Tips and advice for looking after your bike?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Previously I've only ever owned bikes where I've never minded a few scratches and scuffs, but I've just spent a fair bit of money on a new bike and I want to make sure I look after it!

So, what tips and advice can others offer for general day-to-day things that I can do to keep it in generally good nick?

Is it worth giving it a spraydown at the end of each ride, or is that likely to get water into bearings?

How often should I be applying oil and lube to the gears and if so, what's the best types to use? Are there any that shouldn't be used? Should I lube the whole chainset or just certain components?

How often do you strip down your bike and clean it? Do I need to?

How best should I store the bike? Hang it from the garage wall?

Should I keep the tyres inflated over winter?

Just looking for sgood advice on really basic things I should get into a habit of doing to keep my new pride and joy looking pristine!

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Hi Barry

I am in the same situation as you, and asked the same question a few days previous. The only response I have received is a sarcastic reply to my English grammar.
    My bike will have a freebie service in a month or two after running in and am sure yours will too.
    I will be asking my LBS to advise. Sometimes get the impression this site is for elitists. Shame.

Mr Goo
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I give my bikes a wipe down with baby wipes after a ride if it's got a little bit mucky. If it's really dirty I'll spray on some cleaner and hose it down (low pressure only) and dry it off.

The baby wipes are fantastic! They get rid of muck, grease, everything! (You can usually pick up a buy one get one free offer in tesco). Just get plain unperfumed. Huggies are no good as they break up easily. Makes you wonder what they do to kids' backsides though :shock:

I hang my road bikes up on the wall (unless it's in the turbo) -

Cervelo1.jpg

Using one of these -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Wall_Rack/5360026439/
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Hi Barry

I am in the same situation as you, and asked the same question a few days previous. The only response I have received is a sarcastic reply to my English grammar.
    My bike will have a freebie service in a month or two after running in and am sure yours will too.
    I will be asking my LBS to advise. Sometimes get the impression this site is for elitists. Shame.

Mr Goo

You get pricks in all forums complaining about this that and anything other. I suspect they're just lonely people or youngsters trying to be manly.

Also, you need to make sure you're in the correct forum. Sit around for a few days and watch the activity, rather then just dive straight in and then realise it's full of **** heads.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Anonymous
    With regards to lube - don't do what I did when I started and lube everything as muck sticks to it, just lube the chain and a tiny dot on the moving parts of the gear derailleurs.

I tend to keep my tyres inflated all the time.
  • Anonymous
    If you want a really good clean of the chain / cassette etc, don't spend a load of money on 'bike' degreasers from a shop, this stuff is a fraction of the cost and is brilliant -

Degreaser

You can dilute it loads and put it in an old kitchen spray to do a quick clean.

If I want to clean the cassette I remove it and put this stuff on with an old paintbrush...

Just be careful not to get it in to the bearings...
  • mr_goo
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Hi Barry

Mr Goo

You get pricks in all forums complaining about this that and anything other. I suspect they're just lonely people or youngsters trying to be manly.

Also, you need to make sure you're in the correct forum. Sit around for a few days and watch the activity, rather then just dive straight in and then realise it's full of **** heads.

Exactly my point. Some people very helpful some not so helpful.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Hi Barry

Mr Goo

Is this the thread you're referring to? If so, I see no comments on your grammar, sarcastically or otherwise. Moreover, there are direct and helpful replies. Elitist?!
  • I used to use clear Fablon but now I have clear adhesive tape (can't remember the name) about 3" wide which is quite thick. I put a layer or two of this on the frame where the cables would rub away at the paint by the headstock etc.
  • mr_goo
    balthazar wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Hi Barry

Mr Goo

Is this the thread you're referring to? If so, I see no comments on your grammar, sarcastically or otherwise. Moreover, there are direct and helpful replies. Elitist?!

No this not my original post. By the way have never pretended my grammar and spelling perfect!!.

I think that a great idea for this web site would be to have mini videos on maintenance and care for bikes. This is a growing sport with lots of newbies like myself taking up cycling for fitness and fun but would like help. Without being talked down to.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Yeah what Nap D said. I live in a flat and baby wipes are a life saver. My tyres are fairly cheap and the roads around here are terrible after winter but I've not suffered a P******* for ages by keeping them inflated.

Mr Goo, There are a few pr!cks on here but in the minority, most are helpful. I wouldn't take it too personal.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    A wet lube will probaly serve you best as a newbie, it usually pays to get something bike specific rather than something like 3in1 which may not be thick enough.

Oil things like the chain and deraillers, cables etc, don't oil bits with bearings eg hubs, headset, bottom bracket, these generally don't require much attention and are best left until you have gained a little more knowledge.

When oiling, I tend to oil, work the part to get the oil where it's needed then wipe off the excess, you only need a little and you shouldn't be able to see the oil when you've finished.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    After a wet ride I usually just spray the mechs and chain with GT85 (to act as a water displacer not lube), then before the next ride just add some lube if it's needed. When the chain looks a real mess I'll take it off and degrease it then relube it (usually prefer a wax-based lube as a base and if its wet and some wet lube on top). If I'm cleaning bikes thoroughly it's usually my mountain bikes so my road bike only gets a proper clean every 2-3 months (I'm sure I'd take more care if I had a 'Sunday special' road bike as well ;) ).