Lochgoilhead

Magpie9
Magpie9 Posts: 48
edited March 2010 in Routes
Does anyone know of any decent routes around this area?

I'm heading up there at the weekend with the family and thought I'd take the bike. Could be quite interesting with the return of the snow. Glenbranter forest is quite close and has some trails i think but has anybody been?

Cheers.

Comments

• nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    there are quite a few routes behind the shops and you can pretty much cycle to the top of teh hill which overlooks the village alternatly you can also drive (or cycle) down to Arrochar and head up a number of routes around there Glen Sloy I think it is which is very good singletrack. It was in one of teh MBR magazines a few months back which was a loop from arrochar. i did it on Sunday and it was ace... A lot of uphill though...but the downhill singletrqck is magnificent in places. Would be interested to know what you find in lochgoilhead so please post back after your holiday. Hope the snow is OK
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • Magpie9
    Magpie9 Posts: 48
    Thanks mate. I'll have a look around to see what I can find and let you know.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    There are endless choices from Lochgoilhead. Check the OS map.You can go west to Loch Fyne on paths, single and double track via Clachan Strachur, or on the Hell's Glen road further north. You can go north and north east, climbing high above the Rest and Be Thankful then head south from the picnic area on all manner of cycle paths to Ardgartan Forest or Arrochar. You can follow paths on either side of Loch Goil itself - both actually go somewhere and don't end abruptly as the OS map shows. The west side takes you on road past Carrick Castle then onto a tarred electricity board path to Stronvochlan where there's a myriad of high up and low down forest trails. On the east side of the loch, there is a damp doubletrack path that sweeps down and round the forest peninsula and meets up with a similar track going north along the left side of Loch Long. It's a brilliant circular route with spectacular scenery. A lot of it is on forest fire track and well-marked cycle routes. But there is also plenty hidden singletrack. You could mountain bike for a year here and never be in the same place. Happy hols!