Oi! You! Lurker!....That's right you! Hiding over there!

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
We see you.

Get a forum name and get posting

Started commuting or just thinking about it?
What are you riding or are you still window shopping?
How long's your commute and how long does it take?

Come on in!

You'll love it.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are probably thinking, 'my god, what a set of weirdos'!!!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Hush you!

Let them figure that out for themselves!

We all had to!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Joiiiiiiiin usssssssss.... :twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    supersonic wrote:
    They are probably thinking, 'my god, what a set of weirdos'!!!
    Joiiiiiiiin usssssssss.... :twisted:

I can't think why...
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I’ll bite . . . don’t post that often but I’m bored/stuck on something at work . . . .

I ride 16 miles each way : Hither Green to North Acton, sometimes via Fulham (an extra mile or so) – rain or shine, unless I’m right hungover. As ever, the primary factor in time taken is traffic lights, closely followed by traffic density as the route I take is basically the A2. . . been doing it for about 6 months now and I love it 90% of the time. Usually takes an hour. Record in is 53 minutes, record back is 41 (mahoosive tailwind and almost every light on green).

I ride an Ultegra build Kinesis Racelight with mudguards and panniers and occasionally bring out a Trek 5.5 (no mudguards, no panniers, no rucksack, fast as fark in the right hands - not my hands though – yet . . .!) when the weather’s nice.

Anybody else do the Old Kent Road in the morning?
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    I'm another who very occasionally posts, mainly just lurk :D

Commute is only short (3.5miles each way) but go the long route home when the weathers nice (and I get out early enough to avoid rush hour madness). Have been commuting for a year now and currently riding a carrera subway with mudguards, panniers etc but am off to the bike shop tomorrow afternoon to choose my next bike, can't wait. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yeah, come on in.... the implants only hurt for a short while

startrek-borg.jpg

8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • klirk
    klirk Posts: 13
    One of the lurkers...
    Found the forum a while ago when I started looking for a bike.
    Now anxiously waiting for an Orbea Aneto to be delivered. 13 km to work - can´t wait to get started. Time will tell regarding extra equipment apart from mudguards.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You new lurkers are lucky this time last year GregT would have been all over this in so many more ways than one :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mainly a lurker here also! Hi.

Been a cyclist all my years, been commuting for 1 & 1/2 yrs everyday I'm at work, 5 or 6 and often 7 days a week in all weathers, have only not cycled to work twice in that time.

My commute starts in Portrush (NI) and ends in Coleraine and is exactly 5.03 miles door to door each way. Normally takes me around 20ish mins each way depending what way the wind is blowing, today being the exception, going in this morning took 14 mins 31 sec, a PB on my commuting bike with an extreme wind and a 38.5 mph top speed! Normally don't see any other cyclists on my commute, in the morning anyway, lots of wildlife though, foxs, field mice, occasional roadkill and drunken idiots making their way home home that often have to be dodged.

Bikes include: COMMUTER - Subway 2, with mudguards and fully upgraded everything as original components died after 4 months, weighs a ton but serves me well.

MTB - Hardtail Kona Hoss Deluxe built up myself with sram XO, reba sl forks and other nice carbon bits.

ROAD - Giant Defy 3 2010 - which I'm in the process of upgrading to Ultegra everything, just shifters to go, and a set of RS80 wheels ordered today from Merlin. Must stop this upgrading business! But its like an addiction!
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!
  • misterben
    misterben Posts: 193
    I try and be a bit less than a lurker, but failing mostly. :(

I did a lot of riding, including some touring, when I was in my teens, and then it all dropped off when I left home. About a couple of years ago a did a bit of commuting on a borrowed mountain bike, but it didn't stick. However, I've started a new job and have ridden every work day so far this year, and it's become an enjoyable habit :)

Commute is ~2.5 miles each way in Glasgow, on an old Peugeot 10 speed that is gradually falling apart :( Hoping to do some additional mileage, building up to the Pedal for Scotland in September, although I may need a new bike before then.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • lost_in_thought
    Hurrah for the lurkers! Welcome to the fold!

Be warned, commuting is a gateway drug, that can lead to cycling weekends, sportives and *gasp* touring...

:D
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    hey, i'm another lurker.... prob for the best with a face like this :wink:

i am commuting (outside london) - am i still allowed to play?

my current commuter bike is a cannondale six13. its not to bad as a commute only 13 miles to work and however many i want to do back. usually aim to cover 30 miles minimum, but often manage 40+. commute from sandbach to northwich. average commute in the morning is 40-45 mins (no showers at work so have to take it easy on the way in). currently only commuting 2-3 days due to other commitments.

not an average commuter bike i have to admit, its currently spec'd with ksyrium elites, fsa k-force crankset and a powertap. used to comit on my old caad 3 but that went to the great pothole in the sky.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JamieW wrote:
    not an average commuter bike i have to admit, its currently spec'd with ksyrium elites, fsa k-force crankset and a powertap. used to comit on my old caad 3 but that went to the great pothole in the sky.

Bling, bling! :)

Howdy all.

