Newbie having a lot of unwanted discomfort- any ideas?

shortyman
shortyman Posts: 48
edited June 2010 in Women
Hi

I've recently started cycling regularly after a break for a baby and back op (not being particulary experienced before that). I'm loving it but am experiencing a lot of discomfort/ pain in my "lady bits"! I'm not mountaining biking at the moment, but commuting on a hybrid. But as this is a ladies section I was hoping that there would be someone who could help....

I have some padded pants and a very old ladies saddle.

Any suggestions as to fantastic kit for the female form?

Fingers crossed.....

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a Specialized store - they can measure your sit bones and recommend a BG saddle.
  • shortyman
    shortyman Posts: 48
    Thanks, someone at work mentioned getting measured..... I thought they were taking the mick!
  • The measurement for saddles is good, but also just try as many as you can. Borrow from friends/colleagues or any way possible to try them as you'll then find the right saddle for you. I've had some saddles i can't bear to be on and some that i hardly notice. Some of it can also be from being new to cycling it takes your body a little while to get used to being on a saddle for prolonged periods. You could try shorter rides to get used to it.

If you've had back problems as well it may be a good idea to see a physio to check your back is coping, and also make sure your bike is well set up for you. A good LBS should help with that - maybe whilst helping measure you for a saddle!
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Another vote for Specialized saddles - they initially might feel uncomfortable, but the idea is that they support your sit bones themselves rather than the 'padding' around them, so if you do persever and get used to them, they're actually really comfortable.
    I barely feel my sit bones anymore (unless I've had a bit of a hiatus off the bike in which case they let me know about it a bit when I get back on again!)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I agree that it'll be the saddle - I think the key is to try loads and see which suits you! I found the original saddle on my road bike was terrible, my bits felt completely squashed which is never a good thing! :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You should also take a look at the Terry saddle range. Can't say I've tried one, but they get rave reviews. Also, to prevent back issues, have your LBS look at the saddle position and bar position, changing these can make a huge difference for your back. Oddly, also consider the gloves you wear and the grips on the bars. This sounds a small thing but pressure on the hands can translate to a bad riding posture (as you hold the bars badly to compensate), which again leads to back problems.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You should also take a look at the Terry saddle range. Can't say I've tried one, but they get rave reviews. Also, to prevent back issues, have your LBS look at the saddle position and bar position, changing these can make a huge difference for your back. Oddly, also consider the gloves you wear and the grips on the bars. This sounds a small thing but pressure on the hands can translate to a bad riding posture (as you hold the bars badly to compensate), which again leads to back problems.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If it's your fleshy lady-bits then you're leaning forwards too much. If it's your bones then a women's saddle (I have a Specialized) is recomended.
    Always wear Cotton pants and padded shorts if riding for more than an hour.

It took me a while to find a bike whose frame size and layout suited my body shape and now I don't have any problems with lady parts, aching knees or back issues.

Good luck
  • Hi had same problem, seat height for me was a major factor!! also the girls I ride with say going without underwear helps :roll: I tried it as I ride for 2/3 hours at a time again its made a difference. They have also given me different seats to borrow but i haven't yet tried as the above made a difference.
  • miss notax
    Yep, never wear undies under your padded shorts 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    I've always just used the padded shorts too - would think all those extra bits of seams and things if you wore undies too would just dig in and chafe, surely?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, they are not designed to be worn with underwear - I never wear my knickers when cycling.
  • bigboned
    bigboned Posts: 151
    sorry to hijack but seemed relevant, my better half wants to come riding with me but aparantly my saddle is shite.... so is there a couple that would be highly recommended?

we live fairly off the beaten track in ireland so dont have lots of choices on our doorstep so pointers would be good - im reading spesh and terry?

cheers and thanks for your time
    For the muddy - Boardman comp frame ( to match the roadie) running saint/ fox
    For the blacktop - Boardman Pro Carbon

'Currently listening to Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls'
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    another vote for Charge Ladle saddle, mail order from CRC too :D
    Caz xx
  • shortyman wrote:
    Hi

I've recently started cycling regularly after a break for a baby and back op (not being particulary experienced before that). I'm loving it but am experiencing a lot of discomfort/ pain in my "lady bits"! I'm not mountaining biking at the moment, but commuting on a hybrid. But as this is a ladies section I was hoping that there would be someone who could help....

I have some padded pants and a very old ladies saddle.

Any suggestions as to fantastic kit for the female form?

Fingers crossed.....

I feel your pain, i seriously need a different saddle i end up sobconsciously standing up on the pedals the whole time because it is so uncomfortable!
  • miss notax
    I use a WTB She Speed on my current MTB, but I am building up a new bike and have just acquired a Specialized Ariel ladies-specific saddle. I'll report back on which I think is best and what the differences are if that helps anyone!!

(I have been happy with the WTB saddle but wanted to try a more modern one with the cut-out section, hence the new purchase!)

• Another vote for Specialized BG saddles with the cut out bit and the best quality women specific cycling shorts you can afford/justify to yourself. Make sure the saddle is slightly nose down too.
    both wheels on the ground at all times!!
  • I posted this on the other saddle thread but thought it was probably worth mentioning again here. I just bought a women's Bontrager InForm RL for my hardtail and it's made a huge difference to my comfort. I got measured for it in the shop and they fitted it for me there and then. II went straight out and did a 43km ride around the Yorkshire Dales with no discomfort, pain or numbness in my lady bits and minimal discomfort on my sit bones.

It's counter-intuitive as it's considerably firmer and narrower than my old saddle (and not very comfortable to sit on) but as soon as I started pedalling I realised how much better this one was!
    Small fat weak punter