I've entered a race. Help.

oaky
oaky Posts: 141
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
So last year I was quite ill and decided that if I made it through I’d get a road bike and enter a race or two – something I wish I’d done 20 years ago.

I mention this only because it hopefully explains why I’ve just committed to enter a 30+ mile circuit race in a couple of weeks time with no idea of what it actually involves.

All I know is that it’s a closed circuit with pretty flat laps of 1 mile.

With two weeks to go I guess there’s not really anything drastic I can do to improve my fitness (is there?). That’s fine, I’m not looking to win. Just finish.

What I really wanted to know was, what can I expect? What kind of things should I do? What shouldn’t I do?

I’ve never even ridden in a group before, so it’s going to be somewhat of an experience. I’m really looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The best thing you could do is find some group riding experience, that'll give you your best chance of not getting dropped. It's unlikely to be fitness that will have you dropped but inexperience at riding near others, so see if you can get that experience!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you haven't mentioned what - if any - training you have been doing, but most road racing involves plenty of short-medium high intensity efforts - so if you can get out and ride a few hard 20 milers at a pace close to your maximum pain tolerance, that will give you at least some prep.

Realistically, if you haven't done much specific training by this stage, then I wouldn't be expecting too much on the day itself....but once you have done one, you will be hooked...
  • oaky
    I've definitely not done the training I should've. But I want to get at least one race under my belt to see if it's something I want to continue with.

For the past few weeks my training has consisted of, at weekends, a hilly 45-50 mile ride at slightly higher than leisurly pace (16mph average) and then a faster 30 mile ride. And during the week I've also added two or three 30min turbo trainer/spinning bike sessions that include seven 30s full-out bursts with 1 minute to recover in between.

I don't expect that this is enough for me to do well, but my only goal is to not finish too far back. And also have fun.

I also didn't mention that it's a 4th cat only race.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    First off well done - entering your first race is a step some people never get round to so that's a small victory in itself.

Not sure what race you've entered but if you've never ridden in a group before you may be in for a shock - some circuit races can have fields of 100 plus riders. The main thing is that you aren't a danger to yourself and others - you have to make allowances for things in lower cat racing - everyone has to learn somewhere - but ideally a race would not be your first experience of group riding. If you can do a club run or chain gang before then then take the opportunity - and ask questions of anyone there that has raced - even their opinion on your riding.

So as far as staying safe goes I would say stay off the brakes, hold a consistent line and don't tense up if there is a bit of contact between you and riders next to you. The best thing that could happen might be getting shelled out early and then riding the rest of the race in a small group of dropped riders.

Don't mean any of that as a criticism - and you may be a natural and be absolutely fine so play it by ear.

Good luck

edit : just noticed it's a 4ths only race - in that case I expect the field may be smaller which will make it much more manageable. Watch out for people getting dropped early on in the race - if you are behind them then they'll take you with them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    oaky wrote:
    I’ve never even ridden in a group before, so it’s going to be somewhat of an experience. I’m really looking forward to it.
    Er...I 'm generally quite positive and upbeat in my posts but if I was the race organiser I wouldn't let you ride - unless you promised to sit at the back or away from the group. Can't you get some practice with a local group of cyclist or a club?
  • oaky
    I don't see how I can. I don't know anyone else who even owns a bike. And with family commitments there are only certain times I can ride - usually first thing in the morning. I've looked at times of my local club runs and I'm usually heading back before they even set out. Oh well. Maybe I was being too ambitious anyway.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    oaky wrote:
    Maybe I was being too ambitious anyway.
    You won't know how high the bar is unless you try.

That said, don't get your hopes too high of even being able to finish with the bunch. Even at entry level, cycling is one of the hardest sports to get into due to the drafting effect - as soon as you loose contact with the wheel in front, you are going to struggle to make it back to the group. Not being familiar with group riding will make your job even harder.

Use your 1st race to assess what you need to improve on - do the training, learn the techniques, come back stronger.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Bronzie wrote:
    That said, don't get your hopes too high of even being able to finish with the bunch. Even at entry level, cycling is one of the hardest sports to get into due to the drafting effect - as soon as you loose contact with the wheel in front, you are going to struggle to make it back to the group. Not being familiar with group riding will make your job even harder.

Just over a year ago I did my first race, lasted barely 3 miles with the bunch, the fitness improved after that, but not massive amounts, but now I can sit no problem in a 3rds race and am more likely to drop off the front than the back.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Toks wrote:
    Er...I 'm generally quite positive and upbeat in my posts but if I was the race organiser I wouldn't let you ride - unless you promised to sit at the back or away from the group. Can't you get some practice with a local group of cyclist or a club?

