I want...

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
... a shiney new carbon bike and I've been on a few test rides and have been scouting ebay, and I've come to the conculstion that I need to buy all the bikes in the world ever. I just want them all.

Every time I think I've narrowed down the search something else comes up and becomes my new obsession.

At the moment I'm looking at:

Kuota Kharma (anyone know the difference between 2009 and 2010?)
Kuota Kebel
Cannondale Six Carbon
Cannondale Synapse
Spesh Roubaix
Pinarello FP3
Planet X SL
Bianchi 928

I like my Ribble Dede, but now that I spend most of my time on a steel frame fixie I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's very slightly too big and alu is not the comfiest frame material.

Not really interested in racing, just want to ride a long way in relative comfort; will be going some triathlons and maybe joining a club / doing some sportives.

Looking is more exhausting than riding.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You should have a look at some Looks, Viners and Orbeas as well. No point in making the decision overly simple :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Look at the new cr1, i was very impressed with the back end ride quality.
  • asprilla
    I'm not looking to extend the list damnit!

/ Adds Scott CR1 and Orbea Orca to list....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I have to say that I thought buying my viner perfecta would cure me of my accute bikeitis.
    Wrong. Now I need a commuter.
    You can't win...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Not wanting to add to your list or anything (he lied), there's some nice looking Cubes too. And if you're after not-racing-but-good-for-long-ride bikes, the new Verentis are getting good reviews & that's what they're designed for.

You can never look at too many - after all, once you've bought n+1 it just means that there's a new n+1 to start thinking about.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • rolf_f
    CR1 is very nice. Don't forget the Viner Magnifica :twisted:

A trip to Epic Cycles will cost buttons compared to the amount you'll end up spending there!
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Unfortunately, Epic doesn't do Viner anymore :(
    Still, I can join the chorus recommending a visit there.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    A trip to Epic Cycles will cost buttons compared to the amount you'll end up spending there!

Unfortunately it will cost my time, and my weekends with my baby girl are invaluable at the moment.

I have been looking at their site and dribbling on my keyboard though....

Can anyone recommend a shop in SW London (or Surrey) that offers an equally wide range?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    holybinch wrote:
    Unfortunately, Epic doesn't do Viner anymore :(
    Still, I can join the chorus recommending a visit there.

That's one reason why I'm getting a Look!
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    also De Rosa Avant and Wilier Mortirolo or Izoard.......oh the list goes on :lol:
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Asprilla wrote:

I like my Ribble Dede, ....

I think I would like a Ribble next. Currently on a hybrid (a Ridgeback Flight T1) but would quite like an alternative.

What I NEED to do though is stop being a fat man.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Six Carbon is the cycling plus bike of the year.

Thats the one I wan't. I think I'd have it over all the others on your list. Only fly in the ointment is the bargainous Ribble Scuro RS Mmmm
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I found the Trek Madone a much more comfortable ride than the Kuota, and I've not regretted the purchase since owning one 8)

There was only a 1/2 cm difference in the stretch but it made all difference in the comfort of the bike.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mortirolo or FP3.... Pref the FP3 though :D

Have fun.
  • asprilla
    risi wrote:
    You can never look at too many - after all, once you've bought n+1 it just means that there's a new n+1 to start thinking about.

IThis would be n4 and I've already got n5 and n6 identified in the form of a bamboo single speed and a second hand cyclocross for the winter.
    Mortirolo or FP3.... Pref the FP3 though :D

Have fun.

The only problem with the Pinarellos is that they are generally a long stretch, whereas I'm longer in the leg than the body. I need to get on one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I found the Trek Madone a much more comfortable ride than the Kuota, and I've not regretted the purchase since owning one 8)

There was only a 1/2 cm difference in the stretch but it made all difference in the comfort of the bike.

+1, my Madone was fantastic, extremely comfortable, and great for rides arround 100 miles. It felt great descending as well, I've never been so fast down a hill as I was on the Madone
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Don't forget the higher specced BMC bikes in Evans. The frame is a mix of carbon (forks / top tube / steerer / part of down tube) & alloy (seat tube, rest of down tube, chain stays) and is v comfortable, and they come with a decent g/set and a nice pair of wheels too. Shame only Evans sell them at the min.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rich158 wrote:

+1, my Madone was fantastic, extremely comfortable, and great for rides arround 100 miles. It felt great descending as well, I've never been so fast down a hill as I was on the Madone

The very first ride on mine I hit >46mph :D :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe
    Asprilla wrote:

The only problem with the Pinarellos is that they are generally a long stretch, whereas I'm longer in the leg than the body. I need to get on one.

Yep this is very true - and why they suit me so damn well, with my long bacl and stumpy legs. :shock:

The FP3 has been extremely well reviewed - but then so have most of the bikes on your list!
  • rolf_f
    Asprilla wrote:
    Every time I think I've narrowed down the search something else comes up and becomes my new obsession.

