rusted/stuck seat post

Lancslad
Lancslad Posts: 307
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I cant get the bugger out of my old 15yr rigid frame and I would love to so I can potter about with the other half. I have tried wd40 and pliers + bar but it just crumples the post. Only other thing I can think of is putting the thing in a vice. So as I dont have a vice atm I thought I would ask some of you wise people for ideas.

Cheers

I tried the search function but it sucks.
Novice runner & novice cyclist
Specialized Tricross
Orbea (Enol I think)

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

They either come out quite easy after a bit of force, or they take ages & you wish you never started :lol:
  • Lancslad
    Salsa wrote:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

They either come out quite easy after a bit of force, or they take ages & you wish you never started :lol:

Deffo going to be this but its cheaper than another bike and seeing as I just perchased a road bike its not an option really. I'm looking to do it because shes worried she'll have to keep up with me :roll: If I could sort this I would get +1 in her eyes but then she might complain that I just bought a road bike for commuting when I could get the seat post out (my good fortune I couldnt get it out and used it as an excuse :D )

Big thanks for the linky
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    There's been a few recent posts concerning seat posts stuck. My old steel framed bike had the same problem and as a result of frustration and fury I knackered it!

Everyone has advice, but when a post is really stuck it's STUCK! The usual is use WD40 or anti seize stuff and leave overnight, use a vice.....blah blah.

If you don't have a vice, take it to a car garage and ask them kindly. The problem was solved for one lucky chap by having the post reamed out! So, if it's an expensive bike that might be the answer.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Indeed, it's just the last stuck post I took out was a alu one in a steel frame. It ended up taking me 3 hours+, hacksawing through it & chiselling lumps out of the frame as it still wouldn't pull out.
    If I did it again I'd go the ammonia route.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try squirting Plus Gas into the frame through a bottle boss on the seat tube, if you have any, with the bike upside down.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    cut the top of the tube off and get a hacksaw blade. cut down the tube till its through and grip it with some mole grips, it will come out easily.

be prepared for a bit of a slog and blisters mind! :lol:
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Liquid nitrogen
    Wurth Rost Off
    Loctite Freeze and release (frees freeze)
    etc
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    take it down to the local rugby club and ask them for some help with it :wink:
  • Lancslad
    Its not/was never an expensive bike (BLACKROCK) it cost about £150 eighteen or so years ago. I might just dump it and buy a hybrid for pootling about with the missus with all the money i'm going to save commuting on my roadie. I do feel I have to make an attempt at removal though, I'll let you know what happens.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad
    Me + bench vise + sledgehammer = Win. It turned out the post wasnt rusted in just stuck.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad
    Ok I should explain better.

1. took wheel,bars and seat off.
    2. inserted bike upside down into vise and clamped post in.
    3. wiggled frame backwards and forwards,still couldnt get it to move out
    4. looked for something to create some leverage, there was a sledge hammer handy so i put hammer bit on bench with handle running under crossbar next to seatpost and put other end on my shoulder and wiggled frame and pushed up with shoulder.
    5. result

6. went out and purchased new seatpost seat and collar
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)