What to do with 105 hubs?

akcc05
akcc05 Posts: 336
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Evening folks,

I have a pair of 5600 32h 105 hubs that has been sitting here for almost a year now. I used to commute with them in all weather laced to open pros, the rims are done but I recently open them up and, to my surprise, the bearings and races are in really good condition.

So what should I do with them? I have always wanted to try tubs, should I lace them up with Reflex, Nemesis etc with butted spokes for a light climbing wheels? Are they worth the investment or should I stay with clincher rims since the hubs are not exactly top of the line? Though I know these hubs are only 16g heavier than 6600 Ultegra.

Opinions on builds welcome!

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i'm not sure i would bother tbh... they are never going to be that light.

i've a set of dura-ace 7700 32hole hubs (front 117g / rear 312g) i might get them laced onto IRD cadence aero rims (460g each) using sipam CX-ray spokes and brass nips (5g each)

that gives me a set of super strong & reliable wheels, but not that light...(front - 737g / rear - 932g) - total 1669g.

Could go lighter on the rim - and loose 135g in total - still puts me at 1534g -

cost will be £285

are the hubs worth it or can you get a better wheelset for that money? I think i'd struggle to get a set of wheeld for £300 that beat the duraace hub setup, but 105 hubs, nor so sure...
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I'd stick with them and build up a Nemesis wheelset. Why not? I'm always loth to throw out decent parts with mileage left in them - if the bearings are in good condition, then there's plenty of miles left in them. Besides "heavy" hubs are far less relevant on wheels, what you want to be concerned with is rotating weight, if weight is the consideration. Thus, rims, tyres sure, spokes to some extent. Hubs aren't really an issue.

With some hunting, you'll pick up rims for £100, then, what, £20-30 for spokes and you're away. For £120, nothing else comes close, surely!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    IMO, tubs are for racing only - the hassle and expense of p*nctures isn't worth it for non comp riding.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Earrings, maybe?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    wait til the Stans Alpha tubeless rim (350g-ish) becomes available?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • akcc05
    maddog 2 wrote:
    wait til the Stans Alpha tubeless rim (350g-ish) becomes available?

There is a tubeless rim coming out? I didn't know that. Actually I was thinking the other day, there isn't a 32h box section tubeless rim available on the market. I'd have thought Mavic would be the first but clearly I was wrong.

I'm riding a tubeless setup already with Ultegra 6700 wheels/Fusion2 tires and have been really impressed, not a single p***ure in almost 1000 miles and only one cut in the rear tire, no leaks though. Thanks for the advice, glad I asked on here. Any more opinions?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Put 2 on your bike and sell the other 103 on ebay
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Send them to me. I'll lace them up and use them as everyday wheels or at the very least a spare set.
  • akcc05
    dennisn wrote:
    Send them to me. I'll lace them up and use them as everyday wheels or at the very least a spare set.

Drive down to my place and you can have it, I'm in your neighboring state. :lol:
  • dennisn
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Drive down to my place and you can have it, I'm in your neighboring state. :lol:

I'm going to assume that by down you mean Kentucky??? What city???
  • akcc05
    dennisn wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Oh you are serious about coming down? You want those hubs that bad? Bloomington IN, I used to spend a lot of time there because of family but haven't been lately.
  • dennisn
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Oh you are serious about coming down? You want those hubs that bad? Bloomington IN, I used to spend a lot of time there because of family but haven't been lately.

Thanks for the offer. The whole thing was a bit tongue in cheek, so don't look for me to pull in your driveway anytime this weekend. :wink::wink:
    Do you race or tour much down in that neck of the woods?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    E-Bay all the way & buy some discounted wheels.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Guz
    Guz Posts: 45
    bompington wrote:
    Put 2 on your bike and sell the other 103 on ebay

:lol::lol:

I'd forget about tubs and buy 2 Mavic Open Pro rims from CRC and build a set of great training wheels.

I done that with my old Dura Ace hubs after wearing out the original rims.
  • akcc05
    dennisn wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Thanks for the offer. The whole thing was a bit tongue in cheek, so don't look for me to pull in your driveway anytime this weekend. :wink::wink:
    Do you race or tour much down in that neck of the woods?

Nah I only have my Kona full sus over there now, which my bro has pretty much taken possession of, so only some short rides on or off road every-now-and-then. Pretty flat in the midwest too so no climbs for me. I don't really race either, though I do some pretty fast group rides with the local racers. I'm a rider, not a racer.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    What I was trying to get across was that I think it will be hard to build super light 32 spoke wheels on the 105 hubs. I'm struggling to do so using the best and lightest spokes (cx-ray) on dura-ade hubs. You coils still build a really mice pair of strong wheels that would be reliable tho.

I'd stick with clinchers unless you are racing on them . I'm just about to get my first set of tubs tho so can't comment further on that.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    moonshine wrote:
    What I was trying to get across was that I think it will be hard to build super light 32 spoke wheels on the 105 hubs. I'm struggling to do so using the best and lightest spokes (cx-ray) on dura-ade hubs. You coils still build a really mice pair of strong wheels that would be reliable tho.

Yeah, but the super light here is slightly irrelevant. Dura ace hubs save roughly 150g over the 105 hubs, but this extra weight is all at the axles, which is far less critical than having extra weight at the rims. You probably genuinely won't notice this.

Tubular rims, on the other hand, reduce rotating weight because the combination of rim+tubular is less than clincher rim+tape+innertube.

Nemesis rim - 430
    Corsa tyre - 250
    Total 680g

Excellight rim - 430
    Rim tape - 20
    Open Corsa tyre - 210
    Inner tube - 95
    Total 755g

This is a saving of 150g for the wheelset, and all of this is rotating weight, as far out on the wheel as you can get, e.g. most critical in your perception of snappiness.

I'd still say go for the tubular build, I've always fancied a set of Nemesis wheels. And, if you don't get on with them, for whatever reason, there's an active market for them on ebay.