To be fair, that's not the organiser's problem. I lined up for my first race back in the early 90s on the Hayes bypass, having never ever ridden with other roadies, or with a road club (I was into MTB back then, and entered for a laugh) - nothing bad happened - all you have to do is ride straight and hold your line..

4th cat races are full of people who haven't ridden before - that's the whole point of bringing in a 4th category....

Besides, if he sits at the back he is practically resigned to being dropped almost immediately the race is de-neutralised. If you're in the bunch, you have as much right to be there as anybody else...
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    softlad wrote:
    Toks wrote:

To be fair, that's not the organiser's problem. I lined up for my first race back in the early 90s on the Hayes bypass, having never ever ridden with other roadies, or with a road club (I was into MTB back then, and entered for a laugh) - nothing bad happened - all you have to do is ride straight and hold your line..

4th cat races are full of people who haven't ridden before - that's the whole point of bringing in a 4th category....

Besides, if he sits at the back he is practically resigned to being dropped almost immediately the race is de-neutralised. If you're in the bunch, you have as much right to be there as anybody else...
    Er... iI'll admit my post sounded a bit mean spirited. I read the following and was quite concerned..

"What I really wanted to know was, what can I expect? What kind of things should I do? What shouldn't I do? I've never even ridden in a group before, so it's going to be somewhat of an experience. I'm really looking forward to it.
    guy posted
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    edited April 2010
    keep a level head, try not to fall to the back unless you dont feel comfortable with riders around you but with the little training you describe its likely to happen anyway so if it does just sit up and wait for the bunch to come around

dont push too hard on your own, it'll just wipe you out

keep a tidy line and dont be intimidated, some guys tend to shout randomly, but just remember, their 4th cats too. just stay aware of whats going on around you

dont quit

enjoy it
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it's a circuit race, ask the judges regarding the rules on laps-out - if you do get dropped, you can sit-up and let them catch you when they come around again - just don't get on the front or get in the way of those contesting the top-places at the finish.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Strictly speaking you can only take a lap out for mechanical problems - not just because you are tired. That said, in 4tg cat races I've allowed people to take a lap out if they come to the start finish line and ask but not if they just get lapped and then try to contest the finish.
  • blackhands wrote:
    Strictly speaking you can only take a lap out for mechanical problems - not just because you are tired. That said, in 4tg cat races I've allowed people to take a lap out if they come to the start finish line and ask but not if they just get lapped and then try to contest the finish.

I thought you can still carry on if lapped, even re-join the bunch so long as you dont contest the finish or get in the way etc.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    oaky wrote:
    So last year I was quite ill and decided that if I made it through I’d get a road bike and enter a race or two – something I wish I’d done 20 years ago.

I mention this only because it hopefully explains why I’ve just committed to enter a 30+ mile circuit race in a couple of weeks time with no idea of what it actually involves.

With two weeks to go I guess there’s not really anything drastic I can do to improve my fitness (is there?). That’s fine, I’m not looking to win. Just finish.

What I really wanted to know was, what can I expect? What kind of things should I do? What shouldn’t I do?

Turn up in advance to sign on, hand in your licence and get your race numbers - then, go to the circuit - get your bike out, attach your number and do a few warm up laps of the circuit - that'll get rid of some nerves - regards the race - be careful at the start - make sure you can clip-in quickly and don't be caught out by a fast-start - its hard to get back on if you're dropped - just aim to stay in the bunch on the first couple of laps - any remaining nerves etc will have gone after a lap or two, and you'll be buzzing, enjoying your first race - be predictable when riding and hold your line. The first race is a good teacher - you'll know exactly what the demands are for your future races.

Good luck
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Mettan wrote:
    oaky wrote:

Turn up in advance to sign on, hand in your licence and get your race numbers - then, go to the circuit - get your bike out, attach your number and do a few warm up laps of the circuit - that'll get rid of some nerves - regards the race - be careful at the start - make sure you can clip-in quickly and don't be caught out by a fast-start - its hard to get back on if you're dropped - just aim to stay in the bunch on the first couple of laps - any remaining nerves etc will have gone after a lap or two, and you'll be buzzing, enjoying your first race - be predictable when riding and hold your line. The first race is a good teacher - you'll know exactly what the demands are for your future races.

Good luck

This ^^

I did my first race having only ever been on 1 bunch ride before. 4th Cat is for learning in. Enjoy it :-)
  • oaky
    Thanks very much to everyone who's replied. All good advice and stuff to think about.