Calling all photographers!

pilsburypie
pilsburypie Posts: 891
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I am a keen mountain biker and also a keen photographer. These are my 2 big hobbies...... big expensive hobbies! :shock:

Any of you lot keen photographers? What's your camera kit? Got any good MTB photos you'd like to share? Any tips or tricks?

I'm thinking of having a word with some peeps on here about events or meets where I could go along an indulge in my photography hobby, take some shots and pass them onto the riders for free if it allows me to go on the course and set up if I don't get in the way! Cannock DH meets have to be on the cards.... like the airbourne action. Do the DH myself there but certainly not to meet standard!

My Kit, Canon 1DsMk2, 24-70L, EOS 50D 17-55is, couple of 580exii flashes and some radio triggers plus a bunch of other stuff.....

One from the other day - just a snap really, no proper set up - must get the flashes in on the act!

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo20 ... bike-1.jpg

Comments

• I still use a film SLR :) Canon Eos 1000f.

I much prefer it to pictures taken in digital... you can definitely tell the difference!

Tis all about getting to know your camera in my opinion... the more practice you have the better you're pic will get!

Tis easy for you lot with digital too.... I don't know how mine are going to turn out until I develop them/get them developed! :lol:
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Hi Mate
    I am a pro photographer and take it from me you will not be doing yourself any favours if you go to meetings and offer the riders free pictures as there will be other photographers there trying to make a living best way is to get yourself in and SELL your pictures that way the other photographers will be ok with that as its just competition and the one that gets the better shot makes the sale
    good luck mate

and your kit is fine
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    also just looked at your picture its fine but you need to get in closer, use the wide angle lens for something unusual and light the rider with flash
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Got an EOS 7D here but dont get much chance to use it when out on the bike at the mo.

Hoping to get some biking shots during the summer though.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • pilsburypie
    CameraUK - never thought that selling the photos would be "better manners", but I see your point. Making money is not my aim - taking photos is.... but if it keeps the pros happy then so be it!

Cheers for your advice - the picture posted was a "snap" to get the ball rolling but I understand where you are coming from. That's why I want to go to meets.... to set up and have the opportunity to take loads of shots of different riders to experiment....

Skonk - the 7D is a mighty fine camera - nice and fast focusing for the action!

Benj - I used to have a film SLR a while back...... took great shots, but now you can check your photos instantly and make adjustments saving the "suprise" of getting your photos back..... developing costs are huge to so really limits the number of shots you can reel off.... you probably know this!! hey, not bashing you like :wink:
  • camerauk
    Your 1DsMk2 and 24-70L are more than adequate for the job maybe get a 70-200L f4 or f2.8 if funds can stretch and you have a great setup
    I know it seems daft about selling your pics but at least you can pay for fuel and equipment etc you don't have to charge a fortune for em just make sure your about the same as the other photographers don't be tempted to go in alot cheaper and post some more pics for us to see :wink:
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • pilsburypie
    Thanks for your advice...... just a little confession..... the 70-200 will have to wait..... the 1Dsmk2 and 24-70 are not yet in my hands - purchased saturday and awaiting delivery..... wooohoooo!

So yes, more pics will be on the way soon! :wink: :P
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I have a 24-70L - it's an awesmoe lens.

The problem I have is since I started MTB'ing photography has taken a back seat; I need to re-tune the balance.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    im a pretty keen photographer, not very good mind, and i dont do it as much as i would like, im lacking in time as we all are.... i find its very dificult to take a good MTB shot, but they are awsome when you get it right.... My kit is nothing special, just an old Minolta z1, its not amazing, and its well battered, but i like it, and it has IMO a great lense, i know it well, and the low MP's doesnt bother me as i dont very often blow me pics up very big.... i also have an old Olymus SLR but i need to get it a lense.....

here's one i took a few weeks back, its not great, and the sun spots are a shame, but i like it...... BTW, as you can see this one has been edited using "colour focus" on picnic. i think it really helps to highlight the action, and helps filter the sun spots out a little.....
    kilveyproedcoulourfocus.jpg
    and here's an original of the same shot...
    PICT0029.jpg
    I like bikes and stuff
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Nice pic.

