Mountain bike training

churchygti
churchygti Posts: 84
edited April 2010 in Health, fitness & training
is there such a thing as mountain bike training and if so is there any in the cambs/norfolk area thanks.
The beast rocks (High lodge)

Hardrock 09 - Rockshox Dart 2

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My bike came fully trained from the shop. :)

This is the only one I know for rider training that is not too far, www.ukbikeskills.co.uk
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    My bike came fully trained from the shop. :)

This is the only one I know for rider training that is not too far, www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

thanks alot im going to herford in june so ill look to get a day booked then thanks

• I just get out and ride me bike! You get fitter and if you keep riding technical stuff you do improve eventually. :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Now dont get me wrong, bike coaching sounds awesome and I really want to to get some coaching in the summer time but...

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/basic_skills1.html

£180 for a one to one or £75 in a group of 4, to train people up on that stuff?!? And only 4 hours?

I'll do it for half the price. :lol:
  • Briggo wrote:
    Now dont get me wrong, bike coaching sounds awesome and I really want to to get some coaching in the summer time but...

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/basic_skills1.html

£180 for a one to one or £75 in a group of 4, to train people up on that stuff?!? And only 4 hours?

I'll do it for half the price. :lol:

nice 1 deal ...

• Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    train on what stuff?
  • Jedi wrote:
    train on what stuff?

mainly bike control, methods to tackel tasks and my ideal goal is to be a fast XC and DH rider.

• you will learn more in half an hour from a coaching expert than you would hope to pick up on your own in a life time, their are plenty of reputable coaches nationwide, but you would be better looking for someone that has been competing at world class level racing, i have been to dirt school at glentress on a group course and it has served me well on the trails back home, you can even buy a dvd from them at £18, chris ball knows what he's talking about, course mostly consisted of, weight distribution, braking, riding roots, rock, drop off doubles, a bit of manualling, doubles and tabletops, basicalliy just getting rid of bad habits that you pick up yourself and having confidence in your bikes tyres to just flow
  • ellsbells1973

Not sure if i read ur post wrong or not ?
    But i've never had any coaching, have no intention of having any coaching and dont need any ! i,m not sure a DVD would do me much justice either.

I,m 37 been riding / competing from the age of 9 on a BMX right up to present day MTB, not a life time of riding yet but i,m getting there. I can drop jump ride clean most if not all or any obstacle, have stood in amazement and watched full on DHers panicking about a few foot of rock at Warny in full face and body armour ! theres not many places in this country i,ve not ridden,

Theres no substitute for getting out and riding your bike ! B@LOX to DVD's about where to proportion your weight, you,ll get the hand of it after going over the bars a few times
    same as doubles, come up short and you will soon learn to carry more speed in.
    i dont want to sound like i,m rubbishing the idea but the statement of spending only half an hour with an ex pro would bore the Sh!t out of me !
  • yea i c both points to be honest riding will give you experiance but training will give u confidance or incuragement of riding you wouldnt normally do??

• Churchy,
    TBH i,ve always found encouragement from riding with others, not so much being egged on by others but watching and learning then when somebody gets it wrong you can kinda apreciate why you didnt go into a certain jump as committed as you should have then when some one cleans it and makes it look easy you can see how you should be attacking it, kinda like having MTB training but learning from the bottom up as oposed to the top level down.

Every one is different and i too can see both sides of the theory behind training but there is no way i would pay for it !
    Theres nothing at these trail centres that isnt rideable or it wouldt be there, the thing is every one is at a different level of -
    A: Fitness
    B: Competence
    By getting out and riding it increases Fitness and makes you more competent and inspires confidence, theres no substitute for hands on training though !

Whatever way you learn and which ever riding style you have just get out there and RIDE !
  • SummerMS
    SummerMS Posts: 5
    For fitness when you cant get out, and want to improve on the hills try spin classes. Great way to kick start your fitness. Otherwise getting out as much as possible for the skills/technique part!