Riser or flat?

jamie_79
jamie_79 Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in XC and Enduro
What difference would changing to a flat bar make to my riding?

Comments

• flat bars put you more over the front of the bike and keep you lower down or something im making the same desision
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • Also Risers have more sweep generally which can be more comfortable on your wrists
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Then, you can get swept flats... Just put a set of Salsas on my flat-barred road bike and they're absolutely lovely, it's like all the best bits of flats and risers combined. Ace.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Riser often mean a more upright and less aerodynamic position. If I'm in a race or timed event I always prefer a bike with flat bars.
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Flats also tend to be slighly narrower. So good for courses where you are winding through trees.

I would generally say flats are good for racing and risers are good for trail riding and novice racers (as they inspire confidence)
  • jamie_79
    jamie_79 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your posts. Decision made. I'll stick with risers for trails.
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    at the end of the day its down to personal choice, try a set iof flats and see what you prefer and feel more comfy with !!
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And of course what you initial set up is (think stem, spacers, front end height). A flat on one bike may be higher overall than a riser on another ;-)