Guess there is more play with shutter speed and catching Focus on rider and a little camera movement to be done. Otherwise is really a good beginning!

Its a shame those with better cameras unfairly get all amazing quality, but still ... think its all about how you do it.

I want eos5 D right now!!!
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Hi All,

Good to see a few other photographers, I've just last week brought a Canon EOS 550D (standard 15-85mm lens) and so far so good. Upgraded from a 400D as I wanted the HD video (apparently the video tech in the 550d is almost identical to the twice as expensive 7D. I've also got a ex430 flash (not used in the photos below) and am currently waiting for a 50mm f1.8 lens.

As I tend to be riding it's my girlfriend that takes the pictures (I set the settings and she points and clicks)

A shot from the 400D from last year:
    IMG_4671.jpg

A shot from the 550D at the weekend:
    air600.jpg

I know I should of used the off camera flash to light myself in the second picture, but with a bit of photoshop the fact that i'm in shadow can be used for a cool effect:

air1600.jpg
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    i have a 5D and some L glass. i keep the 24-105 on, i hardly take it off.

i don't take a lot of action shots because I’m normally out on the bike and don't want to damage the camera.

Summer's almost here so I’ll be getting some sun rise/set shots on my commute to work!

here's a few of mine (one in the sig).

859657877_19633f03d0.jpg

3293084406_0865ec96cd.jpg

3766036276_5b5f620379.jpg
    LOL road riding.
  • joshtp
    popstar wrote:
    Nice pic.

Guess there is more play with shutter speed and catching Focus on rider and a little camera movement to be done. Otherwise is really a good beginning!

Its a shame those with better cameras unfairly get all amazing quality, but still ... think its all about how you do it.

I want eos5 D right now!!!
    thanks for the tips.... iv actually improved alot since i took that.. i say a few weeks back, but if i think about it, its probably more like 8 months ago! lol, that was taken without a tri-pod, which i nearly always use now, and i hadent had my camera long, i have improved a fair bit..... its really fun though to get a good pic, im not very good i know... but fiddling with settings and playing about till im happy and getting a photo that others look at and say "wow" is awsome.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    for anyone interested here's a flickr thing-y-mo-bob i just put together of some of my photo's, as you can see im all about bold subjects and bright colours...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49073536@N04/
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Doombrain I think they're fantastic, I'd love to see some more if you have any.
  • joshtp
    RealMan wrote:
    Doombrain I think they're fantastic, I'd love to see some more if you have any.
    +1 :D
    I like bikes and stuff
  • popstar
    Doombrain don't you dare to show more amazing quality photos, I will burn in envy ... could you leave specc under those sexeh photos? Eos 5D rules ... looking at those photos I start to shake and want spend my savings intended for a new car :( .

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Doombrain
    popstar, if you think you can spend on bikes wait until you start of canon glass!
    LOL road riding.
  • MacAndCheese
    Doombrain wrote:
    popstar, if you think you can spend on bikes wait until you start of canon glass!

That's true, serious money could be spent on lenses! Some of the guys I watch motor racing with have the really long lenses (400mm +) getting well into the thousands of pounds.

Just out of interest does anyone know why the longer lenses are made from the horrible beige plastic, rather than the smart black of most other lenses?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I am a keen mountain biker and also a keen photographer. These are my 2 big hobbies...... big expensive hobbies! :shock:

Any of you lot keen photographers? What's your camera kit? Got any good MTB photos you'd like to share? Any tips or tricks?

I'm thinking of having a word with some peeps on here about events or meets where I could go along an indulge in my photography hobby, take some shots and pass them onto the riders for free if it allows me to go on the course and set up if I don't get in the way! Cannock DH meets have to be on the cards.... like the airbourne action. Do the DH myself there but certainly not to meet standard!

My Kit, Canon 1DsMk2, 24-70L, EOS 50D 17-55is, couple of 580exii flashes and some radio triggers plus a bunch of other stuff.....

