Buying a bike shed

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all, there are 3 commuters in my house and it is a real pain having to take the bikes throught the house every day so I want to put up a bike shed in our front drive (very large and surrounded by trees so not visible from the road).

Does anyone have any recommendations on bike sheds as I have never bought or had one. Should I just get a cheap garden shed or can you get specific sheds?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Back garden or indoors.

Front garden, no no.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Get a cheap(ish) shed and put a 'sheffield bike stand' inside it set in concrete.

Then use decent locks to secure all the bikes......... or, just get a bike rack (sheffield type) set it in concrete and buy some motorcycle waterproof covers.

I've got 4 bikes, all in the house and it's a real pain.

You'll have to judge the crime rate in your area, how expensive your bikes are before you decide what to do.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Cheap shed in the front ! Lots of bloody great big chains and padlocks would be more use. ie none
    Have a read of http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... rt-1-21131
  • tavyabe
    tavyabe Posts: 283
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Back garden or indoors.

Front garden, no no.

After having my bikes stolen in the past I have one set of really good bikes which remain in the back garden securly bolted to the planet, and for commuting I have cheaper less appealing bikes. We live in a cul de sac and the driveway is concealed by trees so it would not be visible and even if it were, as suggested I would cement a rack to the floor and lock the bikes to it. I am trying to find another way but seems like the front garden shed is the only solution :(.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    tavyabe wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Back garden or indoors.

Front garden, no no.

After having my bikes stolen in the past I have one set of really good bikes which remain in the back garden securly bolted to the planet, and for commuting I have cheaper less appealing bikes. We live in a cul de sac and the driveway is concealed by trees so it would not be visible and even if it were, as suggested I would cement a rack to the floor and lock the bikes to it. I am trying to find another way but seems like the front garden shed is the only solution :(.

Talk to these guys:
    http://www.cycle-works.co.uk/

I have had no dealings with them, but they ought to be able to help... might be pricey, though. If nothing else the website shows some interesting options!

I rent a Bike-Away locker from my local Council at the nearest Railway Station. It's fine for a single bike, but probably not ideal for your needs.

Another possibility:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18775/Outdoor-Buildings/Metal-Sheds-Garden-Stores/Trimetals-Single-Door-Pent-Bicycle-Store#

... they do various sized sheds in different materials.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    I'm very happy with my Asgard shed. A bit pricey at £400, but worth it to look after up to 4 bikes (currently 2 + spares and other bike related stuff). Pretty sturdy construction, with no exposed bolts to attack, shrouded padlocks and designed to be bolted down to concrete base. Although I have mine round the back, I would have put it out front if I didn't have the choice, but I would have gone for an internal ground anchor as well for peace of mind. Also, being a big steel box, it would make a hell of a racket if someone tried to cut/lever their way in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition