Base Layers When Racing or Not?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited April 2010 in MTB general
How many of you wear base layers generally? Before anyone says you should usually wear one..yes i wear one 95% of the time.

Do you wear a base layer when XC racing though?

thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    edited April 2010
    TBH the weekend just gone marked the end of baselayer wearing for me till the end of Summer (any unseasonable change in weather excepted).Took it off mid-ride going up The Wall because I got too warm.

Why should you wear one 95% of the time?
  • P-Jay
    P.S. I don't race XC.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    P-Jay wrote:
    TBH the weekend just gone marked the end of baselayer wearing for me the end of summer (any unseasonable change in weather excepted).Took it off mid-ride going up The Wall because I got too warm.

Agree with this, just started at the weekend riding in just a cycling top (no base or jacket) but I do seem to generate more heat when exercising than the average human.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Base layer pretty much all year for me.

Nike Pro-fit are very good and not too warm, the main aim is to wick sweat away from your skin anyway.
  • mikeyj28
    P-Jay wrote:
    Took it off mid-ride going up The Wall because I got too warm.

Sorry-i meant in autumn/winter/early spring conditions

I do sometimes wear one in 15C weather under a cycling jersey though as i find when going down hills i can chill quickly on my chest area as the sweat dries
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    the main aim is to wick sweat away from your skin anyway.

Totally agree with you. Last thing i want is to be a soggy mess and liable to chill easily
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Bit of a silly question I think. Almost all lycra tops will wick away anyway, so you don't have to worry about that. I only don't wear a base layer when its very, very hot, and I'm going to be doing a lot of climbing (big mountain days on the road bike, for instance).
  • P-Jay
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    Took it off mid-ride going up The Wall because I got too warm.

Sorry-i meant in autumn/winter/early spring conditions

I do sometimes wear one in 15C weather under a cycling jersey though as i find when going down hills i can chill quickly on my chest area as the sweat dries

Ah I see. yeah I rock a Howies base when it's cold, I've got long and short sleave versions - gawd bless the occational discount Howies shops. TBH I'm quite chunky so generate enough heat to power Anglesea if it's more than 5/10c out.

I