So anyway, I hope we've all been of help to you :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Asprilla wrote:

Yep this is very true - and why they suit me so damn well, with my long bacl and stumpy legs. :shock:

The FP3 has been extremely well reviewed - but then so have most of the bikes on your list!

are the hairs on your back silver by any chance? :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Asprilla wrote:

Can anyone recommend a shop in SW London (or Surrey) that offers an equally wide range?

I got my Roubaix from Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick. They get pretty stretched at the weekends though.
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

So anyway, I hope we've all been of help to you :lol:

Tremendous!

I would post this in the road section, but they scare me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the Viner endorsements, current lack of working one notwithstanding. Before you ask, BB shell somehow separated from the frame- could have been something I did, more likely assembly issue, hopefuly getting repaired next week. Love the Magnifica, it's been absolutely brilliant, and if I end up having to replace it (and I hope not!!) there's a very nice Perfecta sitting in Velocity Bikes in Pompey. Which is well worth a trip, small but perfectly formed shop with a great selection of bikes. Felt, Orbea and a solitary Look also in there. The London Viner dealer, Le Beau Velo, run by appointment only, I haven't had any dealings with them.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    cambs wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I got my Roubaix from Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick. They get pretty stretched at the weekends though.

+1 for Sigma - bought my Pinarello there - they get busy for a reason.
  • il_principe
    StuAff wrote:
    +1 for the Viner endorsements, current lack of working one notwithstanding. Before you ask, BB shell somehow separated from the frame- could have been something I did, more likely assembly issue, hopefuly getting repaired next week.

Oh dear, more Viner quality control issues eh? :lol: :P
  • asprilla
    cambs wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

+1 for Sigma - bought my Pinarello there - they get busy for a reason.

Well I've got next week off, so I might make a detour on the way back from RP one morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:
    +1 for the Viner endorsements, current lack of working one notwithstanding. Before you ask, BB shell somehow separated from the frame- could have been something I did, more likely assembly issue, hopefuly getting repaired next week.

Oh dear, more Viner quality control issues eh? :lol: :P

Very funny. Viner UK have in the past seen frames where diesel, WD40 or similar have been used to clean the frame & it's worked its way into joints, thereby causing this kind of issue. But all I've used on the frame is car shampoo & water, household & bike specific degreasers, and the odd bit of GT85- which plenty of people use as a frame polish, I haven't generally used it for that, and where I have not where it could have got into the BB shell. I certainly didn't wash the BB in any of that stuff, and I don't see how enough GT85 could have got in through drain holes etc to cause something like this. The frame was upside down once- and I mean once- for me to wipe off the BB properly, and I didn't use GT85 on that part of the frame anyway. Unlikely to be a factory issue- they don't assemble complete bikes there, only frames and build kits and Mike at Velocity had never seen a Viner frame failure before, having sold 100s. Another possibility- shop mechanic who assembled the bike had an off day and mis-fitted the BB. The shell was being held in place by a single screw, so something went wrong....fixeable, fingers crossed...........

And oh yes, which bike shop sold this one to its first owner? Epic. You know, who made noises about Viner quality issues before dropping them.....!!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Storck Scenario 1.1 might also be worth a look, as I think the frameset is in a similar price bracket to the CDale Carbon Six. Storck also have a great reputation with CF frames.

If you don't necessarily have to have the current model paintjob, your budget may also stretch to a Cervelo RS - another excellent frameset with a proven pedigree and v. light.

Not wishing to muddy the waters, but have you considered the Cervelo S1? Its an alu frame, but very light and pretty bombproof, plus those cervelo aero frames with the concealed cabling look the dogs danglies imho and are supposed to ride well 8).

If it was me choosing I'd just get out there and try as many of the potential candidates as you can and not be too worried about the frame material. A lot of part carbon / alu / Ti bikes will ride better than full carbon ones and won't necessarily weigh a huge amount more once built up. It also depends on the type of riding you mainly want this for - is it mostly commuting, racing, longer sportives.....

I think I am going to be facing a similar choice this year come "upgrade time", and am currently wavering between a few of the options you suggested and a Ti sportive type frame like the Planet X. Hoping to try a Cervelo RS soon as that might just be within budget, but a lot of people recommend trying the alu S1 too - the price would mean a much bigger budget for componentry....
  • rolf_f
    StuAff wrote:
    And oh yes, which bike shop sold this one to its first owner? Epic. You know, who made noises about Viner quality issues before dropping them.....!!!

Should be a bit careful there - Epic were hugely keen on Viner. Sounds like you are implying they deliberately mis-assembled a bike in order to justify ditching a franchise unless you have some damn good evidence. Remember, we don't know the whole story and what you've posted is in direct contradiction to what I've been told so what one side might say is only half the story. And bear in mind that Viner UK seems pretty dead in the water now - the website is a mess and hasn't been updated since August and the English Language Viner website seems to have disappeared totally (I can't find it anyway). Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Viner but I think it is wishful thinking to think that the company doesn't have some problems at the moment.