Maxxis Ignitors.

ads4
ads4 Posts: 698
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Is anyone currently running a Maxxis Ignitor? I have been using 2.1 LUST Highrollers over the winter and was going to put my 2.1 Crossmark on the back again, however I am getting drawn to trying a 2.35 LUST Ignitor up front with a 2.1LUST Highroller on the back....good combo?

Cheers guys.
Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    yes
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I hate High Rollers with a vengeance! I find them to wear incredibly fast, but also to be appalling in anything approaching vaguely damp conditions. I am in the minority though :?

As for Ignitors, I've run a 2.35" LUST up front through last summer and the winter, and I think it's a good tyre. It's a little noisy on the road, but it rolls well, grips well in a wide variety of conditions, and lasts well. Vastly underrated I think!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes good all round tyre not brilliant at anything but works in all british conditions short of knee deep mud.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • saracen fan
    saracen fan Posts: 389
    slight hijack here but........

I have been eyeballing maxxis ignitor XC ust tyres as my next purchase......
    i need tubeless tyres that roll well, grip well, and dont wear to badly.
    Im doing the mtb marathon in ruthin wales in september so need a tyre that I can train on the road with and last till then. would these be a good option?
    ta
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've been running 2.1 LUST High Roller up front and 2.1 LUST Ignitor on the rear all through the winter. I usually run high rollers front and back but wanted something with less drag. I was really impressed with the Ignitor. Worked pretty well in all but the muddiest conditions where only a proper mud tyre would have worked. It gripped well over a variety of surfaces and was very predictable it also had much less resistance compared to the high roller. I was very impressed and am now thinking of using it front and back for spring / summer.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Just bought a set of Maxxis ignitor 2.1's for the rebuild. The wire bead versions were only £12.99 each from CRC. I bought a pair of those & x2 pairs of inner tubes for £31.98 from CRC. Fantastic value if nothing else. If they ride well I'll be laughing :wink:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    dogboy73 wrote:
    Just bought a set of Maxxis ignitor 2.1's for the rebuild. The wire bead versions were only £12.99 each from CRC. I bought a pair of those & x2 pairs of inner tubes for £31.98 from CRC. Fantastic value if nothing else. If they ride well I'll be laughing :wink:

I believe those ones are the 70a's. If they are not then let me know please. My dad really needs new tyres and loves his Ignitors but can't afford 20 quid per tyre :(
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    peter413 wrote:
    I believe those ones are the 70a's. If they are not then let me know please. My dad really needs new tyres and loves his Ignitors but can't afford 20 quid per tyre :(
    Yep. that's the ones. Fourth one down here;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... is+ignitor
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    been using ignitors all year. had them on since last january and used them, spring, summer, autumn and winter and never had any problems. perhaps a little bit slippier that a dedicated winter tyre but hey, they're awsome tyres :lol:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i ran 2.35 maxxpro ignitor up front with a 2.5 maxx pro HR for a while... but the ignitor was getting well worn, so its on the back now..... great tyre... and a great combo with the HR up front...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    I run HR up front and Ignitor on the back.

Not sure why you'd have it the other way round. To me the HR is a brilliant front tyre but not so good on the back.
  • jairaj
    heavy_rat wrote:
    I run HR up front and Ignitor on the back.

Not sure why you'd have it the other way round. To me the HR is a brilliant front tyre but not so good on the back.

+1 The HR is a grippy but draggy tyre stick it on the front while leave the slightly less gripper but less rolling resistance tyre the Ignitor on the back
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    im running ignitors 2.1 far better than the high rollers that they replaced
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    Been looking at these too...

Ignitors look to be favourite. If they're £12.99 a piece then that sounds like the ones to get. Can't get much cheaper than that! :)
    Why so serious?
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i have a igntior 2.35 lust, i think its the 70a cause it is the 120tpi version, i did think it was the 60a version until looking at the label recently
    i have it on the front of my bike and its the best tyre ive tired, and that list includes the specialized eskar 2.3 sworks and the maxxis minion 2.35 maxpro. it grips really well and doesn't roll to bad either
    I'm going to get another, this time a 60a put that on the front and this on the back
    what are brakes for again
  • ads4
    The reason I'd put an Ignitor on the front is that I have 2.1 HRs front and back at the mo...therefore I either keep a 2.1 HR up front and go back to a 2.1 crossmark on the back or look at getting a larger front tyre and keep the 2.1 HR on the back....hence thinking 2.35 LUST Ignitor up front......couldn't find a 2.35 LUST HR for the front so thought the Ignitor would be a good bet?
    Adam.

• jairaj
    personally I don't think the HR is a good rear tyre its too draggy. I'd rather get a 2.1 Ignitor for the rear or just Ignitors all round. Hopefully the trails will dry out a bit now so you should be fine.
  • ads4
    So do you think a 2.1HR front and 2.1 Crossmark rear is a better combo than a 2.35 Ignitir front and 2.1 HR rear ?
    Adam.

• jairaj
    My personal preference yes. but you may differ. how you find the HR? I find it has great grip but just drags too much for me so wouldn't want to put it on the rear but love it out at the front.