I want...

2»

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2010
    Rolf F wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    And oh yes, which bike shop sold this one to its first owner? Epic. You know, who made noises about Viner quality issues before dropping them.....!!!

Should be a bit careful there - Epic were hugely keen on Viner. Sounds like you are implying they deliberately mis-assembled a bike in order to justify ditching a franchise unless you have some damn good evidence. Remember, we don't know the whole story and what you've posted is in direct contradiction to what I've been told so what one side might say is only half the story. And bear in mind that Viner UK seems pretty dead in the water now - the website is a mess and hasn't been updated since August and the English Language Viner website seems to have disappeared totally (I can't find it anyway). Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Viner but I think it is wishful thinking to think that the company doesn't have some problems at the moment.

Rolf, I'm not implying it was in any way deliberate if- and it's a big if- it was down to whoever assembled the bike. No reputable bike shop would risk a customer's life like that. In a sense, as bothered I am about the fault, it could have been much worse if not found when it was, rather then than it failed doing 35 mph downhill. It could have been my washing technique (though I doubt it it's possible), a fault in the factory...I haven't a clue. Hopefully, Viner UK will both establish the cause when they inspect it (they should get it next week) and be able to rectify it. Whatever Epic have said to you and others off the record does not tally with their public statements (in fact, totally contradict them)- if they had problems they should have made them public to my mind, not handle it the way it did. And they didn't have a problem selling their remaining stock of Viner bikes etc whilst talking them up as if nothing had changed.... I can't help finding a certain irony in a bike they sold having a problem, but I certainly don't find it funny that it's mine! And you've said it yourself, we don't know the whole story- but my own LBS are now the biggest Viner dealer in the country, and they've not had these issues......

Viner UK have indeed neglected their web site, but they're most definitely alive and kicking. I got an email from Brian Stanwyck this week. Velocity have been in regular contact with Peter Cole on my behalf since finding the problem. Viner.it's website finally has an English version for the first time since its redesign at the end of the year.

Problems? Perhaps. But I know the people at Velocity well enough to say they wouldn't want to sell any bikes they didn't have confidence in, and if they had a problem they could and would drop Viner.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    StuAff wrote:
    but my own LBS are now the biggest Viner dealer in the country, and they've not had these issues.......

That sums it up - one bike shop gets significant issues, another doesn't. A fairly clear indication that quality control isn't really what it should be. That's fair enough though. The issue is how the problems are dealt with. Ultimately, a bike shop isn't likely to want to drop a company mid season.

Count yourself lucky you got a decent bike that was built before the problems arose. As I said, I'd still have one. However, it has been about 8 months now that I've been waiting for a new bike and most of that has been down to Viners inability to supply. I'm extremely patient but even I have limits and I'm not prepared to start again from scratch only to find it potentially rejected even if it did arrive. How many people would wait as long as I did? Irrespective of any input from Epic, it was a dreadful service from Viner - eventually the endearing disorganisation of the company becomes very wearing indeed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    Rolf F wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    but my own LBS are now the biggest Viner dealer in the country, and they've not had these issues.......

That sums it up - one bike shop gets significant issues, another doesn't. A fairly clear indication that quality control isn't really what it should be. That's fair enough though. The issue is how the problems are dealt with. Ultimately, a bike shop isn't likely to want to drop a company mid season.

Count yourself lucky you got a decent bike that was built before the problems arose. As I said, I'd still have one. However, it has been about 8 months now that I've been waiting for a new bike and most of that has been down to Viners inability to supply. I'm extremely patient but even I have limits and I'm not prepared to start again from scratch only to find it potentially rejected even if it did arrive. How many people would wait as long as I did? Irrespective of any input from Epic, it was a dreadful service from Viner - eventually the endearing disorganisation of the company becomes very wearing indeed.

Got your Look yet?
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    cambs wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Can anyone recommend a shop in SW London (or Surrey) that offers an equally wide range?

I got my Roubaix from Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick. They get pretty stretched at the weekends though.

+1 for Sigma - bought my Pinarello there - they get busy for a reason.

Well I've got next week off, so I might make a detour on the way back from RP one morning.

Asprilla - I'm off next week, too. If you want to test ride my CR1, you're welcome.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not wishing to muddy the waters, but have you considered the Cervelo S1? Its an alu frame, but very light and pretty bombproof, plus those cervelo aero frames with the concealed cabling look the dogs danglies imho and are supposed to ride well 8).

+1. Worth looking at. Have been looking at/drooling over Cervelos recently.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    StuAff wrote:
    Got your Look yet?

Need to check but it should be due in mid April - supposed to be about 6 - 8 weeks from the order going through. I'll believe it when I see it but it'll probably need the ship sinking before it stands a chance of out slowing the Viner. :lol:

Didn't help myself by going for the special order white - the black I could have had a few weeks back.........
  • stuaff
    Rolf F wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Got your Look yet?

Need to check but it should be due in mid April - supposed to be about 6 - 8 weeks from the order going through. I'll believe it when I see it but it'll probably need the ship sinking before it stands a chance of out slowing the Viner. :lol:

Didn't help myself by going for the special order white - the black I could have had a few weeks back.........

Hopefully it'll be worth the wait....!!!
  • rolf_f
    StuAff wrote:
    Hopefully it'll be worth the wait....!!!

Bloody well better be!!! The one I tested did ride beautifully but I do regret not getting the chance to ride a Viner. Should be OK though - I reckon 30 test miles is enough time to get a feel for things and it should be a bit easier than hufting my 14kg tanks around though I'll miss the inverted snobbery value of the Dawes at Sportives :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Not wishing to muddy the waters, but have you considered the Cervelo S1? Its an alu frame, but very light and pretty bombproof, plus those cervelo aero frames with the concealed cabling look the dogs danglies imho and are supposed to ride well 8).

+1. Worth looking at. Have been looking at/drooling over Cervelos recently.

Hmmm, An S! with Ultegra SL groupset went for under £750 on ebay last night...........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX