London Phoenix Easter Classic open for entries

keniino
keniino Posts: 23
Hi,

Just to let you know that the 3rd London Phoenix Easter Classic has just opened for entries. As last year places are limited so if you'd like to join us on the day, please sign up now.

This is an easy ride to get to for those living in and around London, starting from within the M25 at Fairlop Waters. We've got two fully signed routes on offer - 112km and 54km - and both will quickly take you out of the city into some of the most beautiful, quiet and unexplored countryside Essex has to offer. It's a really fast and flowing course for those with the legs, but also ideal for those just easing into the new season, or trying a long ride for the first time.

Those on the longer route will be fed and watered at the half-way point, and as last year we'll also be serving our legendary, top secret recipe oat bars and other goodies. And as if the day couldn't get any better, we'll also be showing classic cycling films in the fully licensed and super swish HQ post-ride.

To find out more visit: http://www.londonphoenix.co.uk/

Cheers

Ken
Membership
London Phoenix
membership@londonphoenix.co.uk

P.S. - We're also putting on free talk on March 1st with expert advice covering everything you need to know when planning a cycle tour that will take you off the beaten track. Feel free to join us, more on our website.

Comments

• im in...
  • max1234
    max1234 Posts: 71
    Will there be a GPS download for the route?

Thanks
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    A good time for sure, I've done this the last 2 years.

What's nice is that the winter weather has usually broken by April and it's always 10C+ on the day. I'm all for that after this last winter!

I understand they're doing timing this year but it's still cheap as.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • max1234
    Excellent - thanks for the link!
  • keniino
    Hi Frans,

Cheers for your comments and yes, this we've got our hands on an an old-skool clocking in/out system for timing this year.

We're currently looking into choices for the films we'll be showing post ride - we had 'A Sunday in Hell' last year and for 2010 are thinking of lowering the tone with 'American Flyers' + some French Tour footage from the 80's. If anyone has any requests feel free to post 'em up.

Cheers

Ken
    London Phoenix
  • kez78
    kez78 Posts: 109
    I did this last year, it's a really good ride and run be an extreamly firendly cycling club. There's also a decent HQ for a post ride cuppa which lets be honest is a rarety, good to hear they've invested in some form of timing, a well spent £12 me thinks
  • keniino
    Hey Kez,

Glad to hear you'll be joining us again - it wouldn't have been the same without you!

As last year you'll be more than welcome to use our broom car if you're finding going tough, but maybe go easy on the beer afterwards so it doesn't need to take you all the way back home - again!!!

Ken
  • surista
    surista Posts: 141
    I'll be doing this ride - it sounds great. Anyoen know how hilly the course is? As far as 100+km rides go, is it a suffer-fest or relatively easy?

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • max1234
    I'm booked to do the course and have also been considering applying to join the Phoenix club. I'd be interested to know the sort of times that a club member would be expected to achieve, so I can have an idea if I'm up to their standard. I do regular 80 mile rides but haven't joined a club before and get the impression their rides are at a fast pace?
  • dinosaur
    dinosaur Posts: 86
    surista wrote:
    I'll be doing this ride - it sounds great. Anyoen know how hilly the course is? As far as 100+km rides go, is it a suffer-fest or relatively easy?

I did the short route last year and have ridden a lot in the area - I don't think there are any big hills. Certainly nothing like you would get in the south downs.
  • keniino
    Hi,

just to say that the Easter Classic sold out a few days ago but due to demand we've negotiated an extra 50 places with the excellent Start/Finish venue at Fairlop Waters, and right now there are 40 spots left. So if you want to join us on the day, please sign up now!

The course itself is not hilly (though there are a few climbs at the start and finish), so fast times are possible and a Gold Standard on the day will be sub 3:45hrs. Anything under 3.30hrs and you should be racing, preferably for London Phoenix!

Cheers
    Ken Iino
  • keniino
    ...weather for Monday is looking great so if you fancy a ride in the sun, followed by a beer/tea and the chance to watch American Flyers post ride with some great company, just sign up!

http://www.riderhq.com/events/londonpho ... terclassic

Cheers

Ken
    London Phoenix
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Quick question - is there anywhere at the venue to store a change of clothes safely?

cheers

K
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • keniino
    Hi,

I'll be signing everyone in and if you come and find me (I'll be easy to spot, I'll be wearing a sling on my left arm and looking very sorry for myself) I'll make sure your bag is looked after while you ride.

Cheers

Ken
  • keniino
    Hi,

just to say that thee are now only sixteen spots left for tomorrow's Easter Classic, so please sign up now if you'd like to join us for a day of fast riding through beautiful countryside, followed by the chance to watch the classic American Flyers at our ace ride HQ while sipping an ice cold beer / lovely cup of tea!.

http://www.riderhq.com/events/londonpho ... terclassic

Cheers

Ken
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    keniino wrote:
    Hi,

I'll be signing everyone in and if you come and find me (I'll be easy to spot, I'll be wearing a sling on my left arm and looking very sorry for myself) I'll make sure your bag is looked after while you ride.

Cheers Ken - much appreciated! I'll sort you out for a pint (or beverage of your choice) post ride as a thank you.

K
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell