Which Bike

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I will be upgrading in the next few weeks from a Trek 1.5 2009.

The trek is a 58cm and i find it VERY comfortable indeed, and i'm hoping for the same on my next bike.

I would ideally like full Ultegra on my next bike and was originally considering the Canondale Synapse Ultegra, however this is a 'little' out of my price range budget unfortunately.

Also, i'm a heavy rider, 17st 2lbs, so maybe an Aly frame will be better?

So, i've narrowed it down to the Scott Speedster S10 Ultegra or the Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra.

I don't really like the look of either, however i understand the Cannondale is supposed to be a really good frame?

Also, i've found a few photos of the CAAD9 in the link below with red decals on it, and red bar tape, and i 'personally' think its turned it into one awesome looking machine.

My question is can i change the decals on the bike to look like this? Is it the same bike?

Picture standard from Evans Cycles

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec020235

Picture of the other i've seen (there are a few different photos of different colours on this thread)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... s%3Disch:1

Comments

• akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Re decals, not worth the effort and money. Should also point out that the CAAD9 is quite an aggressive race bike, while the Synapse has a more relaxed/comfortable sportif geometry.

There are plenty of bikes at the 1.5k so you can easily find an alternative that pleases your eye.
  • Soni
    I 'may' be able to stretch to the 105 Synapse at a real push, however i really wanted Ultegra group....
  • akcc05
    Wouldn't worry about that, 105 shifts just as well as Ultegra 6700, front shift lever throw is a wee bit heavier. The main disadvantage is braking performance, but unless you are a downhill kamikaze, it's not that big a deal.

Plus, you can always upgrade as things wear.
  • smaidment
    smaidment Posts: 30
    How do the Cannondale Six and CAAD compare?
  • akcc05
    smaidment wrote:
    How do the Cannondale Six and CAAD compare?

Start a new thread, it will attract much more attentions, and there are loads of owners of either bikes in this forum.
  • Soni
    OK Guys, this is definetely a goer now, got the all clear to buy the bike.

Out of the two, i understand the CAAD9 has a brilliant frame (probably better than the Synapse?

But the Synapse will be more comfortable than the CAAD9?

Which is the better bike - the CAAD9 i presume?

Is the CAAD9 really that uncomfortable?

I presently ride a Trek 1.5 2009 and i'm really pleased with how comfortable it is...
  • oneway
    oneway Posts: 1
    I have a Trek 1.5 and also find it extremely comfortable. This is due partly to Treks great frame design even on a 1.5, but moreover due to the performance fit top tube which gives a slightly higher ride hight at the front.

I have just ordered a 5.2 Project one performance fit as I know a pro fit would leave me very uncomfortable on the bike especially on long rides.

I know colour and design is important but the top priority must be ride comfort and fit !!

If you are that impressed with your 1.5 comfort be very careful moving away from the performance fit.

Hope this helps :wink:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Soni wrote:

But the Synapse will be more comfortable than the CAAD9?

Which is the better bike - the CAAD9 i presume?

Is the CAAD9 really that uncomfortable?

I presently ride a Trek 1.5 2009 and i'm really pleased with how comfortable it is...

I have a CAAD9. Not with Ultegra, but I can comment on ride quality. My first ride out I thought crikey this is a bit harsh, mainly at the back end mind. Next thing was to replace the saddle and the tyres which came with it. Conti GP4000s tyres have improved the bike no end and now I don't notice much if any discomfort. Deflating the tyres to 100 psi has helped and not impacted on performance at all.

The bike handles beautifully. I don't like the sit up and beg geometry of some bikes so the (slightly) aggressive position suits me fine. Really depends on the type of riding you want to do. I typically do 40 or 50 mile rides in flattish Norfolk and the CAAD9 fairly powers along.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • akcc05
    edited April 2010
    What do you want from the bike? Are you a racer who loves to ride, or a rider who occasionally race?

