C to W commuter bike reccomendations?

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, my son is after a bike through the cycle to work scheme, most probably from Halfords.
It is mainly to be used for his commute from North London into the City, he's worked out a mainly off road route. He has no real need for any suspension as he's not really into 'rough stuff'. So any ideas for a good value bike that would suit, I'm guessing he would not need to go go any higher than about £400.
Cheers,
Steve.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take a look at the Carrera Gryphon:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

There is a cheaper version too if you don't feel the need for discs.

A light, fast bike for the road but with a slighlty more comfortable riding position.

It will depend how rough the 'off road' bits are. In which case I would think about a mountain bike and changing the tyres, and maybe the fork to a rigid one.
  • Thanks for that SS, what do you think of the Carrera Subway at £350 ? The slightly less racy, low maintenace angle looks better suited to my son. The routes will be just parks, tow paths, cycle lane sort of stuff, nothing rough at all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good value, well equipped, sturdier than the gryphon I would say. Might just hit that middle ground!
  • Great, thanks very much for the advice.
    I think the next move will be for him to try and get a gander.
    Steve.
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Steve,

if you're son likes the look of the Gryphon.

I have just upgraded to a Trek and will be looking to sell my one soon.

It is a Med sized disc brake model, just under a year old and still in excellent condition.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to sell it to him through the 'cycle to work' scheme Glen :wink:
    As it is, I think he likes the look of the subway more for his particular needs, but thanks for the offer.
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    I can confrim that I don't have the admin facilities to offer a C2W scheme :-)

No probs, I hope he sorts himself out!
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.