Need some socks - please recommend...

road_runner12
road_runner12 Posts: 113
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I am bloody loving the cycling, only been up and running for 3 weeks. But week by week I'm noticing that I need extra gear to add to my collection. Latest is socks.

Riding into a fierce wind today and I was well kitted, or so I thought. Everywhere was warm apart from my feet - can someone recommend some socks to keep the wind out and the warm in?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Some Merino wool ones will help but for keeping out the cold you might need some overshoes. Lots of bike shoes are very well vented to keep your feet cool. I have some neoprene ones that keep the cold out (to -9C at least) and the wet. Mine were Endura though and they were rubbish - destroyed after 4 weeks & 400 miles. I've also stuck some trusty duct tape over the sole vent holes in my Shimano shoes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Defeet Woolie Boolies or Sealskinz! Toasty! But if it's windy you'd probably benefit from overshoes more than socks as ost cycling shoes are super ventilated by design.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    +1 for overshoes.

I do however like the Rapha merino socks, 3 pairs for 30 quid not cheap but lovely 8)

http://www.rapha.cc/3-pack-of-merino-socks
  • Can anyone recommend some good quality, reliable overshoes for a budget price? (if such a thing exists...?)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - I'd love an overshoe recommendation - I'll start a new thread
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If this was in the middle of winter I would recommend Woolie Boolies (with a decent pair of winter boots a size larger than normal to create 'warm air space') which are excellent socks.

However because this is now Spring, albeit a colder one, something like Prendas Autumn/Early Winter ThermoCool Socks are excellent. Not too bulky but still lovely and warm, and won't break the bank:

http://prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=ty ... 18&ID=2502
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Solo merino socks, very nice.

www.solocc.com

and also the cheap 2.99 ones from Aldi when they ahve the special offers on, not particularly winter weight but f..good for tyhe price.