muc-off 8.. anyone doing it?

GhallTN6
GhallTN6 Posts: 505
edited April 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi all,

As the Muc-Off 8 location is only minutes from where I live and I've never done an enduro before, thought I'd give this one a shot, I hear 40 quid is a bit steep but like I say, it's only mins away from my house so I don't have to pay for camping or huge travelling costs.

Thing is, the website is a bit limited in it's information, like how long is the track, and what sort of start is it (on mass or short run), does anyone know? I know the track around Pippingford is pretty good as I did a race there last year (southernXC), I'm wondering if it's the same one or have they extended it.

I've also not really seen much on the forums as to how busy it will actually be, usually with Mountain Mayhem you see a bit of buzz before hand, so is there anyone out there who's doing it, what are your thoughts and how are you getting on with any training you might be doing.

Cheers

Comments

• Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Will be at Southern XC round1 that day unfortunately.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I'll be there, it's only round the corner from me as well (Crawley Down) where are you hailing from?
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    me and my mate are racing as well
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • rbrstr
    rbrstr Posts: 64
    me too, the website is a bit lame on info tho especially with regard to the camping facilities, i havent even had an email confirmation for my team yet which i did online weeks ago.

On another note, is anyone else expecting it to be a qaugmire with all this rain we've had?
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    I'll be there...........Weather forecast looking OK now too.

Anyone else got any more up to date news on this
  • GhallTN6
    Weather is now looking spot on, and should be from now on, the course should be really dry and fast, especially if a lot of people give it a practice lap on Saturday, the start is going to be interesting as well, never done a le mans style one before. Anyone know how many people are entering it in total, I think theres still places available, the last day to book is today.

You should have had details sent to you by now, if not go to here:
    http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/docs/Muc Off 8 final details 3.pdf
  • Burton
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    Anyone know how many people are entering it in total, http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/docs/Muc Off 8 final details 3.pdf

I believe we are sending a team (ok several teams) totaling 70+ riders.

So if you're going that should make at least 71 peeps!
  • rbrstr
    Burton wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    Anyone know how many people are entering it in total, http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/docs/Muc Off 8 final details 3.pdf

Nice one :D
  • Burton
    rbrstr..........you're not one of those 70 by any chance?
    User name like that I reckon you could be........
  • jb2
    jb2 Posts: 1
    hi!

are you sure this is gonna be one fast and dry race? :)

we are coming from abroad and would be nice not to carry all sort of tires with us.

Thanks!
  • Burton
    Forecast looks good but remember - this is England, anything can happen!

rbrstr - you ARE one of the 70!! I know who you are now!!
  • rbrstr
    Burton wrote:
    Forecast looks good but remember - this is England, anything can happen!

rbrstr - you ARE one of the 70!! I know who you are now!!

Damn its a small world JB!
  • Burton
    Certainly is!

You all fired up and ready for the challenge then?
    What about a replacement team mate, have you sorted one now?
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Burton wrote:
    GhallTN6 wrote:

Who is "we"?
  • GhallTN6
    The forecast is now sunny and dry until at least over the weekend, I did this course last June for a southern xc race, it pissed it down on the saturday/Sunday night, and the pre race lap was like an ice rink, but come 11am and after 1 lap it was amazingly dry, well, maybe one or two slight sticky patches but definately no need for mud tyres, I'm going for Maxxis Ignitors xc 2.1 because I know there's some nice downhill stuff and I can push it on those.

Oh, one of our chaps has bailed out because of a skiing injury he got today.. so if you are interesed in joining a three man team who are of medium fitness, let me know.
  • Burton
    Still no additional info on the web site, still, I know they are working on it, they were marking the course out yesterday!
  • GhallTN6
    Good race, challenging, but a lot lot muddier than I ever thought it would be, enjoyed it though, oh yeah, and too much fireroad, I overtook loads of people on the singletrack/downhill sections only for them to catch me up on the road.. not really in the spirit of an offroad MTB race I thought.

52nd overall.. chuffed!
  • Burton
    Good effort! I think my team finished 109th overall.
    None of us experienced MTB racers.

All in all a great event, very well supported, still not recovered though!
    Roll on massage time tonight!
  • Burton
    Results are here..........

http://www.dbmax.co.uk/store/vo2_results
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    good course except for all the gloop they could easily have cut fresh trails round that especially when rest of course was bone dry. Tenner for camping as well as £40 entry and the whole bike was wash thing was a bit of a joke as well only two spots to do it yet they bigged it up so much as well and you can tell the reason they kept the gloop in the course was to market the whole 'muc -off' essence. My chain twisted and then bent my deraillier ended up running half a lap but luckily brought spare bike. All in all though I did think it was a good event met some nice peeople there as well
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'