Where to ride NR Ripon

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
edited April 2010 in Routes
So I am lucky enough to be spending a few days in ripon for work over easter and wonders where is good to ride. I should be getting an afternoon off and a way to take the bike with me.

Im mostly into XC/AM on my HT so suitable routes. Need to be able to rode there or go by train from harrogate.

Dalby Red has been on my hit list for a long time but it seems to be just out of reach for an afternoon :(

Any suggestions will be great, havent ridden in yourkshire yet and would love to get the chance.
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Nidderdale is a good circuit if you just want a XC route - best place to start/finish is Pately Bridge (Pies from the Butchers at the top of the high street are manna from heaven!) - plenty of sites have the route posted - it's something like 22 miles with some ups, some downs and some flat bits :D
  • dav1
    looks good, isit waymarked? Is is possible to ride there from ripon easily?

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    As I remember it's about 12 miles from Ripon - bit up and down - I'm fairly sure there's a back route that's easier _ someone local might be able to help! Trouble is Ripon is on the flat bit in between 2 areas of fabulous riding - the Dales to the West and the North York Moors to the East!

The route itself isn't waymarked specifically for mtb'ing - but the majority of it follows the Nidderdale Way bridleway - off hand I can't remember which sites have it on - it's been in some of the mags etc.
  • dav1
    Im looking at it and its a 11-12 mile ride to fountains earth, which is about half way around based on this map

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/Uni ... ngmap.aspx

Trouble is that my navigation skills are crap and I cant afford to get lost in unfamiliar terrotory riding solo when my retreat meeting begins that evening. I can upload a GPS route to google maps on my mobile though and whip it out of my pocket when needed.

How long does it tipcally take to ride the route? I would usually ride 20 miles in under 2 hrs but then again norfolk is very very flat compared to the dales.

Would 2 hrs (based on the 17 listed on that map posted) allowance be about right? (thinking another hour each way to get there and back from ripon as well so 4 hr total)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I am just bookmarking this as it may come in handy for when I have a few days at the caravan in Knaresborough.