The future is here

supercyril
supercyril Posts: 201
edited April 2010 in MTB general
i know that ebay links are not allowed but this is not my add.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/motorised-bicycle ... 2559ce00ad

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    A mate's colleague (in Bristol, so that's not him) has done the same thing.

His bike was stolen, so he claimed a new one on the insurance, then his was found, so he bought it back for a nominal fee from the insurance company....and decided to put an engine on it, as you do! :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Hmm, what tyres for motorised mtb? ;)
  • I had a ride on a vintage version of one of these a few years back, all I can say is - it needed disc brakes!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i was gonna say damp, extra weight, 30MPH! and Vbrakes :shock: not likely :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    wow, i want one! that is awsome! probably shred tyres though.... and my first upgrade would be some... disks! potential pain with the v's...!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I'm thinking with the extra weight on the back, and the extra drive on the rear wheel, you'd pull some pretty sick wheelies.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Now combine that with Realman's suggestion in the 'flying with you bike' thread :)

flying-bike.jpg
  • Discs would defo help! but he's used the rear brake mounts to bolt it on :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A motorised bicycle eh? That's a brilliant idea! Amazing nobody's thought of it before :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Northwind wrote:
    A motorised bicycle eh? That's a brilliant idea! Amazing nobody's thought of it before :lol:

Just what I was thinking, what shall we call it? some combination of motor and bike, Bikemotor perhaps?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    hoochylala wrote:
    Now combine that with Realman's suggestion in the 'flying with you bike' thread :)

flying-bike.jpg

Singlespeeders huh? Complete nutters, the lot of them.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Damn, I was hoping for a plug on garlic bread there!
    I seen something similar over 20 odd years back.
    My mate had a bike with a rear mounted Yamaha 50cc engine and a crossbar mounted fuel tank on a more traditional bike as this was pre the MTB era. The engine was a bolt on effort he imported from Taiwan.
    It had no clutch and to start and stall the engine you had a "valve" on the cylinder head, pull the plunger up and it would bump start while pedaling and also stall if engaged whilst the engine was running. The engine would also tilt via a lever so the friction drive would hover about an inch from the wheel for bump starting.
    The contraption had a thumb lever throttle, was back end heavy, understeered like crazy, wouldn't stop and the friction drive devoured rear tyres.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just what I was thinking, what shall we call it? some combination of motor and bike, Bikemotor perhaps?

It's like a faster velocipede. We shall name it the velocirapidor.

Either that or "motorbike" but that just sounds stupid.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TBH, I would rather have a real dirt bike or a real mountain bike than one of those