Your Anti-Rants here

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2019 in Commuting chat
Okay, there's been some justified vituperation on the site recently, and people have the rant thread to air their justified grievances at bad drivers / pedestrians / other cyclists / general oxygen thieves.

However, this morning I had a genuinely pleasurable ride in with nothing but considerate drivers around me.

So - how about a thread where people can praise other road users actions and show a more positive side to the daily commute?

I'll start with Mr EON Mondeo man who very kindly waited when I held my arm out (palm facing him) to warn him not to pass as there was an oncoming car he could not see. I don't actually think he was going to, but I figured a warning was only fair.

He waited patiently until the approaching car had gone and overtook leaving huge amounts of room and gave a friendly wave after pulling in.

Also, the guy in the Picasso who patiently waited for me to get past before pulling up in front of the village shop. He could've pulled across quickly and saved himself some time, and not hugely inconvenienced me.. he didn't and he got a friendly wave as well. I got a smile in return, so I know that two people at least (besides me) had a cheery start to the day.[/b]
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I think the good weather helps bring out the better side in some.

I too yesterday had a very helpful driver. On the approach to a fast motorway roundabout I have to cross I need to move out from the first to the second lane as the first lane is straight onto the M-way. Normally I signal and have to wait for a gap to move over. Not yesterday, guy slows down and waves me over. :D
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    There was something similar, but it died of malnutrition :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sorry - didn't know about that one... let's see if we can keep at least one of them going?

It'll be good to have a purposely positive thread in the forum.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Ok. I'll play along. A couple of weeks ago now I was coming down Commercial Road, EC something. At Limehouse there are 3 lanes and the one on the right is for turning towards the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

A car wanting to turn right was stopped in lane 2 so we're now down to 1 lane. I looked back and saw a white van behind me. I braced for the inevitable whoosh of white as the van squeezed between me and the lane blocking numpty.

The whoosh never came. The van hung back till I'd passed the aforementioned numpty then passed safely giving me loads of room. On the side of the van in large red letters it said 'Citipost'. I was so amazed I sent them an email to say thanks. :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    ince wrote:
    I think the good weather helps bring out the better side in some.
    Nah, it's just there is less traffic because of the easter holidays so drivers are cheerier.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    saw an Audi driver this morning drove slowly and patiently behind a fellow commuter who was struggling up a hill going the opposite direction as me.

i think the driver is being nice for doing that to the fellow commuter but i would hate it if someone do that to me. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Today was a joyous ride in, sunshine and a lot of nice drivers all the way from Ealing to City 8)

Still managed to keep good form despite playing 5aside last night, working very late and hardly having any sleep.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    A black cab slowed and waved to let me though a gap this morning :shock: And I set a personal best for my commute in today 8)

Happy days.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Fantastic idea KB. I was beginning to think their were a few too many angry people on here. Nothing to report today, but I'll make a point of posting when there is.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm in!

To the silver car at Kennington Park Road (towards Stockwell) yesterday evening, who hung back to let me into his lane. Muchas gracias :lol:
  • stevie_90210
    stevie_90210 Posts: 94
    edited April 2010
    Some very courteous drivers this morning, especially a bus that didn't try to squeeze past me when I was climbing a very steep hill this morning.

The driver of the bus must have been a cyclist of some sort to be that courteous!! :D
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Brilliant ride in, the weather was amazing, the schools on my route are off at the minute on half term so the usual problem areas were devoid of traffic, and I guess a lot of people in general took this week off or went in early - the roads had easily 50% less traffic for the time of day

Most of my route is off-road and scenic, along the coast, the sun was shining and I should have taken some pics but instead I was enjoying the lack of wind and busy setting a time close to my PB :)

When I was on the road, any overtaking cars done so in a safe and generous manner, giving plenty of space which makes a change - guess everyone else is in a more chilled mood too :D

Just a shame about this "work" thing otherwise I would have kept cycling all morning :(

Took a longer, more scenic route home last night* and it was bliss
    , really enjoyed it and I think after the winter we have just had this was the first time Ive really started enjoying cycling again since late last year!

Long may it continue!

*last nights route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29385561
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    An old man smiled, nodded and waited for me to go pass before stepping out onto the road this morning
  • Kieran_Burns
    kelsen wrote:
    An old man smiled, nodded and waited for me to go pass before stepping out onto the road this morning

and you crashed in shock. but it was the THOUGHT that counts! :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited April 2010
    kelsen wrote:

I wasn't finished!

...then the old fecker shoved his walking stick between my spokes and caused me to wipeout big time!

...not really... :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    kelsen wrote:

The old man was looking across at the Green Man as you RLJ'd - "Bloody Cyclists - think they are Darth Vader" he thought to himself as he smiled and nodded, remembering fondly his outing to Brighton on a penny farthing with dear old Ethel..... ah Ethel, God rest her.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wahey! :D

Get in this morning to a right old moan from everyone in the office!

Turns out that there are roadworks on the A60 just outside of work and as there is only one exit from the Commercial Park (for cars :wink: ) everyone was stacked up trying to get out

Some people took over an HOUR to get out of the park.

Me? I wasn't even aware of any issues, as I cut off before the exit to take the park route through to the village and home.

