Giant XTC Hardtail Frame

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just to gather some opinions on the Giant XTC HT frame (what is found on the X1 & X2 HT models)

How do you rate it for XC riding/racing? Is it pretty light as a frame or is it a bit lumpy/unforgiving & overpriced?

Honest opinions please guys (&girls haha)

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is about 3.5lbs for a medium, so pretty light!
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    It is about 3.5lbs for a medium, so pretty light!

Thanks Supersonic

By a medium do you mean an 18" frame?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • supersonic
    Yes, the 18.

The frames can be stiff, but not a bad thing for racing.
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    Yes, the 18.

The frames can be stiff, but not a bad thing for racing.

in your opinion If I stick a set of rebas and 717s them would it male a good bike for singletrack & fireroad? Or is it just best for racing?- as I do want to race it.

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    I think it will do a good job for both.
  • mikeyj28
    Superb thanks for that supersonic.

Any pointers as to what I could/ shouldput on the frame to mak. It a quality ride? Sorry if it is a bit vague.
  • supersonic
    Just make sure your contact points are comfortable - saddle, grips and pedals.

Consider tyres, and the terrain - size and grip.

Handle bar and stem can have a marked effect on handling.
  • mikeyj28
    Handle bar and stem can have a marked effect on handling.[/quote]

thanks again for your advice. Do you consider carbon bars to be an expensive luxury or a noticeable upgrade that is worth having?
  • supersonic
    They can certainly drop weight, and in some cases, absorb buzz.

Depends on your budget - you can buy nitrile grips for a tenner that can do the same sort of things, yet they only weigh 20g!
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    you can buy nitrile grips for a tenner that can do the same sort of things, yet they only weigh 20g!

any decent ones that you can recommend for me please? I think I shall be buying some
  • supersonic
    Have a look at poshbikes.com
  • roblade
    roblade Posts: 16
    Having just found a bargin buy of one of these i have been doing a bit of digging and came across the giant archive for older bikes:

http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/uk/03 ... odel=10009

have a liitle nose on there and you can find all the bikes from the years listed, if you go to the giant main page you can find the info on the more recent bikes.

ROB :)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Hi I have an XTC and use it for exactly the purposes you describe.

Mine started life as a 2006 XTC SX,but now has Reba forks,XT groupset,XT hubs with 7171s,Nobby Nic tyres,RF Deus bars and stem,Thomson seatpost and a Fizik Gobi saddle.

Frame weight is 1600g so very competitive,and built up weoght is around 24lbs.

Very fast,good geometry,though quite stiff as Sonic points out.

Pretty tough too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • mikeyj28
    Hi I have an XTC and use it for exactly the purposes you describe.

Mine started life as a 2006 XTC SX,but now has Reba forks,XT groupset,XT hubs with 7171s,Nobby Nic tyres,RF Deus bars and stem,Thomson seatpost and a Fizik Gobi saddle.

Frame weight is 1600g so very competitive,and built up weoght is around 24lbs.

Very fast,good geometry,though quite stiff as Sonic points out.

Looks like you have the bike that i want haha.

How do you find it with racing or you just use it for fireroad/singletrack?

Thanks for the post by the way-interesting to see how others do their bikes up & what they think about them
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Not yet raced it but would be ideal as a budget racer.Mainly use it a lot for singletrack,and it really shines.

Have taken it to Swinley and Woburn a few times too,and have even been known to do afew jumps...... :wink:

I`d definitley reccomend the Rebas,and find the lightest wheels you can,within your buget to do it justice.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo