Bikely is broken again - Have your IT people no pride?

OzSkewer
OzSkewer Posts: 12
You've promised many times that upgrades and improvements are coming to the Bikely platform but so far nada.
Now, once again Bikely.com is experiencing timeouts, & update failures making the site all but unusable.

Please FIX IT :!: :!: :!:

Pete.B

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    What's bikeradar got to do with Bikely?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I would like to have seen it fixed a long time ago. All I can say is that other things have taken priority.

Also, if you know anyone who wants a full time dev job, please direct them here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/w ... ring-24729

jrduquemin Future owns bikely and BikeRadar.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • danvanman
    danvanman Posts: 2
    Another request to fix Bikely---a valuable resource but currently frustrating!
  • adam85
    adam85 Posts: 1
    danvanman wrote:
    Another request to fix Bikely---a valuable resource but currently frustrating!
    I have to agree, I have all the courses for our cycling club's racing on bikely.com and I've been copping lots of flack over the last 4 months that the site is very unreliable. I like bikely.com but I will be forced to move all the courses to mapmyride if something is not done and our riders cannot find where the race is!
  • ixnae
    ixnae Posts: 1
    Bikely and BikeRadar's Route page are still broken. This problem has been slowly getting worse for years. I haven't been able to successfully access it for about a month. I feel like a fool for holding out hope that BikeRadar, or Future, or whomever is responsible for the upkeep of the site will fix it. I understand that publishing is a financially scary business to be in lately (I used to design hobby books and magazines until the publisher went under), and that this sort of site is probably considered low on the priority list. What I don't understand is why Future doesn't let go of the thing they can't be bothered to make work. Why not make it open source? Are there any third parties that want to make the code work? Did a dev ever get hired, or is Bikely/BikeRadar Routes a bottom-rung priority in the face of declining carbon-fiber ad sales (they're brittle, you know)? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a publishing firm that is so focused on advertising disposable race gadgets has any interest in the needs of real-world cyclists, despite an explosion in commuters and tourists.

I guess I shouldn't complain so much. Bikely has provided a wonderful (if occassionaly buggy) and free service to me for years. I'm unhappy that such a useful tool is being left to rot. I will miss it if it doesn't get fixed, but as a part of the crowd-source that has helped to grow Bikely, I'd really like to get my data back.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    We've made a couple of changes to Bikely this week that should fix the problems we've been having. The update was made @ 10:30 GMT today.

Please let us know if you're still experiencing problems with it.

We haven't changed the bit of Bikely that feeds into the routes and rides section of BikeRadar, but will do that once we're happy that Bikely works again.

We've also been mapping out some improvements to the site that should make it better than anything out there. But I wouldn't want to put a date on when that will happen.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • OzSkewer
    OzSkewer Posts: 12
    On June 10 Bikeradar said,
    "We've made a couple of changes to Bikely this week that should fix the problems we've been having. The update was made @ 10:30 GMT today.

Please let us know if you're still experiencing problems with it. "

And today June 30 Bikely says...
    "The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
    Please try again later. "
    Well, that didn't last long.
  • OzSkewer

How long was it unavailable for? At what time of day? Has it happened again?
    John Stevenson