The glory of the Ealing Comedies

agnello
agnello Posts: 239
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
I recently bought the boxed set.

Lavender Hill Mob last night, already watched Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man in the White Suit. Ladykillers and Passport to Pimlico next.

Are these not the most charming, gentle, yet subtley dark films?

Buy them and look forward to a rainy Sunday afternoon.....[/b]
Stumpjumper FSR Comp
Eddy Merckx Strada
Gios Compact KK
Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
Canyon CF CLX / Record
Charge Plug 3
Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...

Comments

• oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Marvellous films, especially Lavender Hill Mob & Passport to Pimlico. Its even worth digging out the more obscure ones when you're done with these - you'll get Sid James as the baddie (ie metaphor for progress and post war change) in the Titfield Thunderbolt and a great Alastair Sim turn in Hue & Cry + fascinating look at bomb damaged London. The war time ones although not actually 'comedies' used a lot of the same directors - the Foreman Went to France (Tommy Trinder and the bloke from Upstairs Downstairs and the Professionals in that one) and Went the Day Well? (Thora Hird!!) are some of my faves. Oh and Dead of Night - funny and scary.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    An era long gone,i have not watched that type of film for a while but i used to enjoy them alot.Two more i recommend if you get the chance are Whisky Galore and The Green Man.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    It is shocking how flat and quiet London is in these films. P2P and Lav Hill Mob are both made in 1949 I think.
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Is Kind Hearts and Coronets an Ealing comedy? Great film anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    An era long gone,i have not watched that type of film for a while but i used to enjoy them alot.Two more i recommend if you get the chance are Whisky Galore and The Green Man.

Green Man. Superb film. As is 'School for Scoundrels'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for ... 60_film%29
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Classic Quiz Question:

How many roles did Alec Guiness play in Kind Hearts and Coronets?

And for a bonus point:

Which Instrument case contained the banknotes in The Ladykillers?

I ran a Quiz night recently with a whole round on Ealing Comedies, No Google pls!!

'Attack ships on fire off the shores of Orion.........'
  • crumbschief
    Yes another great film there Chip,as for the quiz,6 i think and a double bass for the notes,and that quote is from my favourite scene in the rain from blade runner.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    The Ladykillers is one of my all time favorite films.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Re The Green Man, has anyone had the dish called 'Chop Toad' that is referred to in one scene? I'm guessing it's like Toad in the Hole with chops, but no-one has been able to tell me for sure.
  • crumbschief
    Not i,but you are right,it's a variation with lamb chops instead of sausages - or snorkers as i still find myself calling them now and again,thank you Stanley Baker.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Oh Mr Porter. one of the best, if not the best...
  • Those films capture what London was once like. Quite a few cobbled streets and very few road markings.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, Old London. Was lucky to work in Bishopsgate for 9 yrs, just by Liverpool station.

All the back lanes near Pettycoat lane and around the East End just like the old movies.

Bit spooky when you think Jack the Ripper also stalked around here too !!!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Green Man. Superb film. As is 'School for Scoundrels'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for ... 60_film%29

+1 for school for scoundrels.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    To School for Scoundrels ( post Ealing era) you've gotta add Two Way Stretch and Wrong Arm of the Law. Sheer heaven
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Green for Danger is rather good - another Alastair Sim film. Very atmospheric murder mystery set in a wartime hospital with doodlebugs falling all around.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    - or snorkers as i still find myself calling them now and again,thank you Stanley Baker.

A reference to The Cruel Sea if I am not mistaken? Excellent book and film
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    agnello wrote:
    Ladykillers and Passport to Pimlico next.

Look out for a very young Audrey Hepburn in The Ladykillers! And enjoy every second of the wonderful Passport To Pimlico.

Ahh, I wish I was sat at home with a cup of tea and a couple of these films right now...
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Yes another great film there Chip,as for the quiz,6 i think and a double bass for the notes,and that quote is from my favourite scene in the rain from blade runner.

Bob
  • crumbschief
    owenlars wrote:
    - or snorkers as i still find myself calling them now and again,thank you Stanley Baker.

A reference to The Cruel Sea if I am not mistaken? Excellent book and film

Yes that's the one,great film also Ealing.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    To School for Scoundrels ( post Ealing era) you've gotta add Two Way Stretch and Wrong Arm of the Law. Sheer heaven

And I'm All Right Jack. Top drawer comedy with Sellers, Terry-Thomas, Carmichael, Attenborough, Le Mesurier, Price, Handl, Rutherford... Increasingly topical in this new age of strikes...
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    +1 for Kind Hearts and Coronets, the Lavender Hill Mob and the Ladykillers.

The Mudlark was also a gem.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    stfc1 wrote:
    agnello wrote:
    Ladykillers and Passport to Pimlico next.

Look out for a very young Audrey Hepburn in The Ladykillers! And enjoy every second of the wonderful Passport To Pimlico.

Ahh, I wish I was sat at home with a cup of tea and a couple of these films right now...

Well, you learn something new everday : Audrey Hepburn in The Ladykillers!

I didn't know that! I've watched that film so many times since its first airing - and I was a brat, but never knew she was in there too. A film that oozed so much class. The film's mainstay for me, was Katie Johnson and the perfect casting of the characters around her. Alec Guinness never did a better role.

In fact, along with Kind Hearts and Coronets, I regard The Ladykillers as among the most perfect films ever made.

The Daily Mail, a year or two back, did a promotional giveaway of Classic British Films. Wonderfully they included those gems.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"