Hayes stroker ryde brakes and xt discs

uch255g
uch255g Posts: 93
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have stroker ryde brakes and xt discs on the on one scandal i am building.

Should i be running these together. I seem to get through pads fast and wondered if they are actually compatible

Thanks.
On One Inbred

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    IT should be fine to use them together. You are probably using the wrong brake pad compound if you are going through them quickly
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    your probably getting through pads quick due to the amount af braking required to slow you down with ryde brakes, they are not a good brake at all, i spent quite a lot of money swapping pads, discs and bleeding to no avail they just lack in stoping power.
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    mine are fine, plenty of stopping power (and i'm 17 stone odd) and not been going through pads either.... maybe it's just soft compound pads?
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive used them on a couple of bikes now, good feel to lever but just no power to front wheel, can just about lock rear when they warm up but nothing much on the front.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    richg1979 wrote:
    ive used them on a couple of bikes now, good feel to lever but just no power to front wheel, can just about lock rear when they warm up but nothing much on the front.

I found the same. Nothing much you can do I am afraid.

Even with a 203mm rotor I still couldn't lift the back end even with 3 fingers :shock:

Can do it with 1 with my new Hope M4 :D
  • I have the same set up now seeing as how i bent my front disc! (foolish i know) i don't have any problems with mine! Stopping power is spot on!
  • uch255g
    uch255g Posts: 93
    I have bled them and replaced the pistons and still little power. I am running them on XT discs which have a 'thinner' outer rim bit. The braking has to take place on the arms also. I still have a suspicion this is not right.

In view of the comments from others on lack of power i think i will try going up to 180mm and see what happens.
    On One Inbred