Kinda an obvious question but why don't you go to Evans or your Cannondale LBS to test ride them both? It's a lot of money (to me that is) if you get the wrong bike.

Not that you'd care but I'm currently looking into getting a 2010 Ridley Excalibur to replace my 2007 Trek 1200 as my Sunday best. :lol:
  • Soni wrote:
    I 'may' be able to stretch to the 105 Synapse at a real push, however i really wanted Ultegra group....

I moved on from a trek 1.5 to this It's full Ultegra and a great bike. Much better in every way from the trek. I have a 56 trek and a 55 in this. They have both 57 &59 which would be in your size range.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/928-ultegra-carbon-2009-road-bike-ec016943?query=bianchi
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Soni
    akcc05 wrote:
    What do you want from the bike? Are you a racer who loves to ride, or a rider who occasionally race?

Kinda an obvious question but why don't you go to Evans or your Cannondale LBS to test ride them both? It's a lot of money (to me that is) if you get the wrong bike.

Not that you'd care but I'm currently looking into getting a 2010 Ridley Excalibur to replace my 2007 Trek 1200 as my Sunday best. :lol:

Hi Akcc05, i want a comfortable bike (well at least as much as my Trek 1.5 is) with upgraded components over the Tiagra/Sora mix of the Trek 1.5, a bike that will climb well, a bike that i like the look of, and a bike that is 'good'. (is this too much :D)

However, my single most consideration is longevity, i want a bike that will last, i'm 240lbs and don't want the frame to suffer from fatigue early on in its life.

I like the look of the Cannondale Synapse, but these are Carbon.

I don't particularly like the look of the CAAD9 2010 but i understand this is a really good bike.

I've just been looking at the Canondale User manual and it states:-

Well designed “composite” or carbon fiber bicycles and components have long fatigue lives, usually better than their metal equivalents.

So - Carbon will be as suitable for my weight as Aluminium will be?

Cannondale also offer a lifetime warranty on their road frames against manufacturing/material defects however they also state the following:-

In most cases a fatigue crack is not a defect. It is a sign that the part has been worn out, a sign the part has reached the end of its useful life. When your car tires wear down to the point that the tread bars are contacting the road, those tires are not defective. Those tires are worn out and the tread bar says “time for replacement.” When a metal part shows a fatigue crack, it is worn out. The crack says “time for replacement.”

So therefore there is no telling how long the frame will last with a heavy rider and if it does crack it will be due to the frame wearing out due to the weight of the rider? :?
  • akcc05
    That's beyond me I'm afraid, but I do know this from my days at university, aluminium is probably one of the worse engineering materials in terms of fatigue resistance, which is why you won't find them in structures that are built to last or have zero tolerance towards fatigue failure such as oil rigs, aircraft engines and vehicle chassis. Under load, aluminium will eventually fail, the higher the load the sooner it will fail, most likely at the foot of welds.

Steel (and titanium I think) can be designed with fatigue limit, meaning that under a certain cyclic stress level, cracks will not grow and fatigue will not occur.

Carbon is a lot more complicated, as it is a mixture of two materials, and durability will depend on the %void of the composite, the lower the percentage and size of the voids (cracks) the better. Quality of the manufacturing process plays an important role in this (not "handmade in Italy", Taiwan or China or whatever), as temperature control, moisture control and suspended particulate control of the plant is essential.

So don't think that the CAAD9 is any more durable than the Synapse just because it's aluminium especially when it's one of the lightest production aluminium frames.
  • Soni
    OK i've ruled out Carbon, although i really like the look of the Synapse, i wouldn't be happy if i was to accidentally drop the bike on the corner of a step or overtightened the front derailier bracket and heard the frame go pop....

So, its either out of Aluminium or Steel...

I can only get the bike from Evans and there doesn't appear to be much of a choice with steel, apart from a strange looking Bianchi......

Any ideas on any other Steel road bikes sold at Evans?

Also, any idea if there is an insurance i can take out on a Carbon bike which will cover crashes and accidental damage?