Front or Back Wheel?

fastercyclist
fastercyclist Posts: 396
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I've only got enough money to buy either a front or back wheel. Which is better?

The "other" wheel will be a Planet X Model B.

Purchased front wheel would be a HED Stinger 6; if I buy the back wheel I'd get a HED Stinger 9.

Don't care if it'll look stupid. Someone laughs I'll run them over with my bike. :D

Is this an "okay" idea or are wheels largely complementary - not much point in one without the other??
The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome

Comments

• chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    If you're getting a HED stinger, it's presumably for aero, therefore you should buy the front first. Front wheel has more impact on drag as the rear is in the turbulence created by front of bike and turning legs/feet etc.
  • If you're getting a HED stinger, it's presumably for aero, therefore you should buy the front first. Front wheel has more impact on drag as the rear is in the turbulence created by front of bike and turning legs/feet etc.

Does that over-power the 30mm difference in rim depth?

At 68kg putting 90mm on my front fills me with fear.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • most awesomest post i've read in ages. i've had the same dilema, do i keep saving for the pair or buy one at a time, front or back first ?! it's not uncommon to see deep(er) section wheels on the back so i would go with that if you're worried about looking daft.

Anyone with the nuts to ride a single front HED3 trispoke would be my new hero, but a stinger 9 or 6 would be cool, just pretend you broke your rear disc wheel or something if anyone asks.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    buy the front first, and an aero helmet before the rear :) supposedly aero helmet is as efficient as an aero front wheel from the figures you see quoted in independent tests (i say independent with a pinch of salt)

ive ridden an older hed 90mm on the front...

I am about half stonne heavier than you and had no problem with it on a 10 and a 25 I rode down in andover on it, was worried before mind you (had a disc on the back). Mind you i ride a little more over the front of the bike compared to some so put it down to that

If its gets that blustery before a TT that I dont want to ride a disc, i will be ridding with a 30mm reynolds solitude rim lol as I dont have a deep rear wheel.

i am going to buy a 90mm front (probably an EC90 TT ) first, then get a rear later, maybe next season
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Aero - front first, no question
    Handling - rear first (less affected by cross winds)
    Looks - both look odd!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    If you're getting a HED stinger, it's presumably for aero, therefore you should buy the front first. Front wheel has more impact on drag as the rear is in the turbulence created by front of bike and turning legs/feet etc.

Does that over-power the 30mm difference in rim depth?

At 68kg putting 90mm on my front fills me with fear.

I was suggesting getting the 60mm front first! I didn't think a 90mm front was an option you were considering?

No figures I can quote, but yes I think a 60mm front would give you more than a 90mm rear.