Retro builds.. do's and dont's.. advice?

Beardface
Beardface Posts: 5,495
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hey fellow bike tarts,

Just a bit of a random one, after peoples advice etc, on retro.. I've just bought this ('real' pics when it gets here) from fleabay, and will be wanting to make my 'mark' on it.. so! Questions!

I appreciate this is a cheap runabout, but I like buying shiny parts (who doesn't.. :lol: )

- Would it be wrong to slap some carbon on there? I was thinking Bars/Stubby bar ends and seatpost, to absorb some of the rattling a steel rigid is sure to give me.

- It's 7 speed.. whats stopping me from sticking a whole new 8/9 speed drivetrain on there? (or is it just buy the cranks, mechs, cassette, chain, shifters etc and swap things about, or will I need a new back wheel/freehub too?) Will a hollowtech BB fit?

- Front sus - I have some 120mm toras at home, I know this bike would probably snap at the mere sight of 120mm, but, could I lower the travel to say 80-100mm and slap them on? (Pretty sure that '97 Konas had 1 1/8th steerers)

Or, do I stay retro, keep the P2's, accept it is a 7 speed and leave the carbon well alone?

I know I could ask on Retrobike, but, for some reason, I value your guys' advice :wink:

Anything you think would look good/wrong on there? Minimal budget of course, main funds go on the Marin :) I'll be rebuilding it as a commute/winter hack, but will also be taking it out to the Surrey Hills occasionally and letting the missus ride it sometimes, which is why I want to keep the gears rather than SS.

Sorry it's a bit long, and maybe in the wrong section, but, any comments appreciated!
Stav :wink:

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Risking a 3am knock on the door from the orange-robed fundamentalists at retrobike.com, I say do you own thing.

My '96 Proflex has been discretely modified with as much carbon and period LX/XT/XTR kit as I can find but some restraint is required because 21st century parts don't look quite right on such an ancient collection of tubes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are limited at the rear unless you want to start bending and cold setting the rear end.

see Sheldons pages on that.

Carbon why not.

the fork No way. keep it rigid but maybe look to fatter tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    I would agree with .blitz, do your own thing.

Go modern but keep it tastefull and choose carefully avoiding anything super shiney bling as I guess it wouldnt sit well.
  • Beardface
    Hmmm... cold setting looks interesting, but that seems like more hassle than it's worth.. 7 speed it stays, Cheers Nick.. the main reason I asked is because it has gripshift, which I've never got on with, so was looking to get rapid fire shifters.. but, assume that 9spd shifters won't accept a 7 spd cassette/mech?

Next best thing will be something like these then?

I agree with keeping it rigid as well to be honest, I do love the P2 forks, was only thinking about the Toras as they're sitting at home, waiting to be used on something! :)

Tyres currently on it are some mtb slicks, but I have some hutchinson toro xc's at home (2.1), they'd do the job nicely..

Oh, and, does anybody with an old Kona have the seatpost/clamp diameters please? I've had a look, and think the seatpost will be 27.something, but can't find confirmation. (Bike wont be here until April 7th, so can't measure)
  • Beardface
    .blitz/furby - cheers guys, I won't be putting any uber-bling on there, lol, no gold/pink/white etc!! I'll be trying to keep it as subtle as possible.. actually looking forward to using V-brakes again for some reason!

As .blitz said, I just don't want the full on retro bikers lynching me for putting something post 1997 on a 1997 bike.. lol :)
  • nicklouse
    7spd triggers are still out there.

Or you can use an 8spd trigger but have a unused click, 9spd triggers will not as the spacing is different on the cogs. 8/9spd cassettes are the same width.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    "Stav83'' wrote:
    Next best thing will be something like these then?

I rode a retro Claub Butler a couple weeks back, had these shifters on, were suprisingly good :wink:
  • Beardface
    So they are! Just seen some Sram X3 shifters (crc), I'd need a Sram mech to go with them, right? (Currently has a Shimano Alivio mech I think)

And I'm guessing deore/lx hollowtech cranks wouldn't be a problem?

I'm all excited about this budget build.. lol, might have to look out for some ano purple bits and headfeck lycra too... :lol:
  • nicklouse
    Stav83 wrote:
    So they are! Just seen some Sram X3 shifters (crc), I'd need a Sram mech to go with them, right? (Currently has a Shimano Alivio mech I think)

And I'm guessing deore/lx hollowtech cranks wouldn't be a problem?

I'm all excited about this budget build.. lol, might have to look out for some ano purple bits and headfeck lycra too... :lol:

Noooooo

get down to your LBS´s and talk to them. they will have New Old stock.

I am certain we have some stx rc and xt in the shop.
  • Beardface
    Lol, fair enough.. my LBS is a car shop that sells BSO's... :oops:

There are some much better ones not too far away though, shall pop in when the bike gets here. I was just wanting hollowtech as I have tools for them!! Would they not fit then Nick (different BB sizes or something?), or is it a case of that would modernise it too much?

I have some STX RC v-brake levers still laying about from years ago, so they'll be straight on :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    STX RC... 8)
  • nicklouse
    Stav83

BBs have stayed consistent for years with only the width changing.

you will have no probs getting new or old parts to fit.

and yes your LBS is not that LBS that is a place that sells "bikes" your LBS is one that knows bikes and has bits and can fix stuff.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Personally I'd go for upgraded (but period-correct) parts.

Definitely keep the P2s.

I agree with the spirit of doing your own thing, but carbon might be a step too far...
  • Beardface
    @ Nicklouse Cheers again, confirming what I thought about BB etc, I just second guess myself too much, would rather have confirmation from someone more in the know! :lol:

And yup, my 'LBS' is shocking.. sadly, because of recession etc, my decent LBS had to close, so I now have to travel out of town.. sad times. Got some good ones close-ish though, BMB, Freeborn, Cycleworks, Nirvana etc, so shall poke my nose in at some point!

@ .blitz - you knows it, or DX... lol 8)

mrfmilo cheers for the input, first hand experience on anything is always useful! :)
  • Beardface
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I agree with the spirit of doing your own thing, but carbon might be a step too far...

Thanks for the input monkeypump, carbon was an idea, only to eliminate some of the trail buzz for when it will rarely see the trails (got the Marin for that), from what I remember (from my old steel rigid bikes), steel can be a bit unforgiving at times, so hence the thought of bar/seatpost just to aid my ageing, withering body parts!! :lol:
  • nicklouse
    we had carbon bars etc back in ´97 just dont make them risers.
  • Beardface
    Yea, they'd be flat bars, for sure.. most likely the ones from exotic, unless I can find a steal on fleabay or the classifieds :)

Also hunting for a Mr Crud DCD... old school style.. 8)
  • nicklouse
    dont bother with the DCD.

one thing that i was happy to find not available.
  • Beardface
    :lol: Fair play.. more aesthetic than anything, I used to have one years back, and will admit, it didn't do much back then...

Shall stick to the practical purchases on this one.. cheers Nick :)
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    i say go modern to save weight where need be, there are still retro parts about that weight less & look better than modern stuff.
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • Beardface
    Agreed Mattyboy, part modern, part retro shall be the way forward I think.. I'm not particularly fussed about saving too much weight, as it's a steel monster, but I think over the year, I will try to change a lot of parts for either new, lighter parts, or retro, upgraded parts.. :)
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    nicklouse wrote:
    you are limited at the rear unless you want to start bending and cold setting the rear end.

see Sheldons pages on that.

My 94 Univega came with a 7spd cassette, but I upgraded upto 8spd. I thought the axle was the same length just the hub changes between 7 and 8/9spd?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3