White Saddles - Recommendation for my TREK2.3

b12
b12 Posts: 5
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Hiya
I am new to road bikes and have just bought a Trek 2.3
Its a superb bike except ....
the saddle is awful and causing me lots of soreness

Can anyone please recommend me a superbly comfy light weight saddle to replace this one .. I am unashamed to admit that it MUST be white as my bike looks soooo nice !

Much thanks
S

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    there's no such thing as a saddle which is universally comfortable for everybody. You might get 50 people telling you to go out and buy a Fizik Arione, or a Charge Spoon, or similar, but it will mean absolutely nothing because although it might be 'superbly comfy' for them, it might not be for you.

We all have different arses and it's just a case of trial and error unfortunately...
  • b12
    b12 Posts: 5
    :D Wow thanks for replying so soon !
    I take your point onboard ... I am pretty slim 10st4lbs and 5'7" if this helps :)
    its not so much my arse that is sore its the bone between my nadgers and my bum
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Specialized team toupe
    Its whitw with some red flashing on the edges.
    Nice comfy seat I've found but a little pricey
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    b12 wrote:
    I take your point onboard ... I am pretty slim 10st4lbs and 5'7" if this helps :)

it won't help, for the reasons I mentioned. ;)

All I can suggest is starting off with the cheaper saddles and working upwards. I'm quite lucky in that the ridiculously cheap Charge 'Spoon' and 'Knife' are both very comfortable for me, so I have three of them now, probably at the equivalent cost of one expensive italian saddle.

You may/may not be as lucky....
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    b12 wrote:
    :D Wow thanks for replying so soon !
    its not so much my ars* that is sore its the bone between my nadgers and my bum

You sound like you'd suit a saddle with a central cutaway (eg a Specialized Toupe) that would take your weight off the area you describe (PS it's not a bone!)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Specialized team toupe

+2

2009 & 2010 models don't have red flashes on them.
    Mines a 2009, it's all white with faux carbon bits at the back of the saddle.
    Cured my perenium nerve problems, though. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Specialized Romin. I'm in the process of swapping out the Toupe on my bikes for these.

Find a Specialized dealer and borrow one of their test saddles to find if they work for you.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    APIII wrote:
    Specialized Romin. I'm in the process of swapping out the Toupe on my bikes for these.

Find a Specialized dealer and borrow one of their test saddles to find if they work for you.

Better still, get them to measure your sit bones on their assometer before you try a few models. I got measured a few weeks back and as a result switched from a 143mm to a 130mm toupe - result is so much more comfortable.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Or you could measure it yourself according to a very helpful FAQ on the Spesh website:

sitbones 70-100mm apart = 130mm saddle*
    sitbones 100-130mm apart = 143mm saddle*
    sitbones 130-160mm apart = 155mm saddle

* if you ride relatively upright, choose the next size up
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    +1 for the Toupe (actually +2 as I've got one on both my bikes).

As for the assometer, I'd like to mention that at great personal expense and with no consideration for my own risk I had a Specialized saddle meter tattoo'd on my face.

Ladies sizes only.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Redjeep! wrote:
    +1 for the Toupe (actually +2 as I've got one on both my bikes).

As for the assometer, I'd like to mention that at great personal expense and with no consideration for my own risk I had a Specialized saddle meter tattoo'd on my face.

Ladies sizes only.

:lol:
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Wappygixer wrote:
    Specialized team toupe

+1 Looks awesome (although would prefer the white and black one) very comfortable too.

Would like to try an Arione to see if its any better (like the look of them too).

Bontrager do Body geometry seats too, to match your TREK.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    im a charge spoon lover. got the cro-mo and now have the Ti. looks lovely and uber comfy.

can i ask if you use chamois cream as ive always found it makes a big diff to ride comfort.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The Romin is more comfy than a Toupe. I have both.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I tried a Specialized Alias and thought that was comfy till I tried a Bontrager Inform R.

Tried an Arionne, but I stuck with the Bonty.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Ti Spoon and a carbon post. 4 Spoons and counting .. :shock:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The Romin is more comfy than a Toupe. I have both.

At last, someone agrees with me :D