The amount of abuse hurled at the roadworks and then me (for being insufferably smug 8) ) because people got caught up sat in their cars for so long.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I'll chip in with this: Trouble free commuting for almost 2 years - no close passes, no cutting up, no hint of a left hook and plenty of courtesy! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • Kurako wrote:
    Ok. I'll play along. A couple of weeks ago now I was coming down Commercial Road, EC something. At Limehouse there are 3 lanes and the one on the right is for turning towards the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

A car wanting to turn right was stopped in lane 2 so we're now down to 1 lane. I looked back and saw a white van behind me. I braced for the inevitable whoosh of white as the van squeezed between me and the lane blocking numpty.

The whoosh never came. The van hung back till I'd passed the aforementioned numpty then passed safely giving me loads of room. On the side of the van in large red letters it said 'Citipost'. I was so amazed I sent them an email to say thanks. :D

Love that junction :roll: Both ways traffic use the centre lane to turn into The Tunnel even though only the nearest lane is supposed to be used :evil: .
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    As I commute I find squirrels rabbits and field-mice frisk along beside me, birds burst spontaneously into song in harmony with young women in ball gowns, old folks smile and wave, the sun beams down on me and all is right with the world. :wink:

PS is that a bit OTT ?
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Heading north on Westbury Road, just beyond Durdham Downs on Sunday afternoon. I shouldn't really have been dressed in grey and black. I definitely shouldn't have decided to take the right hand lane at very short notice and I certainly shouldn't have waited until I needed to move out before looking over my shoulder and hastily throwing an arm out. But I did all of these things and you, Mr Blue Ford Fiesta, aborted your perfectly reasonable overtake and politely waved me across. I gave you a little thumbs up; if you'd had your window open I would have shouted "Thanks, and sorry for riding like a nob."

I sincerely hope your remaining journey was full of green traffic lights and considerate cyclists.
    Rules are for fools.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I didn't stop at all on my commute in this morning: I have 8-traffic lights in 12.5 miles (mostly pedestrian crossings only three junctions,) and all were green.

Average speed of 18mph.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    There was a chilly northerly wind for my 25 mile ride home last night and it had picked up to a good 10-13mph by the time I left at 6.15, which was GREAT NEWS as this gave me a nice tailwind all the way home.

I was cruising at around 18-20mph between portishead and clevedon and 16mph across the moors to Yatton as I was starting to fade a bit by then. Then a lady in a red car coming towards me apologiesed when she pulled out to overtake a parked car, even though she didn't cause me to slow at all.

PLUS - there was a full tank of hot water so I got straight into a hot bath to warm up my cold bits.

Unfortunately I managed to reset my computer somewhere just before turning into Yatton, so I don't know exactly what my stats are, but I stepped through my door at 7.50 as the sun was setting. Not bad for just over a week back on the bike and only my 3rd ride home since november.

Total miles this year (in less than 2 weeks) 107
    us0.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Thanks to the chap in the silver Audi on the Mitcham one-way system, who held back to let me change lane in front of him. Very decent of you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thanks to the white van man who waited behind me patiently until it was actually clear to overtake. I appreciate it, especially along that stretch of road.

As for the tool in the Focus (K7 BCF), I've no idea what you were shouting, but I assume it was as witty and erudite as your driving was accomplished and considerate. May all your children turn out to be someone else's.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Thanks to the white van man who waited behind me patiently until it was actually clear to overtake. I appreciate it, especially along that stretch of road.

As for the tool in the Focus (K7 BCF), I've no idea what you were shouting, but I assume it was as witty and erudite as your driving was accomplished and considerate. May all your children turn out to be someone else's.

Ditto - well for the first bit anyway... Coming up to a pinch point today, WVM made a decision not to force his way through first. Without looking back I gave him the big thumbs up from me and, lumme, I got a wave of acknowledgement from the driver a couple of moments later as he passed me. I'm not always sure how much drivers know that cyclists are aware of what's happening behind them - but the thumbs up seemed to help make it a moment of communication.
  • davis
    The following things are glorious:

Park Super Patches
    Track pumps
    Kool Stop brake pads
    A clean bike
    Looking out over this view with a Golden Glow in hand.
    Uphills
    Downhills
    Flats
    Straights
    Twisty bits
    Spinning frantically when no-one's watching
    Mashing along, pulling at the drops with all your might when no-one's watching
    Sunshine,
    Rainbows,
    and lollipops.

That is all.
  • Kieran_Burns
    davis wrote:
    The following things are glorious:

Park Super Patches
    Track pumps
    Kool Stop brake pads
    A clean bike
    Looking out over this view with a Golden Glow in hand.
    Uphills
    Downhills
    Flats
    Straights
    Twisty bits
    Spinning frantically when no-one's watching
    Mashing along, pulling at the drops with all your might when no-one's watching
    Sunshine,
    Rainbows,
    and lollipops.

That is all.

Did someone have a good day today? :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • davis
    Did someone have a good day today? :)

Perfect, just perfect. Blissfully tired now.
    Edit: oh, and making your bike fit properly, Mavic Aksiums and Screw Grab. They're good too..
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Thanks to the driver who acknowledged me as I flew down the hill at 30mph on my way home tonight. He was waiting to pull out of a side turning and let me know he'd seen me, I still covered my brakes as always but nice for the reassurance.