Fox 32 Talas RLC 2008 vs Rockshox Revelation Maxle air u-tur

Mythic
Mythic Posts: 163
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a stiff, light, trail fork, and i've narrowed it down to these two,

What are people's opinion's on these two forks and would you reccomend the maxle?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike is it for, and are you a heavy rider? What wheels do you have?
  • Mythic
    It is for a santa cruz hecker, i'm a heavy rider 17st and atm i have hope pro 2's on sun mtx, way too much overkill, i know but im changing them, but i have the adaptors for both QR and 20mm
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you go for the Fox's (my choice) you will need a 15mm adaptor.

Go for the TALAS if you want instant travel change, but the Revs if you want infinate adjustablity between two points (if that makes sense)

I think the TALAS is slightly lighter but also less stiff but only slightly. I never noticed a difference when I tried both
  • supersonic
    I think I would certainly make use of a bolt through type system. In fact I am wondering whether the RS Lyrik or Fox Float 36 would suit your needs better.

If you are going for the more XC based approach then either of your options should be fine - what prices have you seen?
  • peter413
    Thats definatly a point sonic.

If you weigh 17 stone then the 36 Float/Talas/Vanilla's will probably be better.

The Van's are the plushest but being coil, they are also heavier. The Floats are very nearly as plush but are a lot lighter. The TALAS is basically a float with travel adjust but is a tiny bit heavier and not quite as plush. Still very plush though :wink:
  • Mythic
    Ahh yes, I am coming from fox 36 talas which is too heavy, i'm looking to lighten my bike,

Also the fox's are the 08 version and are QR,

Bother were for £240 which i thought was a very good deal.

Will i notice a huge difference without the maxle? As i am used to 20mm axle's but if i get a stiff pair of wheels will this counter act the effect?
  • supersonic
    It is hard to say without testing really - some notice it more than others, and as you say, other parts make a difference (including other fork part structures).

Are these second hand then? Factor in any possible servicing costs (and no warranty!)
  • Mythic
    Ahh indeed, yes they are, but the fox's look in better condition than the rockshox.

Also, have there been some reliability issues with 2009 rockshox?
  • peter413
    You would probably be better trying to save weight elsewhere then.

You will probably notice the forks being much flexier when coming from a 36 talas.

Have you tried messing around with bar/stem position? That can make quite a big difference to how light the bike feels.
  • Mythic
    What kind of flex are we tlaking about mate?
    and I'm going to give the bike an overall change, I think the best thing i can do is go and try them out.
  • supersonic
    The bolt thru improves torsional stiffness which equates to more direct steering and lessens the likelihood of the wheel and fork being deflected over obstacles.