Lakeland Loop

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
Nice One...........just found out today that been acepted from the reserve list for the Lakeland Loop!

Thats my diary looking fairly ok so far!
Good mix of road and off road and got an event every month from march through till october!
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• Im looking forward to it as well should be a good test . Hope the weather gets better
  • The last two years have both been warm and sunny. :) better than most 'summer' days in the Lakes
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    mike whats that shop in penrith that is empty bar all the cycling photo's in the window? was there in november and was a bit mystyfied?
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I'm doing this too - I really need to up the training as I've been a bit slack the last 3 weeks with just weekend rides and nothing midweek (although weekends have been hilly 65 milers)
  • Rich K47
    Rich K47 Posts: 62
    Hardknott and Wrynose were still closed to cars today and passable as long as you don't mind a bit of 'cross action, mainly at the top of Wrynose. The ascent of Hardknott from the west is completely snow free. Fantastic riding conditions in the Lakes today with Birker Fell even more stunning than normal. See you at the Lakeland Loop and/ or the Fred!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am doing both as well. Look out for a black Stork Scenario.
    Brian B.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    also doing and sh!tting myself about hardknott & wrynose. I think I'm more scared about these two than the Etape.
  • Brian B
    popette wrote:
    also doing and sh!tting myself about hardknott & wrynose. I think I'm more scared about these two than the Etape.

And with good reason Popette. I cycled up the tourmalet, etc and would rather climb them than Hardknott/Wrynose at 100miles in the Fred. LL will still be bad despite the lesser distance. Great training for your Etape though!
    Brian B.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Ach fear not Popette! I walked up Hardknott on the 2008 Fred Witton - ALL of Hardknott, from the moment I crossed the cattle grid - and still got into the first class time group band thing.

Not sure what my point is.

Oh yes, lots of people push up these buggers, there's no shame and it's almost as fast as cycling up em. And as brianB says, the Lakeland Loop is a great training ride. Lotta hills.
  • AndyD2574
    Riding the loop and the fred!!!

Look out for a Cervelo RS................with a very tired Geordie on board!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • As i said befor am looking foward to this .It will be my first time in the lakes on my bike
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi,

This will also be my first LL and coming from a flat Norfolk i am very concerned about the passes

Might wear my trainers as may be walking more than riding

Good luck to all on the day and lets hope the weather is on our side
  • Any one no what the roads are like pot hole wise
  • AndyD2574
    Never mind teh potholes................what about the snow!! :shock:
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • AndyD2574
    Anyone know a nice wee B&B near the start of the L Loop?

Most places wont accept just a saturday night booking.

Will be a 5am start if I cant get anywhere to stay!?
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    Don't want to tempt fate but the weather outlook for this event is *very* good. Dry, sunny, warm-ish and little wind. If these conditions do prevail it will be the 4th year running with excellent weather.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Any one no what the roads are like pot hole wise

Not too bad really (though I rode up on a fat slick shod MTB so less bothered about surface than I'd be on a road bike).

The one thing to watch out for is the hairpin at the top of the killer ramp on Hardknott. The surface of the outside of it has gone and it is just loose asphalt. I went onto it, standing on my pedals and as soon as the back wheel got onto the loose stuff, I stopped. Instantly. Probably would have been a clipless moment if I had been clipped in. If you can't cut the corner, prolly best to sit down as soon as you reach the hairpin. You can cycle round the loose bit but you might not have that much directional control at that point :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I'm looking forward to my annual walk up Hardknott.
  • gavinrae
    gavinrae Posts: 9
    just checked the weather, it's looking good boy's and girls. could we get any better than last year.hope to get up hard knott this time, hope there's less cars this time. will be early start from kelso so look out for the kelso wheeler, i'll be the only one. 8)
  • AndyD2574
    I'm heading from Glasgow and want an early start........how long do you reckon to get there???........2 hours?
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I live in Kendal and have worked in Glasgow a few times and I would say four hours would be a more realistic time to get to Langdale without rushing.
  • AndyD2574
    LeighB wrote:
    I live in Kendal and have worked in Glasgow a few times and I would say four hours would be a more realistic time to get to Langdale without rushing.

:shock: :shock: :shock: .....early start for me!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • AndyD2574
    Excellent..................managed to book the last room at New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel................................roll out of bed on sunday jump on the bike and go!!! :D
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • Brian B
    LeighB wrote:

Seems a bit slow Leigh from Glasgow. I live near Falkirk and can make it in 3.5 hours by sticking to the speed limit. It take me approx 40mins to get to Glasgow. I can make Scarborough in 4hrs. Multimap from here says 3hrs50mins approx.

Early start for me :lol:
    Brian B.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Are there time classifications on this ride? What is considered a good time?

From what I've read about Hard Knott, we have a steep first section, a less steep middle section (still steep though) and a final horrendous ramp. On some climbs, people will tell you if you make it to there, then you've cracked it. Is there a similar marker to aim for on Hard Knott? Any tips to make it up?

I'm taking cleat covers anyway. I don't think I'd walk it much slower than I'll ride it.

Also driving on the morning - couple of hours from my house to Windermere. The weather looks like it's going to be great. I'm looking forward to it but scared of that big bugger!

See you there :)
  • Brian B
    Popette,

I have climbed it many times in the Fred(and other times) and for me if you get up the first half then you can make the rest. The first half is worst IMO but the second half usually catches people out as they are tired by this time.

The 'middle' section is 10% and then the last few ramps are awful but the last steep ramp is terrible and takes a real effort to keep going. Think of your lowest gear for climbing and then wish for 2 more. Good Luck.

Its tradition if you get up hardknott not to walk on wrynose and scream with the effort at the top. :D
    Brian B.
  • sagalout
    Really looking forward to this now :) pulled a muscle in my back on Monday and haven't been able to train all week. Thought I was going to have to miss it, then woke up this morning and felt much better.

Just back from an easy 20 mile spin and no adverse reaction so looks like I'll be gone for it. Was thinking of buying new pedals and shoes tomorrow as currently running SPDs and mtb shoes with recessed cleats, but with a possible walk up Hardknott I might just hang fire until after this one!
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Well it's a cracking day down here in the Lakes today and forcast more of the same tomorrow - warm and sunny and no wind!
    This event seems to attract good weather.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • sagalout
    Looks like first ride of the year in shorts rather than tights! Better get leg shaving tonight lol
  • Brian B
    What a great day - weather and atmosphere was fantastic. The event was well run and good sign posting and food stops were excellent. All this for £17 - value for money and then some.

I have just driven back to sunny scotland(and for once its true) and was wondering how others got on. I made it up Hardknott without too much dificulty and climbed the best I have ever done. The only down side was I was cramping all the way up in different parts of my legs depending whether I was sitting or standing. The cramps disapeared on Wrynose and then returned on Blea tarn - havent had cramps like this before even on the Fred.

I made it around in about 5hrs and waiting for the results to come up on the web site.
    Brian B.