Conti Attack Force Tyres

onthefells
onthefells Posts: 157
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
anybody tried em? I'm using their 4 season which have proved very good puncture wise is this weather. I am doing a sportive soon and was wondering about going for something a bit lighter with better rolling resistance but still pretty durrable. Would these fit the bill?

cheers

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I have 4 seasons on right now and love them for winter. So good I am in no rush to take them off while this up and down weather continues.

I have force / attack to go back on, and it is between these and Krylions.which are more training tyres.

From memory at the end of last year you'll not be disappointed. Roll great and work well with the different sizes.
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    The Attack/Force set are full on race tyres so they wont be as durable as the 4 Seasons. I think the GP4000S (that S is part of the name, not plural - the older version is just called GP4000) tyres sit in between the other two. Lighter, less rolling resistance and better grip (black chilli compound) than the 4 Seasons but more durable than the Attack/Force set.
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    hey, i'm currently using the attack force tyres on my nice summer bike. They are a much lighter tyre than the 4 season. they seem to roll nice and fast and give me much more confidence in descending than my conti gatorskins i use for winer training.

currently have about 1700 miles through them and wear markers half gone. other people dont believe this, but i'm a skinny whippet and dont seem to wear things to quick. cant wait to pay £80 for a new set when i need to buy them............... :roll:

used them for lots of sportives last year, and did cheshire cat this weekend on them with no probs. reccomend them to anyone!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I had some for a while, lovely tyres, can't remember how much but I'm sure it was much less than £80, but 1700 miles? I don't think mine lasted 170. But then I'm not a skinny whippet, definitely more the well-padded labrador type me.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I never see these available individually, only as a pair. As the rear will wear about three times quicker than the front, aren't you a bit stuffed in the long run?
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    pretty much. back wears quick as it is real soft sticky rubber.

btw... these tyres dont like skidding - u soon see the casing underneath. happened once to me avoiding a car.

currently £63-70 quid a set... but i suppose i might get a free bag of haribo from a particular shop
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Ribble sell the back ones separately. I've got a pair on my Summer bike which are still ok after about 2000 miles.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I never see these available individually, only as a pair. As the rear will wear about three times quicker than the front, aren't you a bit stuffed in the long run?

Chainreaction do the Force and Attack separately for £34.99 a piece, so this isn't a problem.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18791

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18790

Edindevon
  • onthefells
    cheers everyone...so I think it might be risky using these in a 100 mile sportive on bad roads then...I'll save em for the summer...for anyone interested I got a pair from probikekit for £51...no postage charge either
  • nickwill
    onthefells wrote:
    cheers everyone...so I think it might be risky using these in a 100 mile sportive on bad roads then...I'll save em for the summer...for anyone interested I got a pair from probikekit for £51...no postage charge either

They are as durable as Conti 4000s tyres in my experience. I rode all my sportives on them last year. I had one puncture all year!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    onthefells wrote:

I've been using them on Sportives since the start of the year (same ones had on last year) - currently riding 150 to 200 miles per week - and they have been fine. Seem to get around 2,000 miles out of the back tyre and have just replaced it - could have gone on longer but ran over some glass the other day and it cut the tyre quite badly.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    What would be the advantage of the Force/Attack combo over Contis own Gp4000S ?
  • nickwill
    I can't give you an objective answer, but I would say that they offer a more supple ride. As someone who uses Campag wheels, I've also found them much easier to put on than 4000S tyres.
  • onthefells
    porker, for someone of my standard/speed it probably doesn't make much difference but the front tyre is 22mm and the back 24mm thereby getting a slight aero advantage on the front whilst maintaining more grip and durability on the back
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Tks....I would almost trade a little durability for that aerodynamic advantage....

Gp4000S' were ordered this afternoon,,,,,to compliment the Michlein pro 3's which have yet to arrive.....the aim is to get more choice of tyres for the bike than the GF has in her shoes collection...some way to go yet!