago carbon seat post
    Selle Bassano "Mission" saddle
    3T ARX Team stem
    3T Ergonove Pro handlebar
    Deda bar tape

Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset
    Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 tyres
    Campagnolo Chorus Carbon QS Ergopower shifters
    Campagnolo Record Titanium brakes
    Campagnolo Record QS Carbon front derailleur
    Campagnolo Centaur Carbon rear derailleur
    Campagnolo Record 10 sp chain
    Campagnolo Record cassette 12-25
    Fulcrum Torq R Carbon crankset

Might still change the saddle again... Looking forward to the first big ride
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Lovely! Subtle colour coordination too, I like that. Mnnnnnnn ......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    djbarren wrote:
    Her muff was on the tv last night! Nice bike by the way.

I hope you've wiped the TV. Any smudges will spoil the HD quality.

Lovely bike by the way!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Just reactivating this after a long time.....I'm thinking about getting one of these....have an opportunity to buy, but wondered how that first big ride went!

I'm quite a small, light guy so I am just concerned whether this is too beefy a bike for me as I have read that it was aimed at sprinters and bigger guys. Any feedback or experiences would be useful to help me make up my mind!
  • Wheelspinner
    gconvery wrote:
    Just reactivating this after a long time.....I'm thinking about getting one of these....have an opportunity to buy, but wondered how that first big ride went!

I'm quite a small, light guy so I am just concerned whether this is too beefy a bike for me as I have read that it was aimed at sprinters and bigger guys. Any feedback or experiences would be useful to help me make up my mind!

Just buy it - you will not regret it I'm sure. I love mine to bits, even if it is a size too large if I'm being picky. I've been keeping an eye out for the exact same bike a size smaller and not yet lucked out.

The ride is remarkable really. It is not the last word in quick handling or lightness, but who cares? In a weird way, I feel a bit privileged to just get on and ride it. It's stable, secure, comfortable, utterly predictable handling, and did I mention comfy?

Mine's a keeper for sure. I've bought and sold quite a few bikes since I acquired this, but this is most definitely *not* going anywhere. I'm considering right now whether to strip the Super Record 11sp off the Pinarello I have and swap it over to this.