Stuck with handlebars

Ben GT
Ben GT Posts: 25
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Howdy

I am new to mountain biking and have recently started experimenting with my bike set up. I have raised the seat to a position where my legs are comfortable but as a result this is causing some lower back ache after my ride!

I have tried to raise my handlebars and cant- i dont think they move! I dont know what i should change... I have read some some of the threads here advising 'change the stem' or 'change to riser handlebars'.

I am a noob and although i know what your talking about i dont completely follow! Can someone help?! Change the stem? Doesnt this attatch to the fork? How do i do this? Or riser handlebars? Are they the ones with a bend (no disrespect to anyone but are these like what womens bikes have..?)

I dont know whether i should just add bar ends to give me an extra inch and be done with it! Argh! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike is it? Do you know what type of headset it is ie threadless or threaded?
  • Ben GT
    Gary Fisher Wahoo disc (2010)

Sorry not following headset :oops:
  • supersonic
    Did you get any instructions?

You have a threadless headset like this:

headset-threadless.jpg

You adjust height by swapping the spacers around. If you have no spacers above the stem, then you need a new bar and.or stem.
  • Ben GT
    I have two spacers. Is it possible to get more? Or do I have to take the bike apart and measure my stem and change it?

I appreciate your quick response and assistance :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it has a threadless headset, unless there is a spacer above the stem you cant raise the bars unless you buy a high rise bar or a high rise stem.... they do atatch to the forks but only with pince bolts, and the bars are just clamped in a simialr fashion. Check park tool to se how it works, or take it to the LBS with your new bars/stem once youv got them..... i would say get new bars before a stem.....
    these would be good:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2657
    but also think about width and sweep and also whatever...
    and they certainly arnt for womens bikes only... you bike proablly has them now... but it will have low rise most likesly....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Ben GT
    How much extra rise do handlebars give?
  • supersonic
    Ben GT wrote:
    I have two spacers. Is it possible to get more? Or do I have to take the bike apart and measure my stem and change it?

I appreciate your quick response and assistance :D

You can't add, only rearrange them.
  • Ben GT
    Grim!

So just to clarify, find out the size of my handlebars and get new ones with a larger rise? Is the rise judged by the degree of the bar? If so is there anything in particular i should be looking for?

I know i might sound pathetic but as i said noob :oops:
  • supersonic
    No, the degree is the angle of the bend. It should say on it the rise in mm or inches.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ris is literally as it sounds, its how high above the centre clamping section (the bit held by the stem) the grip part of the bar is, typically bars are flat to +1", but a bit more rise can be had.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.