@misterben - do you have a pic of your Peugeot?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • misterben
    misterben Posts: 193
    cjcp wrote:
    @misterben - do you have a pic of your Peugeot?

carbolite-thumb.jpg

(Fullsize picture here )

Since the pic was taken, I've added some Crud Roadracers. Sadly, the front shifter is coming away from the frame, which I'm guessing might be pricey. Need to sort out the handlebars (brake placement is _all_ wrong) and I have some Charge bar tape to match the saddle. I'm currently debating picking up some SPDs for it too.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • cjcp
    Nice. I have a soft spot for them. I had the chance to buy a white one a few years ago, but didn't. I was young(er) and stupid then.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm both an occasional lurker and a fair-weather cyclist :\ Weather should be picking up again soon, right?

Every time I cycle to work it's the most amazing, enjoyable thing I can imagine doing. Every cycle home is a personal hell. I never have the energy. If we could sort out some system where I could cycle in and drive home, life would be peachy, and I'd end up cycling a hell of a lot more.

Err. I'll get my coat.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

Be warned, commuting is a gateway drug, that can lead to cycling weekends, sportives and *gasp* touring...

And if you are lucky, you might buy a proper bike (MTB) and go MTBing!

;-)
    ;-)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I was a bit of an el lurkio but have stopped that now, it was a bit because I hadn't got my bike down at my place here and the fact I was a bit ill which stopped me from biking till a week or so ago.

Now I am contemplating new wheels and all other kind of things... bad bad bad influence, but I am not complaining!
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    So here I am, you flushed me out. Been lurking around the forum for the last six months or so.

I'm self-employed with just a couple of commutes into Kings X a week but I find an excuse to skedaddle around the south east of the city pretty much every day. Cycling these last 11 years since moving to London has made me so lazy I barely walk anywhere anymore.

Before I found this forum I was perfectly happy with my fast, marathon plus-fitted speedy hybrid. Now, head-filled with tales of carbon fibre bottle mounts and silly commuter racing I crave faster and lighter. To that end I stripped the pannier rack and mudguards from my ride two weeks ago. I've had a wet ar*e ever since.

I'm contemplating new tyres for the summer but what I really need is a second bike, one which I can go even faster on when the weather's fine. I'd never even heard of 'winter' and 'summer' bikes before I dropped by here so I'm afraid I have to blame you lot for my new craving. :wink:
  • further wrote:
    I'd never even heard of 'winter' and 'summer' bikes before I dropped by here so I'm afraid I have to blame you lot for my new craving. :wink:

Welcome! I think it's perfectly fair to blame us lot for a lot of things.
  • cjcp
    further wrote:
    Cycling these last 11 years since moving to London has made me so efficient I barely walk anywhere anymore.

Fixed that for you :wink: .

And welcome! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    I’m a lurker, been reading this forum for a good while now.

I started commuting in Jan 09 after buying a road bike through cycle to work in Oct 08, it’s the first one I’ve owned, a Defy 1, but I’ve been riding for years in the dirt on an MTB. My commute is roughly 3 miles in the morning but I’ve been known to extend it on the way home from anywhere around 6 miles up to 30…

Buying the road bike sort of kicked off a bike buying frenzy and I ended up with 3 new bikes over the course of 2009, replacing my 2 aging MTB’s with shiny new ones and another (carbon) roadie.

Also the amount of kit I’ve bought over the last 18 months or so it slightly obscene and some of the threads on here haven’t helped in the slightest!
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    supersonic wrote:

And if you are lucky, you might buy a proper bike (MTB) and go MTBing!

;-)
    ;-)

Nice one SuperSonic...keep that MTB flag flying no matter what the forum or thread!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Hello everyone

Been lurking a while. Just bought a roadie for a 22 mile round trip commute. Just waiting for my lock & lights to turn up (start work at 6am). Nice to see the weather has changed :roll:

The pain shall commence from next week. Not to much I hope as I'm a runner too.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Touring? :shock: Go and wash your mouth out with degreaser.
  • lost_in_thought
    doogee wrote:
    Also the amount of kit I’ve bought over the last 18 months or so it slightly obscene and some of the threads on here haven’t helped in the slightest!

Bwahahaahaaaaaa! We aim to please...

Welcome to posting!

• lost_in_thought
    Lancslad wrote:
    Hello everyone

Been lurking a while. Just bought a roadie for a 22 mile round trip commute. Just waiting for my lock & lights to turn up (start work at 6am). Nice to see the weather has changed :roll:

Oh my word. You start work at 6am, and you've got an 11 mile commute... what time do you get out of bed?

:shock:

Kudos to you...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Lancslad wrote:
    Hello everyone

Oh my word. You start work at 6am, and you've got an 11 mile commute... what time do you get out of bed?

:shock:

Kudos to you...
    :shock: Some sort of in-built protection filter stopped me seeing the bit about the 6am start on the first read.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    tut tut 6am isn't early, if I leave home at 6am i'd just get into the office at 9am :(

6am wake up call on the weekend is another matter! :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.