Continental Competition tubulars

laurensdad
laurensdad Posts: 46
edited October 2010 in Track
Morning
Does any one have any views / experiences of these on the track? Looks like a sensible file tread etc.
Cheers
Phil

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    They’ll be fine outdoors but I don’t think that they will work that well indoors.

My reason for saying this is that I have had grip problems at both Manchester and Newport with Conti Tempos to the point of consigning them for outdoor/track league use only - the Tempo is supposed to be a velodrome specific tub so I can't see an outdoor specific tub being that good on the boards.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Competition 22's work well outdoors (Herne Hill) and indoors (Calshot, Newport). They are very robust and puncture less than any other tub I've used. Only down side is that they don't 'feel' as fast as other tyres - Vittoria Pista, Sonderklasse, Veloflex.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Eddy S wrote:
    They’ll be fine outdoors but I don’t think that they will work that well indoors.

My reason for saying this is that I have had grip problems at both Manchester and Newport with Conti Tempos to the point of consigning them for outdoor/track league use only - the Tempo is supposed to be a velodrome specific tub so I can't see an outdoor specific tub being that good on the boards.

I use tempos and never had issues at Newport?
    I know Courtney, Luke and Matt and several others down there use them.
  • Eddy S
    I'm glad to hear they work for you and others - they don't for me and it hasn't been a one off thing either.

In the spirit of open-mindedness I tried another pair recently (because I had to use my outdoor wheels at Newport) with exactly the same results. Maybe they just don't work for heavier riders indoors. They certainly don't have the feel of Vittorias.
  • oldwelshman
    Eddy S wrote:
    I'm glad to hear they work for you and others - they don't for me and it hasn't been a one off thing either.

In the spirit of open-mindedness I tried another pair recently (because I had to use my outdoor wheels at Newport) with exactly the same results. Maybe they just don't work for heavier riders indoors. They certainly don't have the feel of Vittorias.

I guess I better diet before going back down after christmas break then :D
  • What's the best (grippiest) clincher tyre for Newport (or similar 250m pine track). Courtney suggested Contis, but this thread suggest otherwise. I'm 15 odd stone and using Fortezza tricomps (clinchers), which are great outdoors. I had a few heartstopping moments of lost grip at the front and am not entirely convinced by them.....
  • Eddy S
    What's the best (grippiest) clincher tyre for Newport (or similar 250m pine track)......
    Vittoria Diamante Pro Light by a country mile - I've used these at Newport for the last couple of seasons for training and I'm approx the same weight as you. And go for the 23's.
  • Thanks Eddy, about to order some now. Just out of interest, what is your approx minmum safe speed on the banking with them? Not that I want to test it, just want the psychological safety margin in my head!
  • Eddy S wrote:
    What's the best (grippiest) clincher tyre for Newport (or similar 250m pine track)......
    Vittoria Diamante Pro Light by a country mile - I've used these at Newport for the last couple of seasons for training and I'm approx the same weight as you. And go for the 23's.

Which session do you usually ride?
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    I use the cheaper Vittoria tubs cant remember the model CS or Cx and they work just fine and are about £16
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • oldwelshman
    Thanks Eddy, about to order some now. Just out of interest, what is your approx minmum safe speed on the banking with them? Not that I want to test it, just want the psychological safety margin in my head!
    Ha ha. Well as your doing the drop ins, do some efforts with Cooky :D How he stays up I don't know, I was behind hime doing flying efforts and he starts really slow and I could feel my bak end sliding down as I was only doing 14mph!! I guess becuase he's shorter and lighter than me. I usually stay about 18mph minimum as I do not feel comfortable lower, maybe it's the contis? :D
  • Which one is cooky? No one was riding that slowly on Tuesday....
  • oldwelshman
    This is cooky with me in the welsh champs, I am sure you have seen hime tghere before.
    I think he is currently coaching 3 days a week there for wcu. I am sure fast track will know if he still does it.
    welshvetssprint2009.jpg
  • oldwelshman
    ahem, former world champion, current world masters champion and still bloody fast for his age doing close to 12 sec for 200m.
    A living legend and top bloke.
    He coaches the welsh squad there so you may see him on derny or just doing maybe 1 or 2 lap efforts but he goes quite slow even up on the rails before he starts to wind it up.
  • Eddy S
    Which session do you usually ride?
    I ride on the weekend sessions that my coach runs 2 -3 times a month Oct – Mar plus other training and events (like the Fast Track Coaching sprint camps) as I prep for the Nat and Euro Masters.

I get down to a Vets session once in a blue moon but sadly I’m too far away to get involved in many of the sessions in the week. However, I was speaking with one of the Newport coaches a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of some more sprint orientated sessions coming up through the summer in which case I might be there more often.

Re the speed: being gravitationally challenged I can’t go as slow as some but probably need 15-16 mph before I start slipping - I have my Polar display set to HR and time so don't watch speed.
  • sorry ro resurrect this, but I am about to change the tyres only now. Apart from the diamante pro lights anything else with a tread? What about the cheaper diamante pro road?

With the pro lights do you have to keep roughing them up with sandpaper, and if so how regularly? I don't want another crash this winter, and since I mght be riding with some slower groups then grip is going to important!
  • oldwelshman
    sorry ro resurrect this, but I am about to change the tyres only now. Apart from the diamante pro lights anything else with a tread? What about the cheaper diamante pro road?

With the pro lights do you have to keep roughing them up with sandpaper, and if so how regularly? I don't want another crash this winter, and since I mght be riding with some slower groups then grip is going to important!
    Speak to Bushy, I recently got a few Vittoria tubs off him after I slid down the track a few times going slow on the tempos. The tempos are fine if your only doing usual sessions as the speed rarely drops below 20mph at all but if doing sprint training may go much slower,so need beytter grip.
  • sorry ro resurrect this, but I am about to change the tyres only now. Apart from the diamante pro lights anything else with a tread? What about the cheaper diamante pro road?

Speak to Bushy, I recently got a few Vittoria tubs off him after I slid down the track a few times going slow on the tempos. The tempos are fine if your only doing usual sessions as the speed rarely drops below 20mph at all but if doing sprint training may go much slower,so need beytter grip.

Got some diamante pro lights - hopefully try them out sunday eve.
  • d87
    d87 Posts: 3
    I found them to not be too good indoors. go for something softer.