Who wants more time to ride?

adam163
adam163 Posts: 3
edited April 2010 in MTB general
The following campaign is currently getting a lot of publicity and seems like a bit of a no-brainer for the UK MTB community to support - more evening time to ride without lights - if you agree, it would be good if you could sign up and pass it on.

http://www.lighterlater.org.

Cheers

Adam

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    or get up earlier...

The clock change IIRC, is designed to make it possible for farmers and other agricultural workers to get the most out of their working days, so it seems a bit selfish to ask a hard-working and valuable workforce to have to sacrifice some of there potential working time just so I can go for a longer ride without lights....plus I enjoy night riding :)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But you could say if the farmer gets up at dawn... well it is still dawn, isn't it?!

But of course how he interacts with other people at markets and stuff I guess is the problem.
  • adam163
    adam163 Posts: 3
    or get up earlier...

The clock change IIRC, is designed to make it possible for farmers and other agricultural workers to get the most out of their working days, so it seems a bit selfish to ask a hard-working and valuable workforce to have to sacrifice some of there potential working time just so I can go for a longer ride without lights....plus I enjoy night riding :)

From the FAQ on the website:

"Aren’t farmers opposed to the change?

They used to be. But in 2006 the National Farmers Union issued a statement saying that the reasons for their opposition to past attempts to change the clocks had been “lost in history”, and that they are now neutral or supportive of the idea."
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Or we can just leave the clocks as they currently are, forever.

Stupid 'BST'
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Do not want. As someone who has to get up at 5:30-6am i'd rather it be lighter earlier thank you very much.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Ugh, another tree hugger "carbon emission message" initiative

Well, sorry not interested, perhaps you should approach Bono (U2) and he can write a song about how we'll save the planet from the evils of electric lighting by playing jiggery pokery with with the clocks..
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Can't really see the point of shifting the clocks around myself.
    The amount of daylight is not changed, just shifted to a different point in our illusion of what constitutes a day.
    Before clocks were widespread, people probably 'just got on with it'.
    Kids might go to school at a lighter time of day, but they'll still come home in the dark (Or is that the other way around?)
    Cows will get milked at dawn - ie.when the sun comes up, not when we decide that it's dawn.
    What the hell do they do in northern countries where it's dark for most of the day in winter?

Just seems like a whole load of pfaffing around to me - the time is whatever the time is, not what we pretend it is.

And, as far as biking is concerned - get some lights and ride through the winter.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    As 90+% of the population don't get up/out till 7ish, I can't see why the we need light when we're all asleep. I say move the clocks to double summer time (and I've been saying it for years) I'd rather have daylight so I can sit out and enjoy it - after work, rather than when I'm there.

Raymondavalon - that thought occurred to me (hence the reason I signed the petition - but unchecked the 10/10 box that commits me to a 10% co2 reduction). Hoping to have toy car back on the road soon, all 3.9 litres of it:D
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Ahh this would be great I thought, lighter evenings, fantastic :)

THEN it started wittering on about carbon nonsense & I immediately lost interest.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sell it to the Chinese.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    Ugh, another tree hugger "carbon emission message" initiative

Well, sorry not interested, perhaps you should approach Bono (U2) and he can write a song about how we'll save the planet from the evils of electric lighting by playing jiggery pokery with with the clocks..

Oh how I wish you were being sarcastic, but sadly, you're not are you....
    Whyte 905
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I'd like some please, where can I buy it? crc or wiggle? :lol:
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    just put a miniature electric sun on the front of your bike when it gets dark and when you're in your house dangle these electric suns from the celing to light up the darkness and stop playing with the clocks!

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • belugabob
    One of Gods own prototypes, to weird to live, to rare to die

Too lazy to learn how to spell! :wink:

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    adam163 wrote:
    The following campaign is currently getting a lot of publicity and seems like a bit of a no-brainer for the UK MTB community to support - more evening time to ride without lights

And less riding time in the morning without lights !

I actually like popping down to the woods @ the crack of dawn, I tend to get the whole place to myself :wink:

If you find a way to make the day longer, rather than just time shifting the daylight hours we already have, give us a shout and I'll sign up.........
  • paultrueman
    paultrueman Posts: 118
    darkness usually means the ramblers and dog walkers have gone home, Im quite happy to put lights on and have the whole of dartmoor to myself
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    These people really don't understand what sort of negative effect that things like this do.

So, the clocks constantly change. Imagine how much of an overhead this would cause on any technology that relies on a clock........pretty much everything!

I just see if as generating more work to be able to cope with this constant change which then generates more emissions. Then there is the issue of getting anything with a clock to automatically update with the time changes......... It was bad enough having the millenium bug, how many bits of technology would be redundant.

Thing is, this would work if the amount of hours of daylight is always the same, but it's not constant time changing like this might make the evenings have more light, but it would have a big impact on the mornings being dark.

Not for me thanks, I quite like the idea of changing light and seasons.

Just another tree-hugging stupid idea that hasn't really been thought out. As for the summer having more sunlight......in the height of the summer, it's light by about 4am and dark by almost 10pm...... Why shift that. For those that have ever been to the Nordic areas in summer, try sleeping when it's light!

Go back to the drawing board and come up with yet another pointless campaign, me, I'm off for a spin in my V8 4.2 Jag..... :)
    Craig Rogers
  • belugabob
    x-isle wrote:

Buts that's exactly the point, the changing light and seasons will still happen - we just wouldn't be messing about with the clocks to give some people a false sense of happiness.

• Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    belugabob wrote:
    x-isle wrote:

Buts that's exactly the point, the changing light and seasons will still happen - we just wouldn't be messing about with the clocks to give some people a false sense of happiness.

You should check ya spelling bob :wink:
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Exactly my point.

Surely this is an April Fools?????

i actually got the idea wrong in my last post so ignore that constant changing, I thought they were talking about shifting by an hour to keep up with the light changing. Just realised that it's not the case.

Still think it's a stupid idea. GMT+1 in the darkest winter would actually cause more problems.....!

Rush hour would be dark, this is when MOST people drive, not rush hour coming home.

People start work at similar times, but they don't all finish at the same time, people go to the gym, play football after work so there are less people on the roads at the time that this Beanburger brigade want the extra light.

There are currently too many idiots on the road in the mornings;

> Still drunk from the night before
    > Too tired from not enough sleep
    > Rushing to get to work as they are late
    > More traffic due to school runs

Add the effect of it being darker for longer in this already dangerous time, is just crazy.

I bet if you look at road crash stats, more happening in the morning rush hour than the evening rush hour.

If all you tree huggers topped eating crazy stupid food, then you'd probably all fart less, that'll cut down dangerous emissions!
    Craig Rogers