Clicking hub

unscarred
unscarred Posts: 208
edited April 2010 in The workshop
I'm getting a worrying clicking noise from the freewheel on my flip-flop hub when pedalling, but not when freewheeling. I've checked each bit individually, it's definitely the freewheel, not the cranks or the axle.

Anyone had this? How do I tell if it all just needs a bit of lubrication or if the bearings are knackered? What do I do to get my beautiful silent bike back?
FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    unscarred wrote:
    I'm getting a worrying clicking noise from the freewheel on my flip-flop hub when pedalling, but not when freewheeling. I've checked each bit individually, it's definitely the freewheel, not the cranks or the axle.

Anyone had this? How do I tell if it all just needs a bit of lubrication or if the bearings are knackered? What do I do to get my beautiful silent bike back?

More info, please?

How many miles? Frequency of clicking? What have you changed?

Cheers,
    W.
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    More info, please?

How many miles? Frequency of clicking? What have you changed?

Cheers,
    W.

I do about five miles twice a day, and I've had this bike just a couple of weeks.
    I hear several clicks every revolution of the pedals, more loudly when going uphill or pedalling hard. Nothing when freewheeling.
    I haven't changed anything, but give how new (to me) the bike is it could be just bedding-in. From their condition I think the wheels/hubs were new when I bought the bike.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!