Cycle to Work Scheme?Advice for an old new guy.

Shamrock Cowboy
Shamrock Cowboy Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I get a bit baffled as to all the jargon and terminology,let me apologise for thiat firstly.
Would you kind people offer some of your knowledge so that i can set myself up with a bike that i can use for commuting but also in my leisure time.

I would like to get a road bike,preferrably with a triple chain set[my knees are suffering from a bit of wear and tear]Would this set-up be better than a compact?

My budget is between £800-£900,my local bike shops stock Specialized,Scott,Cannondale,Trek and Bianchi and are signed up to the scheme.

I am a first time poster and am very grateful for any advice offered.

Thanks

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    CAAD9

Compact

All you need.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    All the makes you have suggested are good, and you should be able to get a good aluminum triple bike for the money your are suggesting. Or try a compact with a 28 tooth ring on the rear cassette.

My advice would be to get your local bike shop to measure you, and see which bike fits best for you. Take them out for a ride and see how you get on.

If you are older, you probably want a bike that is a bit more upright than low and racey.
    Ask them to swap the saddle for something more comfotable is needed.

Once you narrow them down, choose the bike you like the best, based on comfort and looks.
    At the end of the day you want a bike you will enjoy riding.
  • Many thanks for the info.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Yeah don't be tempted to go mail order - as its your first bike for a while - you need to make sure you get it fitted correctly. If you let us know where you are - I am sure someone will know a good shop.

Also have a look at the boardmans in your local halfords.