One from the other day - just a snap really, no proper set up - must get the flashes in on the act!

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo20 ... bike-1.jpg

Cycling, photography and tennis are my main pastimes and I shoot with a Nikon D200 and a variety of lenses. Anything specific you need help with?
  • Doombrain

That's true, serious money could be spent on lenses! Some of the guys I watch motor racing with have the really long lenses (400mm +) getting well into the thousands of pounds.

Just out of interest does anyone know why the longer lenses are made from the horrible beige plastic, rather than the smart black of most other lenses?

I think it's nothing more than a trademark of Canon. I have a 100-400 f/4L IS and i don't like the look of it :(
    LOL road riding.
  • MacAndCheese
    Doombrain wrote:

I think it's nothing more than a trademark of Canon. I have a 100-400 f/4L IS and i don't like the look of it :(

Found the geeky answer on canon's site:
    "Lenses contain glass elements. These expand with heat. This is not usually a problem with compact lenses − the amount of expansion is small. But large lenses contain large elements and here expansion can bring a lens close to the limits of its design tolerances. A white surface reflects sunlight, helping to keep the lens cooler. "
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What's the deal if a mate comes down to an event and takes pics of me and other mates for free - anyone liable to kick off?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    kick off? havnt tried. i have a canon 40d w/ 17-85mm & a 55mm -200mm (cheapo) lens.
    done mostly scenery and bit of studio
    hasnt been a mtb event in the north of ireland ever since the red bull moonraker thingy which was possibly 8yrs ago.
    anyways
    this guy is greatness http://www.svenmartinphotography.com/
  • MacAndCheese
    supersonic wrote:
    What's the deal if a mate comes down to an event and takes pics of me and other mates for free - anyone liable to kick off?

Don't think so..as long as you get in the way of the official photographers or do anything silly like jump out on the track to get the ultimate shot.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • camerauk
    it will be fine so long as they can sign on as a photographer which should get them free roam of the track and the signing on part is basically saying that they will not sue the event if they get injured by a rider etc although they will have to contact the organisers to arrange before hand
    If they are just taking pics from where the spectators are there should be no probs although now if there are children taking part laws now apply to photographing children
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • pilsburypie
    Well chaps, you've all come out the woodwork! Some truely fantastic shots!

Respect to the "L" glass! As I previously mentioned, my first "L" comes any day now, that thin red band is just sex! So much so I'm sorely tempted just to paint one around my sh1t lenses!

When I first posted I was wondering if there would be no replies but I feel pleased there are other photobikers......

I will over the next couple of weeks make a special biking photographing trip with my new gear and get my flashes popping off camera and see what I come up with.

Keep posting chaps - nothing better than bikes mid air! :wink:

Sampras38 - anything I want help with? Not really on the technical side - I'm fairly happy with that although my first shot was nothing special..... any good ideas you have for setting up shots though... like shots you have done before that come out well. One I have in mind that I want to do - Good drop/jump, flash concealed behind rider for a rim light, second flash to side of rider low down firing up with me underneath the jump shooting up as the rider goes over. Just looking to shoot loads from every angle with creative lighting to see if I can get a "magazine" shot...

Also going to buy a few bike mags to see if that gives me any inspiration. Any that are particularly good for photos?
  • Doombrain
    here's one of the other half having a rest (moan).

3958905799_87fa7ef52e_b.jpg
    LOL road riding.
  • popstar
    Seems MBUK is the mag for photos. Crazy angles making average rider look supercool. But somehow there is more focus on a rider than a flashy sparkling bike. Guess the best photo would be with bike and maybe scenery as a main point, and rider as the last focus point ... if average Joe was riding it even better. Many would be inspired they could be that rider. Don't take any offence, it's just a quick thoughts for basic layout of picture.

C'mon -put bike mags photographers to shame!!! More pics!

• pilsburypie
    Doombrain - is that vignetting on your photo PP or from the lens? Cool Shot by the way :wink: