LEE_05
LEE_05 Posts: 97
edited April 2010 in Routes
anyone been ? is it anygood ?

Comments

• andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    I was there a few weeks ago.

Yeah, it was good and worth the visit. I did the 25k red route which was pretty bloody knackering. Was a great route in places but very tough I thought also. The last section of the Omega Man was cool. You could spend the day doing that and the DH runs next to it without doing the red or blue routes.

If you're within 90 mins of it it's worth going.

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • big_barker
    big_barker Posts: 526
    hi yes its a must out of all the 7stanes this has to be my best, i stay in glasgow and travel down reguarly, iam sure you will love it. enjoy
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I did the full red last year and thought it was poo! i felt like i was going up hill all day until i went down soem forest track ? :(
    have been back a few times more recently, just for the omega man and the shredder, they are both superb :)
    if you are an xc man you might like the whole red if you do anything remotely freeridy then spend the day on the omega man (end of red) and the orange! IMO
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    I agree with that actually. There was a shitload of climbing. It was good though. I was too knackered to make the most of the end bits. I'll def go again though but spend the time on the fun bits.

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Ride it almost every week if I can
    Live within biking distance :lol:
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Definitely worth a visit if your in the area, only a couple of steep technical short climbs, the rest are mainly shallow fire road climbs and the like. The Red route has some great descending sections.

Its also close to Mabie and Dalbetie, which are also great. All three trails have different a feel with i think compliment each other.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Every time we nearly go, someone says "But it's not that much further to Kirroughtree" and we end up going there. But I definately want to get in there some day soon, if only to look at the ae downhill and say "**** that!"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Will probably go myself, whats the conditions like at the moment?
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    snow on all 7 stanes this weekend but laggan wolftrax is open! might check out cambusbarron for a change
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Lots of climbing at Ae????

Compared to GT or Innerleithen there's hee-haw climbing

Ae is worth a visit. If you're feeling fit it's only 20 minutes to half an hour from Mabie as well.
  • LEE_05
    whats mabie ? Is it a trail center ? Were ment to be going to ae sunday do you think snow will be to bad.
  • chick0
    Mabie is the original 7 staines trail.

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/achs-5rnfl6

The Red route is a nice flowing route. The skills area / bike park is fun, but the The Kona Dark Side trail is a must ride trail.
  • trailpuppet
    There is NO SNOW anywhere(atm)on the Dumfries Stanes routes ie Ae, Mabie or Dalbeattie. Kirry and Drumlanrig are also fre of snow
    whats mabie ? Is it a trail center ? Were ment to be going to ae sunday do you think snow will be to bad.

Yes, short but sweet :lol:
    Mabie is the original 7 staines trail.
    Almost true but Dalbeattie was/is actually the first 7Stanes built trail. Mabie is where the idea was conceived and the trail crew as it existed then built their first bit of trail, the end of Rollercoaster.
    http://www.imba.com/international/slideshows/scotland01.html
  • LEE_05
    is the a bike shop at ae ? just got the bike out of the shed to find that i have a flat tyre. and if there is a bike shop there would it be open today. or is there anywere near anyone noes of that would be.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    yes they have a bike shop on site and a nice scottish man who gave me and my mate a big jar of sweets
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    i thought AE was brilliant gonna go a few times this year. there are some fun bits before the end. i didnt think there was excessive climbing at all, if you want that try the marin trail. they do nice bacon sarnies too.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • LEE_05
    do you think it will be open today ?
  • pastey_boy
    ring them
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    Tel: 01387 860541
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • LEE_05
    well i ended up goin today dident think much of it only done green blue trail and the the end of one of the dh section that bit was best dident rele have time to do the red one i think winlatter is alot better than there.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Seems like you missed out the main trail :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • trailpuppet
    LEE_05

Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010 4:46 pm
    well i ended up goin today dident think much of it only done green blue trail and the the end of one of the dh section that bit was best dident rele have time to do the red one i think winlatter is alot better than there

What :?: :?: :roll: :roll:

http://www.ae7.co.uk/
  • chick0
    LEE_05 wrote:
    well i ended up goin today dident think much of it only done green blue trail and the the end of one of the dh section that bit was best dident rele have time to do the red one i think winlatter is alot better than there.

The Blue and Green trails are for families with younger children who are looking for leisurely bike rides... !

The Red trail is 24km and is the "proper" trail. This route is real mountain biking, it's rough & rocky in places, smooth in parts, has some tough climbs, some great technical features and some seriously fast flowing sections.

The Orange rated 1km route known as The Shredder is not quite as full on as the Ae downhill course but it's fast, furious, flowing and superb fun, and can be ridden on your typical trail bike..

The 1.6 km competition Downhill track is extreme, it holds national competitions. Is only for experienced riders riding "big" bikes..
  • johnboy373
    johnboy373 Posts: 17
    edited April 2010
    delet
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    You must have pussies for mates, I rode Ae on Thursday 1st April and its a damn good trail. No snow, lots of hills, good views and fresh air.

Everything an XC ride should be.

If you dont like climbing I suggest you take up something less physical, like knitting!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • LEE_05
    wish a had done the red route now but as it say dident rele no what the red one was like and dident have much time. and i dident say anything about not doen the the long climbs. but i think winlatter is better set out and has rele good trails. yeah think it was the the orange bit we done was good but some bits were abit harsh to do on a hardtail.
  • trailpuppet
    but i think winlatter is better set out and has rele good trails

It is good but not as good as Ae.
    Was there yesterday with some of my Go-Ride club kids. 2 of these kids are just 8yrs old and completed the south red loop and the blue loop. So Whinlatter as good as it is it is not that difficult............... :roll: :twisted: One rides a small Spec ht and the other had his Grans Orange :roll: