logs in the woods

lastwords
lastwords Posts: 304
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I live in the midlands and my local woods (thieves wood) provides some nice singletrack however logs keep appearing across the trail.

Does any one else experience this and whats your theory on who does it

I think its either walkers trying to stop bikers or its people on motorbikes trying to make it more interesting.

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I would suggest it's problem the former, disgruntled walkers trying to inconvenience bikers. It's a common occurance afaik. If you can move them to one side of the trail then no harm done, jus expect then to of been moved back in your way next time your there :)
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    It's normally walkers around here as well.

I just see them as another obstacle that needs negotiating. Either with a hop or a diversion around. Keeps me on my toes!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Elliot Ross
    Elliot Ross Posts: 182
    there were loads of logs in thetford forest the other day had to keep doging them, on the red route there was also a tree on the ground, had too lift the bikes over it lol :o
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bunny hop them ;-)

They may be to discourage chavs razzing up and down on scooters.
  • lastwords
    There must be an army of the buggers as on one particular section there was logs every 10m.

thats funny they go for a walk and spend ages dragging logs about to stop mtb's sad gits

Most i can get over fine but theres always the odd one where i dont want to risk it
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    if anything this act of vandelism by walkers and ramblers once again proves they cause more damage than we do :roll: they not only ruin the trials for us but also for them and other walkers than have no problem sharing trails with bikes :roll:
  • hoochylala
    supersonic wrote:
    Bunny hop them ;-)

They may be to discourage chavs razzing up and down on scooters.

Anyone seen Chris Akrigg's new video? Its pretty impressive! Anyway, 3:12 onwards, nice display of log in trail bunny hopping skills :)

http://vimeo.com/10695528

Wish I could go for a XC ride and ride like that!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There isn't a week that goes by that we don't clear logs out of the way on our rides.

Sometimes small trees have been pulled over, pointing down the trail so that you would get harpooned if you rode into them. :?

One day I even found two old golf trolleys blocking my way and a rattan chair a little further on.

There has even been tacks laid across the trails.

Whoever does this in our area spends a lot of effort dragging sometimes quite large logs into place and repetitively.

We just now say "I see the Log Man's been about"
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    hoochylala wrote:
    Anyone seen Chris Akrigg's new video? Its pretty impressive! Anyway, 3:12 onwards, nice display of log in trail bunny hopping skills :)

http://vimeo.com/10695528

Wish I could go for a XC ride and ride like that!

Is that a dead sheep at 0:50?
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • hoochylala
    ooer didn't spot that first time, or second time, or third time i watched it :) I must say, the skills on show are very good.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    go up with a spade and turn them into jumps

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Hercule Q wrote:

+1 !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Hercule Q wrote:

the walkers?

seems a bit harsh :P
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    rudedog wrote:
    Hercule Q wrote:

the walkers?

seems a bit harsh :P

Whats gotta be done has gotta be done :twisted: :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    lol
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Happens a bit at the local woods where I ride, but the particular stretch is a footpath so we shouldn't really be riding it; it's just that its the only way to get to where we're going.

In this case I think it's aimed more at slowing people down because a lot of bikers blast down it (it's a long hill of a footpath) and scare the crap out of unsuspecting walkers.

I always try to respect the fact that I shouldn't be on there and move over and let the walkers by rather than expecting them to move for me, but not everyone is like that.

Obviously if it was a bridal path or some unofficial trail through the woods I'd be a bit miffed.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    quite annoying when the trails are designated seperately for mtb'ers, walkers, and horses.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I was up cutting and shifting a load of windfall branches last weekend on some local trails, funnilly enough every single cyclist that stopped seemed to think they'd been put there by walkers, even the huge chunks that needed cut into 3 or 4 bits before I could shift them. Not to say that yours weren't of course but a lot of the time it's just trees being d*cks, especially this time of year.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most logs on my trails are of canine origin.
  • hoochylala
    Heh, and I presume you dont mean dragged there by dogs either :lol:
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    there's a really annoying person that keeps sticking scaffold poles into the ground at 45 degrees on the trail that I ride regularly.

But then again some muppet had put sharpened wooden stakes into the ground under the climbing wall and frame in Rendlsham Forest.

Wherever you go there's always some tossser that want to ruin other peoples fun.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • lastwords
    definatly been put there and not wind fall one day they were not there and the next day they were.
    Sounds like some of you have more of a problem with it than me.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    Northwind wrote:
    Ia lot of the time it's just trees being d*cks, especially this time of year.

ha ha, i love the idea of trees behaving badly just to annoy us. perhaps it's their attempt at revenge for the billions of lives lost to furniture, fire, paper and crappy wooden sculptures!
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • dr.a
    dr.a Posts: 120
    Where I am, only recently have logs and trees been sprawled across the trails. It looks deliberate I think, and is really frustrating.

Also, there's a small descent about 15 feet long and it connects two trails. You come to the end of one trail, turn left down the path and into the next section for the final run, and people keep putting loads of logs and excess wire from some fencing in the way.

Argghh :evil:

Dr.A
    "If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
    2007-2008: Apollo Guru
    2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
    2010: Carrera Fury 08
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    lastwords wrote:
    I live in the midlands and my local woods (thieves wood) provides some nice singletrack however logs keep appearing across the trail.

I think its either walkers trying to stop bikers or its people on motorbikes trying to make it more interesting.

Not Harlestone firs by any chance???
    Ive noticed this happening alot there latley. :?
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    that akrigg video just makes me jealous! the river crossing a t 1:20ish is just impressive.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • lastwords
    Mr bump wrote:
    lastwords wrote:

Not Harlestone firs by any chance???
    Ive noticed this happening alot there latley. :?

No mate the place in question is called thieves woods or Nomanshill woods.
    On saturday i went to sherwood pines and rode through there on the way back no more logs have appeared since the last time they are felling in parts of the woods so maybe it is giving the walkers inspiration.

I found an awesome piece of single track through a place called Stonehills plantation which is on the other side of the A611 from thieves woods its very steep and rooty.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I went to a local wood today that I hadn't been to for a few months and the trails have been ruined by deliberate log placement at the bottom of all the downward tracks just so they are as dangerous as possible :twisted: These have taken more than one person to cut and move, I am tempeted to take my battery chainsaw with me next time and clear them.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    captainfly wrote:
    I went to a local wood today that I hadn't been to for a few months and the trails have been ruined by deliberate log placement at the bottom of all the downward tracks just so they are as dangerous as possible :twisted: These have taken more than one person to cut and move, I am tempeted to take my battery chainsaw with me next time and clear them.

That's a waste. use the saw to cut them up, make some NS out of them, then leave a nice note saying "Thanks for moving those logs for us, we've been meaning to do that for ages but it was just too much hard work. There's 3tonne of hardcore down the road, can you move that for us too?"
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    On a local trail yesterday I found a sofa and matching footstool across the trail.

I was astonished at this act of kindness by ramblers to provide such a comfortable rest stop.

Alternatively it could have been another pikey fly-tipper of which we seem to have too many sadly. Always passing piles of dumped building materials, etc etc where trails join the road. :evil: